A compact microstrip-fed ultra-wideband (UWB) planar monopole antenna with dual band rejected characteristic is presented in this paper. By etching two identical square complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) in the radiation patch, dual band rejections in the WiMAX and WLAN bands are achieved. The proposed antenna, with the size of 30 × 34 mm2, has been constructed and tested. And the measured results show that the antenna can operate over the frequency band between 3 and 11 GHz for VSWR<2 with dual band notches of 3.4-3.6 GHz and 5.1-5.9 GHz. Besides, in the working bands, the antenna shows good omnidirectional radiation patterns in the H-plane and monopole-like radiation patterns in the E-plane and has good time-domain characteristic as well.
2. Marchais , C., G. Le Ray, and A. Sharaiha, "Stripline slot antenna for UWB communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 5, 319-322, 2006.
3. Liu, , H.-W. and C.-F. Yang, "Miniature hook-shaped monopole antenna for UWB applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 4, 2010.
4. Chen , M.-E. and J.-H. Wang, "CPW-fed crescent patch antenna for UWB applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 10, 2008.
5. Chen , D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
6. Hu , Y.-S., M. Li, G.-P. Gao, J.-S. Zhang, and M.-K. Yang, "A double-printed trapezoidal patch dipole antenna for UWB applications with band notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 259-269, 2010.
7. Jiang, J.-B., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "A novel compact UWB notch-filter antenna with a dual-Y-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 165-170, 2010.
8. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
9. Zaker, R. , C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel modified UWB planar monopole antenna with variable frequency band-notch function," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 7, 112-114, 2008.
10. Yang, Y.-B., F.-S. Zhang, F. Zhang, L. Zhang, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel wideband monopole antenna with a tunable notched-band for 2.4 GHz WLAN and UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 93-102, 2010.
11. Li , X. , L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Ultra-wideband monopole antenna with four-band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 27-34, 2009.
12. Liao, X.-J., H.-C. Yang, N. Han, and Y. Li, "UWB antenna with dual narrow band notches for lower and upper WLAN bands," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 24, 2010.
13. Tu, S. , Y. C. Jiao, Y. Song, B. Yang, and X. Z. Wang, "A novel monopole dual band-notched antenna with tapered slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 49-57, 2009.
14. Zhang, X. , T.-L. Zhang, Y.-Y. Xia, Z.-H. Yan, and X.-M. Wang, "Planar monopole antenna with band-notch characterization for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 149-156, 2009.
15. Tang, , M.-C. , S. Xiao, T. Deng, D. Wang, J. Guan, B. Wang, and G.-D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372-1396, 2011.
16. Deng, J. Y., Y. Z. Yin, X. S. Ren, and Q. Z. Liu, "Study on a dual-band notched aperture UWB antenna using resonant Strip and CSRR," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 627-634, 2009.
17. Kim, D.-O., N.-I. Jo, D.-M. Choi, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of the ultra-wideband antenna with 5.2 GHz/5.8 GHz band rejection using rectangular Split-Ring Resonators (SRRs) loading," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2503-2512, 2009.
18. Montero-de-Paz, J. , E. Ugarte-Munoz, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
19. Falcone , F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative-ε stop-band microstrip lines based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Compoment Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, 2004.
20. Chu , Q.-X. and Y.-Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2008.
21. Marques , R. , F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design and Microwave Applications, Wiley Series in Microwave and Optical Engineering, New York, 2008.