A novel out-of-line series-fed patch array with low cross-polarization is presented in this paper. The element in the array is fed by a stub through one-port. The feeding stub is designed to be a novel curled-horn-shaped geometry, which can effectively suppress the cross-polarization due to its symmetry. The linear array consists of two identical subarrays which are located oppositely. By the antiphase feeding of two subarrays, the cross-polarization is further reduced. Furthermore, the theory analyses of the series-fed array indicate that it is competent for being applied to phased array systems. The simulated results show the cross-polarization levels of the linear array with 20 novel elements in E and H plane are lower than −30 dB and −60 dB, respectively. And, a prototype array is fabricated. Its low cross-polarization levels confirm the effective performance of the proposed design.
2. Pirhadi, A. G. A. Jafarabadi, "Design of modified microstrip combline array antenna for avionic application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 31-40, 2010.
3. Schuss, , J. J. and R. L. Bauer, "Axial ratio of balanced and unbalanced fed circularly polarized patch radiator arrays," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Symp. Dig., 286-289, 1987.
4. Waterhouse, R. B., "Small printed antennas with low cross-polarised field," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 15, 1280-1281, 1997.
5. Kan, H. K., R. B. Waterhouse, and D. Pavilckovski, "Small dual L-shaped printed antenna with low cross-polarized field," 4th International Conf. on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 78-81, 2004.
6. Vallecchi, A. and G. B. Gentili, "Design of dual-polarized series-fed microstrip array with low losses and high polarization purity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1791-1798, 2005.
7. Zhang, X. Y., Q. Xue, B. J. Hu, and S. L. Xie, "A wideband antenna with dual printed L-probes for low cross-polarization," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 5, 388-390, 2006.
8. Chin, C. H. K. , Q. Xue, H. Wong, and X. Y. Zhang, "Broadband patch antenna with low cross polarisation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 3, 137-138, 2007.
9. Hai, C.-H., T.-Y. Han, and T.-R. Chen, "Broadband aperture-coupled microstrip antennas with low cross polarization and back radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 187-197, 2008.
10. Hung, J., "A parallel-series-fed microstrip array with high efficiency and low cross-polarization," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 6, 230-233, 1992.
11. Patel, P. D. and M. R. Crawley, "A dual polarised microstrip antenna with low cross-polarisation for sar applications," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Symp. Dig., 1536-1539, 1996.
12. Mailloux , R. J., Phased Array Antenna Handbook, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Inc., Boston, 2005.