A dual mode shared aperture antenna consisting of two planer arrays of ring antennas is designed for L and S bands. The array of larger dimension surrounds the array of smaller dimension. The antennas are isolated from one another and fed separately. The antenna dimensions are optimized and prototyped. The antennas radiate separately in L and S bands with least coupling or no coupling. Measured results are in agreement with the simulations, depicting good performance in terms of impedance bandwidth, isolation, and gain.
2. Antar, Y. M., A. I. Ittipibbon, and A. K. Bhattacharya, "A dual frequency antenna using a single patch and an inclined slot," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 8, No. 6, 309-310, Apr. 1995, doi: 10.1002/mop.4650080613.
3. Murakami, Y., W. Chuio, I. Chiba, and M. Frujise, "Dual slot coupled microstrip antenna for dual frequency operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 22, 1906-1907, Oct. 1993, doi: 10.1049/el:19931268.
4. Deepkumar, M., J. George, C. K. Anandan, P. Mohanan, and K. G. Nair, "Broadband dual frequency microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 17, 1531-1532, Aug. 1996, doi: 10.1049/el:19961056.
5. Long, S. and M. Walton, "A dual frequency stacked circular disc antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 27, No. 2, 1281-1285, Mar. 1979, doi: 10.1109/TAP.1979.1142078.
6. Dahele, J., K. Lee, and D. Wong, "Dual frequency stacked annular ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 11, 1281-1285, Nov. 1987, doi: 10.1109/TAP.1987.1143997.
7. Wang, J., R. Fralich, C. Wu, and J. Litva, "Multifunctional aperture coupled stacked antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 26, No. 25, 2067-2068, Dec. 1990, doi: 10.1049/el:19901333.
8. Davidson, S. E., S. A. Long, and W. F. Richards, "Dual-band microstrip antenna with monolithic reactive loading," Electronics Letters, Vol. 21, No. 20, 936-937, Sep. 1985, doi: 10.1049/el:19850662.
9. Pan, S. C. and K. L. Wong, "Dual frequency triangular microstrip antenna with a shorting pin," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 12, 1889-1891, Dec. 1997, doi: 10.1109/8.650213.
10. Vetharatnam, G., C. B. Kuan, and C. H. Teik, "Combined feed network on a shared aperture dual band dual polarized array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 297-299, 2005, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2005.855636.
11. Sun, Z., K. P. Esselle, S.-S. Zhong, and Y. J. Guo, "Shared aperture dual band dual polarization array using sandwiched stacked patch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 183-195, 2014.
12. Zhuo, S. G. and T. H. Chio, "Dual wideband and dual polarized shared aperture antenna," International Symposium on Antenna and Propagation (ISAP), 798-801, 2012.
13. Zhong, S. S., Z. Sun, L. B. Kong, C. Gao, W. Wang, and M. P. Jin, "Tri-band dual-polarization shared aperture Microstrip Array for SAR applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4157-4165, Sep. 2012, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2012.2207034.
14. Sharma, D. K., S. Kulshrestha, S. B. Chakrabarty, and R. Jyoti, "Shared aperture dual band dual polarization microstrip patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 4, Feb. 2013, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.27414.
15. Mahajan, M., S. K. Khah, and T. Chakravarty, "Extended cavity model analysis of stacked circular disc," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 287-308, 2006.
16. Row, J. S., "Design of annular ring microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 2, Jul. 2004, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.20237.
17. Mahajan, M., S. K. Khah, T. Chakravarty, and A. De, "Resonant frequency of asymmetrically loaded annular microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 9, 2351-2353, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.23673.
18. Mahajan, M., S. K. Khah, T. Chakravarty, and A. De, "Computation of resonant frequency of annular microstrip antenna loaded with multiple shorting posts," IET Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1-5, 2008, doi: 10.1049/iet-map:20070057.