Advancements in functionalities and operating frequencies of integrated circuits lead to the necessity to study Electromagnetic Compatibility/Electromagnetic Emissions (EMC/EMEs) from these devices. In this work, a methodology is developed, which combines near field electromagnetic measurements and 3D layout simulation of an Integrated Circuit (IC), to identify the sources of EME from a commercial IC. This methodology can help to narrow down the area of key importance with respect to EME sources, instead of the entire IC, before it is fabricated. Consequently, IC designers can optimize their design to minimize the EME before fabrication, saving cost and time significantly.
2. Sangwan, V., D. Kapoor, and C. M. Tan, "Additional IC layout rule from the perspective of electromagnetic emissions for high frequency integrated circuits," 2nd International Conference on Communication Engineering and Technology (ICCET), 173-177, 2019.
3. Kapoor, D., V. Sangwan, and C. M. Tan, "Potential electromagnetic interference in 3D stack dices integrated circuits ," IEEE Access, under review, 2019.
4. Jiao, D., S. Chakravarty, and C. Dai, "Layered finite element method for electromagnetic analysis of large-scale high-frequency integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 422-432, 2007.
5. Shalf, J. M. and R. Leland, "Computing beyond Moore’s law," Computer, Vol. 48, No. 12, 14-23, 2015.
6. Tummala, R. R., "Moore’s law for packaging to replace Moore’s law for ICS," Pan Pacific Microelectronics Symposium, 1-6, 2019.
7. Naffziger, S., "Technology impacts from the new wave of architectures for media-rich workloads," Symposium on VLSI Technology --- Digest of Technical Papers, 6-10, 2011.
8. Sangwan, V., D. Kapoor, and C. M. Tan, "High frequency electromagnetic simulation and optimization for GaN-HEMT power amplifier IC," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 61, No. 2, 564-571, 2019.
9. Zukauskas, A., M. R. Shur, and R. Gaska, Introduction to Solid-State Lighting, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
10. Kim, M. C., "Optically adjustable display color gamut in time-sequential displays using LED/Laser light sources," Displays, Vol. 27, No. 4-5, 137-144, 2006.
11. Yang, Y., X. Ruan, L. Zhang, J. He, and Z. Ye, "Feed-forward scheme for an electrolytic capacitor-less AC/DC LED driver to reduce output current ripple," Power Electronics, Vol. 29, 5508-5517, 2014.
12. Jettanasen, C. and C. Pothisarn, "Analytical study of harmonics issued from LED lamp driver," Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, Vol. II, 1-4, 2014.
13. Niu, J., Y. Song, Z. Li, and W. A. Halang, "Reducing EMI in half-bridge resonant LED drivers with chaos-based PWM," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 637-640, 2013.
14. Svilainis, L., "LED brightness control for video display application," Displays, Vol. 29, No. 5, 506-511, 2008.
15. Ahn, J. H., "Implementation of an LED tile controller for high-quality image display," Displays, Vol. 34, No. 1, 17-26, 2013.
16. Ando, N., N. Masuda, N. Tarnaki, T. Kuriyama, S. Saito, K. Kato, K. Ohashi, M. Saito, and M. Yarnaguchi, "Miniaturized thin-film magnetic field probe with high spatial resolution for LSI chip measurement," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 2, 357-362, 2004.
17. Zienkiewicz, O. C. and R. L. Taylor, The Finite Element Method for Solid and Structural Mechanics, Elsevier, 2005.