Double-sided open periodic structures are analyzed using inhomogeneous plane wave scattering. The leaky and surface wave modes of several unit cells of different structures are computed using the poles of generalized reflection and transmission coefficients of inhomogeneous plane waves in the spectral domain. It is shown that the reflection and transmission coefficients of the zeroth order Floquet mode contain the poles of the Green's function of the complex stratified periodic structure. The properties of evanescent mode amplification as well as super resolution near field imaging in a wire medium are addressed. A balanced leaky wave antenna unit cell with double-sided radiation feature is introduced and it is shown that, in contrast to grounded structures, total absorption in lossless non-chiral double-sided open unit cells is not feasible as long as the behavior of the unit cell is well described by its fundamental mode.
2. Michalski, K. A. and J. R. Mosig, "Multilayered media Green’s functions in integral equation formulations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 3, 508-519, 1997.
3. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 114, No. 2, 185-200, 1994.
4. Vande Ginste, D., H. Rogier, and D. De Zutter, "Perfectly matched layer based modelling of layered media: Overview and perspective," URSI International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS), 803-806, 2010.
5. Olyslager, F., "Discretization of continuous spectra based on perfectly matched layers," SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1408-1433, 2004.
6. Michalski, J. J. and P. Kowalczyk, "Efficient and systematic solution of real and complex eigenvalue problems employing simplex chain vertices searching procedure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 9, 2197-2205, 2011.
7. Schulz, N., K. Bierwirth, F. Arndt, and U. Koster, "Finite-difference method without spurious solutions for the hybrid-mode analysis of diffused channel waveguides," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 38, No. 6, 722-729, 1990.
8. Bozzi, M., S. Germani, L. Minelli, L. Perregrini, and P. de Maagt, "Efficient calculation of the dispersion diagram of planar electromagnetic band-gap structures by the MoM/BI-RME method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 29-35, 2003.
9. Tooni, S. and T. F. Eibert, "Excitation of complex modes of periodic structures using inhomogeneous plane wave scattering in fast and slow wave regions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 12, 6290-6298, 2014.
10. Eibert, T. F., Y. Weitsch, H. Chen, and M. E. Gruber, "Solving periodic eigenproblems by solving corresponding excitation problems in the domain of the eigenvalue," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 65-84, 2012.
11. Burghignoli, P., G. Lovat, F. Capolino, D. R. Jackson, and D. R. Wilton, "Leaky modes on a grounded wire-medium slab," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1663-1666, 2007.
12. Tassin, P., I. Veretennicoff, and G. Van der Sande, "Veselagos lens consisting of left-handed materials with arbitrary index of refraction," Optics Communications, Vol. 264, No. 1, 130-134, 2006.
13. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Physical insight into the “growing” evanescent fields of double-negative metamaterial lenses using their circuit equivalence," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 1, 268-272, 2006.
14. Grbic, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Negative refraction, growing evanescent waves, and sub-diffraction imaging in loaded transmission-line metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 12, 2297-2305, 2003.
15. Belov, P. A. and Y. Hao, "Subwavelength imaging at optical frequencies using a transmission device formed by a periodic layered metal-dielectric structure operating in the canalization regime," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, No. 11, 113110-113113, 2006.
16. Eibert, T. F., Y. E. Erdemli, and J. L. Volakis, "Hybrid finite element-fast spectral domain multilayer boundary integral modeling of doubly periodic structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2517-2520, 2003.
17. Eibert, T. F., J. L. Volakis, D. R. Wilton, and D. R. Jackson, "Hybrid FE/BI modeling of 3-D doubly periodic structures utilizing triangular prismatic elements and an MPIE formulation accelerated by the Ewald transformation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 5, 843-850, 1999.
18. Eibert, T. F., "A multilevel fast spectral domain algorithm for electromagnetic analysis of infinite periodic arrays with large unit cells," Advances in Radio Science, Vol. 4, No. 4, 111-115, 2006.
19. Hu, B., W. C. Chew, E. Michielssen, and J. Zhao, "Fast inhomogeneous plane wave algorithm for the fast analysis of two-dimensional scattering problems," Radio Science, Vol. 34, No. 4, 759-772, 1999.
20. Craeye, C., N. Ozdemir, E. Martini, and S. Maci, "Complex patterns devoted to physical compression of MoM matrices," 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 3832-3835, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2013.
21. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "Multilayered media Green’s functions in integral equation formulations," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, No. 20, 207402-207405, 2008.
22. Dural, G. and M. I. Aksun, "Closed-form Green’s functions for general sources and stratified media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 43, No. 7, 1545-1552, 1995.
23. Eibert, T. F. and V. Hansen, "3-D FEM/BEM-hybrid approach based on a general formulation of Huygens’ principle for planar layered media," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 45, No. 7, 1105-1112, 1997.
24. Tooni, S., L. Vietzorreck, and T. F. Eibert, "Spectral domain analysis of double sided periodic structures," 9th European Conference on Antenna and Propagation (EuCAP), Lisbon, Portugal, 2015.
25. Tooni, S., L. Vietzorreck, and T. F. Eibert, "Using metamaterial resonators for controlling surface wave modes in an open waveguide," German Microwave Conference (GeMic), Nuremberg, Germany, 2015.
26. Yan, Z., P. A. Belov, and H. Yang, "Amplification of evanescent spatial harmonics and subwavelength imaging inside of a wire medium slab," SBMO/IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference, IMOC, 474-477, 2007.
27. CST, "Computer simulation technology: Microwave studio,", http://www.cst.com/.
28. Simovski, C. R., A. J. Viitanen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Resonator mode in chains of silver spheres and its possible application," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, No. 6, 066606-066615, 2005.
29. Bongard, F., J. Perruisseau-Carrier, and J. R. Mosig, "Enhanced periodic structure analysis based on a multiconductor transmission line model and application to metamaterials," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 57, No. 11, 2715-2726, 2009.