The pattern synthesis for large antenna arrays is very important because of its wide applications. Several antenna array synthesis techniques for planar antenna array have been developed in the past years. In this paper, a hybrid method for solving antenna array pattern synthesis problem is introduced. The proposed method has three steps. Firstly, the iterative fast Fourier transforms (IFT) is used to generate a number of initial array excitations based on aim pattern. Then, the global optimization method differential evolution strategy (DES) is used to optimize these excitations based on initial excitations. After that, if the optimized pattern does not satisfy the goal, the simulated annealing (SA) method is applied to optimize the excitations until the goal is achieved or the maximum iteration is reached. Several simulation results show that the desired pattern can be effectively synthesized by using the proposed method.
2. Constantine, A. Balanis, Antenna Theory, Wiley, New York, 1997.
3. Durr, M., A. Trastoy, and F. Ares, "Multiple-pattern linear antenna arrays with single prefixed distributions: Modified Woodward-Lawson synthesis," Electron. Lett., Vol. 26, 1345-1346, 2000.
4. Li, M., Y. Chang, Y. Li, J. Dong, and X. Wang, "Optimization polarized pattern synthesis of wideband arrays via convex optimization," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, No. 15, 1228-1237, 2013.
5. Fuchs, B., "Application of convex relaxation to array synthesis problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 62, No. 2, 634-640, Feb. 2014.
6. Yan, K. K. and Y. Lu, "Sidelobe reduction in array-pattern synthesis using genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 7, 1117-1122, Jul. 1997.
7. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase only synthesis of dual-beam pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007.
8. Bevelacqua, P. J. and C. A. Balanis, "Minimum sidelobe levels for linear arrays," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2210-2217, Dec. 2007.
9. Recioui, A., "Sidelobe level reduction in linear array pattern synthesis using particle swarm optimization," Jour. of Optimization Theory and Applic., Vol. 153, 497-512, 2012.
10. Khodier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 2674-2679, Aug. 2005.
11. Yang, S., Y. B. Gan, and A. Qing, "Sideband suppression in time-modulated linear arrays by the differential evolution algorithm," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2002, No. 1, 173-175, 2002.
12. Rainer, S. and K. Price, "Differential evolution --- A simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces," J. of Global Optimization, Vol. 4, 341-359, 1997.
13. Yikai, C., et al., "The application of a modified differential evolution strategy to some array pattern synthesis problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 1919-1927, 2008.
14. Trucco, A., "Thinning and weighting of large planar arrays by simulated annealing," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelect., Freq. Control, Vol. 46, No. 2, 347-355, Mar. 1999.
15. Trucco, A., E. Omodei, and P. Repetto, "Synthesis of sparse planar arrays," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 22, 1834-1835, Oct. 1997.
16. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Fast low-sidelobe synthesis for large planar array antennas utilizing successive fast Fourier transforms of the array factor," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 3, 715-722, Mar. 2007.
17. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Low-sidelobe pattern synthesis using iterative fourier techniques coded in MATLAB," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 2, 137-150, Apr. 2009.
18. Bucci, O. M., G. Franceschetti, G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Intersection approach to array pattern synthesis," IEE Proc.-Pt. H, Vol. 137, No. 6, 349-357, Dec. 1990.
19. Bucci, O. M., G. D’Elia, G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Antenna pattern synthesis: A new general approach," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 82, No. 3, 358-371, Mar. 1994.
20. Quijano, J. L. A. and G. Vecchi, "Alternating adaptive projections in antenna synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 3, 727-737, Mar. 2010.
21. Li, W. T., X.-W. Shi, and Y.-Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 319-332, 2008.
22. Pozar, D. M., "The active element pattern," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, No. 8, 1176-1178, Aug. 1994.
23. Storn, R., "On the usage of differential evolution for function optimization," Annual Conference of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society-NAFIPS, 519-523, 1996.
24. Chen, Y., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "The application of a modified differential evolution strategy to some array pattern synthesis problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 1919-1927, 2008.
25. Liu, J., Z. Zhao, K. Yang, and Q. H. Liu, "A hybrid optimization for pattern synthesis of large antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 81-91, 2014.
26. Fong, T. S. and R. A. Birgenheier, "Method of conjugate gradients for antenna pattern synthesis," Radio Sci., Vol. 6, 1123-1130, 1971.
27. Franceschetti, G., et al., "Array synthesis with excitation constraints," IEE Proceedings H: Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 135, No. 6, 400-407, 1988.
28. Lebret, H. and S. Boyd, "Antenna array pattern synthesis via convex optimization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 45, No. 3, 526-532, 1997.