We describe how antenna sum patterns can be controlled by modifying just the phase distribution of the excitation. As examples, we calculate linear and circular aperture distributions affording symmetric sum patterns with low side lobe levels, and linear aperture distributions affording patterns with low sidelobe levels on one side of the beam.
1. Frey, J. R. and R. S. Elliott, "Phase-only changes in aperture excitation to achieve sum patterns with asymmetric side lobes," Alta Frequenza, Vol. 51, 31-35, 1982.
2. Trastoy, A. and F. Ares, "Phase-only synthesis of continuous linear aperture distribution patterns with asymmetric side lobes," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 20, 1916-1917, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19981340
3. De Ford, J. F. and O. P. Gandhi, "Phase-only synthesis of minimum peak sidelobe patterns for linear and planar arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, No. 2, 191-201, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1096
4. Haupt, R. L., "Phase-only adaptive nulling with a genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 6, 1009-1015, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.585749
5. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in C, New York, 1992.
6. Taylor, T. T., "Design of the line source antennas for narrow beamwidth and low sidelobes," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, 16-28, 1955. doi:10.1109/TPGAP.1955.5720407
7. Elliott, R. S., "Design of line source antennas for sum patterns with sidelobes of individually arbitrary heights," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 24, 76-83, 1976. doi:10.1109/TAP.1976.1141287
8. Ares, F., R. S. Elliott, and E. Moreno, "Optimized synthesis in shaped line-source antenna beams," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 12, 1136-1137, 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19930758
9. Taylor, T. T., "Design of circular apertures for narrow beamwidth and low sidelobes," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 8, 17-22, 1960. doi:10.1109/TAP.1960.1144807