Characteristics of surface wave modes on a grounded slab of negative permittivity and negative permeability parameters are investigated. It is shown that, unlike a slab with positive parameters, the dominant mode can have evanescent fields on both sides of the interface between the slab and the surrounding air. Detailed characteristics of such mode for various combinations of the slab parameters are given.
2. Lindell, I. V., S. A. Tretyakov, K. I. Nikoskinen, and S. Ilvonen, "BW media-media with negative parameters, capable of supporting backward waves," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 2, 129-133, 2001.
3. Lindell, I. V. and S. Ilvonen, "Waves in a slab of uniaxial BW medium," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl. (Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications), Vol. 16, No. 3, 303-318, 2002.
4. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 3966-3969, 2000.
5. Smith, D. R. and N. Kroll, "Negative refraction index in left handed materials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 2933-2936, 2000.
6. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Microwave transmission through a two-dimensional, isotropic, left-handed metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 78, 489-491, 2001.
7. Engheta, N., "An idea for thin subwavelength cavity resonators using metamaterial with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 10-13, 2002.
8. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Radiation from a traveling wave current sheet at the interface between a conventional material and a metamaterial with negative permittivity and permeability," Mic. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 6, 460-463, 2001.
9. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Anomalous mode coupling in guided wave structures containing metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," Proc. IEEE Nano 2002 Conference, 26-28, 2002.
10. Lakhtakia, A., M. W. McCall, and W. S. Weiglhofer, "Brief overview of recent developments on negative phase-velocity mediums (alias left-handed materials)," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 56, 407-410, 2002.
11. Cory, H. and A. Barger, "Surface wave propagation along a metamaterial slab," Mic. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 5, 392-395, 2003.
12. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Resonances in sub-wavelength cylindrical structures made of pairs of double-negative and double positive or ε negative and μ negative coaxial shells," Proc. of 2003 Intl. Conf. On Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 8-12, 2003.
13. Tretyakov, S. A., S. I. Maslovski, I. S. Nevedov, and M. K. Kärkkäinen, "Evanescent modes stored in cavity resonators with backward wave slabs," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 2, 153-157, 2003.