Depolarization factors of scatterers within anisotropic media are functions of not only the shape of the inclusion but also of the degree of anisotropy of the environment. In this contribution the depolarization factors are studied for anisotropic metamaterials. In such case, qualitatively new phenomena appear because the effective axial ratio of the scatterers, which determines the depolarization factors, may become complex. The negative real part of the depolatization factors is interpreted as "repolarization." The effect of the various parameters on the depolarization factors and effective dielectric parameters are analyzed and discussed for both three- and two-dimensional mixtures, with emphasis on the dissipative character of the homogenized metamaterials.
2. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 92, No. 4, 517-526, 1967.
3. Mandelstam, L. I., "Group velocity in crystal lattice," Zhurnal Experimentalnoi i Teoreticheskoi Fiziki-Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics (JETP), Vol. 15, 1945.
4. Holloway, C. L., E. F. Kuester, J. Baker-Jarvis, and P. Kabos, "A double negative (DNG) composite medium composed of magnetodielectric spherical particles embedded in a matrix," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation (Special Issue on Metamaterials), Vol. 51, No. 10, 2596-2603, 2003.
5. Sihvola, A., "Electromagnetic emergence in metamaterials," Advances in Electromagnetics of Complex Media and Metamaterials, Vol. 89, 1-17, 2003.
6. See, for instance, for instance, Vol. 51, No. 10, the Special Issue on Metamaterials, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, Part I, 2003.
7. Smith, D. R. and D. Schurig, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in media with indefinite permittivity and permeability tensors," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 90, No. 7, 077405, 2003.
8. Schurig, D. and D. R. Smith, "Spatial filtering using media with indefinite permittivity and permeability tensors," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 82, No. 14, 2215-2217, 2003.
9. Garnett, J. C. M., "Colours in metal glasses and metal films," Transactions on the Royal Society, Vol. CCIII, 385-420, 1904.
10. Lindell, I. V., Methods for Electromagnetic Field Analysis, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, 1995.
11. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, EMW Publishing, Cambridge, MA, USA, 2000.
12. Sihvola, A., Electromagnetic Mixing Formulas and Applications, Electromagnetic Wave Series 47, IEE Publishing, London, 1999.
13. Sihvola, A. H. and I. V. Lindell, "Electrostatics of an anisotropic ellipsoid in an anisotropic environment," AEÜ International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 50, No. 5, 289-292, 1996.
14. Landau, L. D. and E. M. Lifshitz, Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, Section 13, Second Edition, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1984.
15. Osborn, J. A., "Demagnetizing factors of the general ellipsoid," The Physical Review, Vol. 67, No. 11-12, 351-357, 1945.
16. Stoner, E. C., "The demagnetizing factors for ellipsoids," Philosophical Magazine, Vol. 36, No. 263, 803-821, 1945.