We present a theoretical analysis of the radiation of an S-shaped split ring resonator (S-SRR) for the realization of a metamaterial exhibiting left-handed properties. It is shown that the structure is resonant due to its internal capacitances and inductances, which can be adjusted such that the electric plasma frequency and magnetic plasma frequency, both due to the S-SRR only, appear within the same frequency band. Using the same idea, we also present some extended S-shaped split-ring resonator structures with improved performance.
2. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
3. Marqués, R., F. Medina, and R. Rafii-El-Idrissi, "Role of bianisotropy in negative permeability and left-handed metamaterials," Phys. Rev. B., Vol. 65, 1-6, 2002.
4. O'Brien, S. and J. B. Pendry, "Magnetic activity at infrared frequencies in structured metallic photonic crystals," J. Phys: Condens. Matter, Vol. 14, 6383-6394, 2002.
5. Grzegorczyk, T. M., C. D. Moss, J. Lu, X. Chen, J. P. Pacheco Jr., and J. A. Kong, "Properties of left-handed metamaterials: transmission, backward phase, negative refraction, and focusing," submitted to MTT, 2005.
6. Chen, H., L. Ran, J. Huangfu, X. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Left-handed material composed of only S-shaped resonators," submitted, 2004.
7. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of μ and ε," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
8. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 4773-4776, 1996.
9. Sievenpiper, D. F., E. Yablonovitch, J. N. Winn, S. Fan, P. R. Villeneuve, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "3D metallo-dielectric photonic crystals with strong capacitive coupling between metallic islands," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 80, 2829-2832, 1998.
10. Kong, J. A., "Electromagnetic waves in stratified negative isotropic media," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 1-52, 2002.
11. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Marko, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B., Vol. 65, 1-5, 2002.
12. Chen, X., T. M. Grzegorczyk, B.-I. Wu, J. P. Pacheco Jr., and J. A. Kong, "Improved method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 70, No. 016608, 1-7, 2004.
13. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Low frequency plasmons in thin-wire structures," J. Phys. C., Vol. 10, 4785-4808, 1998.