In this paper, a microstrip inset-fed patch antenna covered by plasma sheath is simulated by using the (FD)2TD algorithm. Expressions of calculating the coefficients in the electric field update equation for cold plasma are presented in detail. Computational examples illustrate that the resonant frequency of the patch antenna covered by plasma sheath is changed. The curves presented in this paper may be useful when introducing appropriate corrections in the design of the microstrip patch antennas in the plasma environment.
Z. H. Qian,
"FDTD Analysis of Microstrip Patch Antenna Covered by Plasma Sheath," ,
Vol. 52, 173-183, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04080901
1. Bahl, I. J., P. Bhartia, and andS. S. Stuchly, "Designof microstrip antennascoveredwithadielectriclayer," IEEETransactionson Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 3, 314-318, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142766
2. Kashiwa, T., N. Yoshida, and I. Fukai, "Time domain analysis of patch antennas in a magnetized plasma by the spatial network method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 2, 147-150, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.68175
3. Luebbers, R. et al., "A frequency-dependent finite-difference time-domain formulation for dispersive materials," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 32, No. 8, 222-227, 1990. doi:10.1109/15.57116
4. Luebbers, R. J., F. Hunsberger, and K. S. Kunz, "A frequency-dependent finite-difference time-domain formulation for transient propagation in plasma," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 1, 29-34, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.64431
5. Kelley, D. F. and R. J. Luebbers, "Piecewise linear recursive convolution for dispersive media using FDTD," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 6, 792-797, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.509882
6. Qian, Y. and T. Itoh, FDTD Analysis and Design of Microwave Circuits and Antennas (Software and Applications), Realize Inc., Tokyo, 1999.
7. Cummer, S. A., "An analysis of new and existing FDTD methods for isotropic cold plasma and a method for improving their accuracy," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 3, 392-400, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.558654
8. Young, J. L. and R. O. Nelson, "A summary and systematic analysis of FDTD algorithms for linearly dispersive media," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, No. 2, 61-77, 2001. doi:10.1109/74.920019
9. Liu, S., N. Yuan, and J. Mo, "A novel FDTD formulation for dispersive media," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 5, 187-189, 2003. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.811668
10. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theoryâ€”Analysis and Design, 2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997.