The radiation properties of an axially slotted circular or elliptical antenna coated with metamaterials are investigated. The fields inside and outside the dielectric coating are expressed in terms of Mathieu functions. The boundary conditions at various surfaces are enforced to obtain the unknown field expansion coefficients. Numerical results are presented graphically for the radiation pattern, aperture conductance and antenna gain for the TM case. It was found that slotted antenna coated with metamaterials has more directive beam with lower sidelobes compared to coated with conventional dielectric material.
2. Knop, C. M., "External admittance of an axial slot on a dielectric coated metal cylinder," Radio Sci., Vol. 3, No. 8, 803-818, 1968.
3. Shafai, L., "Radiation from an axial slot antenna coated with a homogenous material," Canadian J. Phys., Vol. 50, No. 23, 1972.
4. Wong, J. Y., "Radiation pattern of slotted elliptic cylinder antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-3, No. 10, 200-203, 1955.
5. Wong, J. Y., "Radiation conductance of axial and transverse slots in cylinders of elliptical cross section," Proc. IRE, Vol. 41, No. 9, 1172-1177, 1953.
6. Richmond, J. H., "Axial slot antenna on dielectric coated elliptic cylinder," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-37, No. 10, 1235-1241, 1989.
7. Ragheb, H. A., A. Sebak, and L. Shafai, "Radiation by axial slots on dielectric coated nonconfocal conducting elliptic cylinder," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 143, No. 2, 124-130, 1996.
8. Hussein, M. I. and A-K. Hamid, "Radiation characteristics of N axial slots on a conducting elliptical antenna coated by a lossy dielectric layer," Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol. 82, No. 2, 141-149, 2004.
9. Ruppin, R., "Extinction properties of a sphere with negative permittivity and permeability," Solid State Communications, Vol. 116, 411-415, 2000.
10. Engheta, N., "An idea for thin subwavelength cavity resonators using metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 10-13, 2002.
11. Li, C. and Z. Shen, "Electromagnetic scattering by a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 42, 91-105, 2003.
12. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Physical Review B, Vol. 65, 195104-5, 2004.
13. Morse, P. M. and H. Feshbach, Methods of Theoretical Physics, Vols. I and II, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1953.