Based on the Mie theory, the light scattering properties of clouds consisting of pure water, pure ice spheres and concentric water- ice spheres are studied in the near-infrared regions, respectively. We computed the single scattering albedo, phase function, and asymmetry parameters of water clouds, ice clouds, and ice-water mixed clouds. The near infrared reflectivity of the ice-water mixed clouds is computed by using the adding-doubling method and compared to the other two types of clouds. It is shown that it is possible to use the near infrared reflectivity to derive the microphysical characteristics of the clouds.
2. Van de Hulst, H. C., Multiple Lights Scattering: Tables, formulas and application, Academic Press, New York, 1980.
3. Liou, K. N., An Introduction to Atmospheric Radiation, Second edition, China Meteorological Press, 2002.
4. Kokhanovsky, A., "Optical properties of terrestrial clouds," Earth- Science Reviews, Vol. 64, 189-241, 2004.
5. Wu, Z. S., L. X. Guo, K. F. Ren, G. Gouesbet, and G. Grehan, "Improved algorithm for electromagnetic scattering of plane waves and shaped beams by multilayered sphere," Applied Optics, Vol. 36, No. 21, 5188-5198, 1997.
6. Mishchenko, M. I., J. M. Dlugach, and E. G. Yanovitskij, "Bidirectional reflectance of flat, optically thick particulate layers: an efficient radiative transfer solution and applications to snow and soil surfaces," Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy & Radiative Transfer, Vol. 63, 409-432, 1999.
7. Van de Hulst, H. C., Light Scattering by Little Particles, Wiley, New York, 1957.
8. Sobolev, V. V. Z, Light Scattering in Planetary Atmospheres, Nauka, Moscow, 1974.
9. Kokhanovsky, A., Light Scattering Media Optics: Problem and solutions, Third edition, Springer-Praxis, 2002.
10. Van de Hulst, H. C., "A new look at multiple scattering," Tech. Rept., 1963.
11. Hansen, J. E., "Multiple scattering of polarized light in planetary atmospheres. Part 1. The doubling method," Journal of Atmospheric Science, Vol. 28, 120-125, 1971.
12. de Haan, J. F., P. B. Bosma, and J. W. Hovenier, "The adding method for multiple scattering calculations of polarized light," Astron. Astrophys., Vol. 183, 370-391, 1987.