With the use of scalar field approximation we make an analytical study of a dielectric waveguide whose core cross-section is bounded by two spirals of the form 1/r = ξθ. This waveguide is similar to that of a distorted slab waveguide in which both a curvature and a flare are present. We derived the modal characteristic equation by analytical analysis under the weak guidance approximation. We find the modal dispersion curve, which support only single mode propagation and the same compared with the same kind of waveguide with metal claddings.
"Modal Dispersion Characteristics of a Single Mode Dielectric Optical Waveguide with a Guiding Region Cross-Section Bounded by Two Involuted Spirals," ,
Vol. 73, 1-13, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022702
1. Broland, W. C., D. E. Zelmon, C. J. Radens, J. T. Boyd, and H. E. Jackson, "Propagation of the four layer planer optical waveguide near cutoff," IEEE J. Quantum Electron, Vol. 23, 1172-1197, 1978. doi:10.1109/JQE.1987.1073487
2. Marcatilli, E. A. J., "Dielectric rectangular waveguide and directional coupler for integrated optics," J. Bell Syst.Tech., Vol. 48, 2071-2102, 1969.
3. Goell, J. E., "A circular harmonic computer analysis of rectangular dielectric waveguide," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 48, 2133-2160, 1969.
4. Kumar, A., V. Thyargaranjan, and A. K. Ghatak, "Analysis of rectangular core dielectric waveguide: An accurate perturbation approach," Opt. Lett., Vol. 8, 63-65, 1983.
11. Singh, V., B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Weak guidance modal analysis and dispersion curve of an infrared guide having a core cross section with a new type of asymmetric loop boundary," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 6, 290-298, 2000. doi:10.1006/ofte.2000.0329
12. Panday, P. C., B. K. Panday, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal dispersion characteristics of a single mode metal coated optical waveguide with a guiding region cross-section bounded by two involuted spiral," Optik, Vol. 5, 211-214, 2000.
13. Singh, V., B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "Theoretical analysis and dispersion curves of an annular light guide with a cross-section bounded by two piet-hein curves," J. Electromagnetic Waves and Appl., Vol. 17, 1025-1036, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322519090
14. Polky, J. N. and G. L. Mitchell, "Metal-clad planar dielectric waveguide for integrated optics," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 64, 274-279, 1974.
18. Maurya, S. N., V. Singh, B. Prassad, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal analysis and waveguide dispersion of an optical waveguide having a cross section of the shape of Cardiod," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Application, Vol. 20, 1021-1035, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930277
19. Singh, V., Y. Prajapati, and J. P. Saini, "Modal analysis and dispersion curves of a new unconventional Bragg waveguide using a very simple method," Progress In Electrmagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 191-204, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06071101
20. Pandey, P. C., D. Singh, and S. P. Ojha, "Effect of metal loading on the modal dispersion characteristics an annular waveguide with guiding region section bounded by a square and a circle," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Application, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1157-1171, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042955298
21. Singh, K. S., P. C. Pandey, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal characteristics of a Gyroelectromagnatic Chirofiber having a dielectric cladding — An analytical study," Optik, Vol. 111, 211-214, 2000.
22. Srivastava, S. K., P. C. Pandey, U. N. Singh, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal propagation characteristics and the effect of pitch angle on the propagation modes of an annular circular waveguide having conducting helical windings on the inner and outer boundaries," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 33, 338-344, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10315
23. Varadan, V. K., A. Lakhtakia, and V. V. Varadan, "Propagation in a parallel-plate waveguide wholly filled with a chiral medium," J. Wave-Mater. Interaction, Vol. 3, 1988.
24. Yin, W. Y., P. Liand, and W. B. Wang, "Guided electromagnetic waves in a parallel-plate gyroelectromagnetic biaxial chirowaveguide," J. Mod. Opt., Vol. 41, 1994.
25. Choudhury, P. K. and T. Yoshino, "TE and TM modes power transmission through liquid crystal optical fibers," Optik, Vol. 115, No. 2, 49-56, 2004.
26. Reyes, J. A. and R. F. Rodriguer, "Guiding of optical fields in a liquid crystal cylindrical fibers," Optics Communications, Vol. 134, 349-361, 1997. doi:10.1016/S0030-4018(96)00515-9
27. Kumar, D. and O. N. Singh, "Elliptical and circular step index fibers with conducting helical winding on the core cladding boundaries for different winding pitch angles — A comparative modal dispersion analysis," Progress In Electrmagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 1-21, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04052002
28. Maurya, S. N., V. Singh, B. Prasad, and S. P. Ojha, "An optical waveguide with a hypocycloidal core cross section having a conducting sheath helix winding on the core cladding boundary a comparative modal dispersion study vis-a-vis a standard fiber with a sheath winding," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Application, Vol. 19, 1307-1326, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775525846