In recent years, there has been significant research interest in microwave applications of defected ground structures. In this paper, three kinds of Periodic Defected Ground Structures are analyzed to assess their effects on surface and leaky waves. To achieve this purpose, the finite element method accompanied by Periodic boundary conditions is used to show the propagation characteristics of these periodic structures. Also, the existence of surface wave reduction property is investigated and finally the simulation Results are compared to the experimental results with reasonable agreement.
"Guided and Leaky Wave Characteristics of Periodic Defected Ground Structures," ,
Vol. 73, 15-27, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07031701
1. Qiang, R., Y. Wang, and D. Chen, "A novel microstrip bandpass filter with two cascaded PBG structures," 2001 IEEE AP-S Digest, 510-513, 2001.
2. Kim, J. P. and W. S. Park, "Microstrip lowpass filter with multislots on ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 25, 1525-1526, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20011043
3. Sharma, R., T. Chakravarty, and S. Bhooshan, "Design of a novel 3 db microstrip backward wave coupler using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 261-273, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06100502
4. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, R. Coccioli, and T. Itoh, "Novel 2-D photonic bandgap structure for microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, No. 2, 69-71, 1998. doi:10.1109/75.658644
5. Dalili Oskouei, H. R. and Z. Atlasbaf, "A modified dual-mode band pass filter with DGS structures," 13th Conference on Microwave Techniques, 2005.
6. Ahn, D., et al., "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-91, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899965
7. Joung, M.-S., J.-S. Park, and H.-S. Kim, "A novel modeling method for defected ground structure using adaptive frequency sampling and its application to microwave oscillator design," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1656-1659, 2005.
8. Cho, Y. B., K. S. Jun, and I. S. Kim, "Small-size quasi-elliptic function microstrip low pass filter based on defected ground structures and open stubs," Microwave Journal, No. 2, 2004.
9. Li, G.-H., X.-H. Jiang, and X.-M. Zhong, "A novel defected ground structure and its application to a low pass filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 9, 453-456, 2006.
10. Kim, C. S., J. S. Lim, S. Nam, K. Y. Kang, and D. Ahn, "Equivalent circuit modeling of spiral defected ground structure for microstrip line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 19, 1109-1120, 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020742
11. Hamad, E. K. I., A. M. E. Safwat, and A. S. Omar, "Controlled capacitance and inductance behaviour of L-shaped defected ground structure for coplanar waveguide," IEE Proc.-Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 152, No. 5, 299-304, 2005.
12. Xue, Q., K. M. Shum, and C. H. Chan, "Novel 1-D microstrip PBG cells," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 10, 403-406, 2000. doi:10.1109/75.877226
13. Chen, J., Z. B. Weng, Y. C. Jion, and F. S. Zhang, "Lowpass filter design of hilbert curve ring defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 269-280, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07012603
14. Lim, I.-S., C.-S. Kim, Y.-T. Lee, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "Vertically periodic defected ground structure for planar transmission lines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 75, 803-804, 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20020483
15. Kim, C.-S., J.-S. Park, D. Ahn, and J.-B. Lim, "A novel 1- D periodic defected ground structure for planar circuits," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 4, 131-133, 2000. doi:10.1109/75.846922
16. Radisic, V., V. Disic, Y. Qian, R. Coccioli, and T. Itoh, "Novel 2D photonic bandgap structure for microsmp lines," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, 69-72, 1998. doi:10.1109/75.658644
17. Radisic, V., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Broadband power amplifier using dielectric photonic bandgap structure," IEEE Microwave Guide Wave Lett., Vol. 8, No. 1, 13-14, 1998. doi:10.1109/75.650973
18. Lim, J. S., S. W. Lee, C. S. Kim, J. S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. W. Nam, "A 4:1 unequal Wilkinson power divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 3, 124-126, 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.915624
19. Joung, M.-S., J.-S. Park, and H.-S. Kim, "A novel modeling method for defected ground structure using adaptive frequency sampling and its application to microwave oscillator design," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1656-1659, 2005.
20. Horii, Y. and M. Tsutsumi, "Harmonic control by photonic band gap on microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 9, No. 1, 13-14, 1999. doi:10.1109/75.752109
21. Yang, H.-Y. D., "Surface-wave elimination in integrated circuits with periodic substrates," IEEE Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., No. 6, 1807-1810, 1998.
22. Pozar, D. M., "Scan characteristics of infinite arrays of printed antenna subarrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 6, 666-674, 1992. doi:10.1109/8.144601
23. Gauthier, G. P., A. Courtay, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Microstrip Antennas on synthesized low dielectric-constant substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-45, 1310-1314, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.611252
24. Yabonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid state physics and electronics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2059-2062, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2059
25. John, S., "Strong localization of photonic in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486-248, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2486
26. Rahmatsamii, Y., "EM characterization of photonic band gap (PBG) structure: an overview," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, No. 6, 872-873, 1998.
27. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmatsamii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for lowprofle wire antenna application," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817559
28. Brown, E., C. Parker, and E. Yabonovitch, "Radiation properties of a planer antenna on a photonic crystal substrate," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 10, 1993.
29. Yang, H.-Y. D., "Characteristics of guided and leaky waves on a thin-film Structure with planar material gratings," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 3, 428-435, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.563343
30. Yang, H.-Y. D. and R. Kim, "Design consideration for modeless integrated circuit substrates using planar periodic patches," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2233-2239, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.898969
31. Remski, R., "Analysis of photonic bandgap (PBG) structures using Ansoft HFSS," Microwave Journal, No. 9, 2000.
32. Ishimaru, A., Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, Radiation and Scattering, Prentice Hall Book Company, New Jersey, 1991.
33. Collin, R. E. and F. J. Zucker, Antenna Theory, Part 2, McGraw- Hill Book Company, New York, 1969.
34. Yang, H.-Y. D., N. G. Alexopoulos, and E. Yablonovitch, "Photonic bandgap materials for high-gain printed circuit antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 1, 185-187, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.554261
35. Birllouin, L., Wave Propagation In Periodic Structures: Electric Filters and Crystal Lattices, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1946.