A new hybrid technique for optimization of a multivariable function is proposed. This method is applied to the problem of complex time Green's function of multilayer media. This technique combines Particle Swarm search algorithm with the gradient based quasi-Newton method. Superiority of the method is demonstrated by comparing its results with other optimization techniques.
"An Efficient Hybrid Swarm Intelligence-Gradient Optimization Method for Complex Time Green's Functions of Multilayer Media," ,
Vol. 77, 181-192, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072504
1. Eiben, A. E. and J. E. Smith, Introduction to Evolutionary Computing, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heildberg, 2003.
2. Mitchell, T., Machine Learning, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1997.
3. Fogel, D. B., "System identification through simulated evolution: A machine learning approach to modeling," Needham Heights, 1991.
4. Back, T., U. Harnmel, and H. P. Schwefel, "Evolutionary computation: Comments on the history and current state," IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., Vol. 1, No. 4, 3-17, 1997. doi:10.1109/4235.585888
5. Tu, T. C. and C. C. Chiu, "Path loss reduction in an urban area by genetic algorithms," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 319-330, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701696
6. Chen, X., D. Liang, and K. Huang, "Microwave imaging 3- D buried objects using parallel genetic algorithm combined with FDTD technique," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1761-1774, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292264
7. Tian, Y. B., "Ultraconveniently finding multiple solutions of complex transcendental equations based on genetic algorithm," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 475-488, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776117090
8. Sijher, T. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Antenna modeling by infinitesimal dipoles using genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 225-254, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04081801
9. Chen, X., K. Huang, and X.-B. Xu, "Microwave imaging of buried inhomogeneous objects using parallel genetic algorithm combined with FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 283-298, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04102902
10. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, Particle swarm optimization, Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. Neural Networks, Vol. 4, 1942-1948, 1995.
11. Lee, K. C. and J. Y. Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," Journal ofEle ctromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2001-2012, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322747
12. Mahmoud, K. R., M. El-Adawy, S. M. M. Ibrahem, R. Bansal, K. R. Mahmoud, and S. H. Zainud-Deen, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antenna systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030904
13. Song, M. P. and G. C. Gu, Research on particle swarm optimization: a review, Proc. Intl. Conf. Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Vol. 4, No. 8, 2236-2241, 2004.
14. Aminian, M., "Wide band analysis of Green's functions of multilayer media and its application in accurate and fast analysis in time domain," M.Sc. Thesis, 2002.
15. Aminian, A., R. Faraji-Dana, and N. Hojjat, "A new wideband closed-form Green's function for a HED over microstrip structure," IEEE. Intl. Symp. Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 4, No. 6, 3940-3943, 2004.
16. Chow, Y. L., J. J. Yang, D. G. Fang, and G. E. Howard, "A closed form spatial Green's function for the thick microstrip substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 3, 588-592, 1991. doi:10.1109/22.75309
17. Haddad, H., "A new time-domain analysis of microwave circuits using complex time Green's function," M.Sc. Thesis, 2005.
18. Mikki, S. M. and A. A. Kishk, "Physical theory for particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 171-207, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07051502
19. Shi, Y. and R. Eberhart, A modified particle swarm optimizer, Proc. IEEE World Cong. Computational Intelligence, 96-73, 1998.
20. Broyden, C. G., "The convergence of a class of double-rank minimization algorithms," J. Inst. Maths. Applics., Vol. 6, 76-90, 1970. doi:10.1093/imamat/6.1.76
21. Fletcher, R., "A new approach to variable metric algorithms," Computer Journal, Vol. 13, 317-322, 1970. doi:10.1093/comjnl/13.3.317
22. Goldfarb, D., "A family of variable metric updates derived by variational means," Mathematics ofComputing, Vol. 24, 23-26, 1970. doi:10.2307/2004873
23. Shanno, D. F., "Conditioning of quasi-newton methods for function minimization," Mathematics ofComputing, Vol. 24, 647-656, 1970. doi:10.2307/2004840
24. Mehrabian, A. and C. Lucas, "A novel numerical optimization algorithm inspired from weed colonization," Ecological Informatics, Vol. 1, No. 4, 355-366, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ecoinf.2006.07.003