This paper presents a novel modified Printed Tapered Monopole Antenna (PTMA)for ultra wideband (UWB)wireless communication applications. The proposed antenna consists of a truncated ground plane and two-tapered radiating patch separated by a slot (air gap)of different slopes, which provides a wideband behavior and relatively good matching. Moreover, the effects of a modified T-shaped slot inserted in the first tapered patch, on the impedance matching is investigated. The antenna has a small area of 23 × 26.5mm2 and offers an impedance bandwidth as high as 100% at a centre frequency of 7.2 GHz for S11 < −10 dB, which has an area reduction of 15% and a frequency bandwidth increment of 72% with respect to the previous similar antenna. The presented antenna covers the 5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN and 5.5 GHz WIMAX operating bands. Numerical analysis using Ansoft HFSS and measurement results is also presented in the paper.
"A Modified Microstrip-Fed Two-Step Tapered Monopole Antenna for UWB and WLAN Applications," ,
Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080701
1. Eldek, A. A., "Numerical analysis of a small ultra wideband microstrip-fed tap monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 59-69, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06082305
2. Zhao, G., F. S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z. B. Weng, and Y. C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07031405
3. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Dual-wideband square slot antenna with a U-shaped printed tuning stub for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 319-333, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04103001
4. Liu, W. C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed Gshaped monopole antenna for wlan application," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07041401
5. Verbiest, J. R. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "A novel smallsize printed tapered monopole antenna for UWB wban," IEEE Antennas Letters, Vol. 5, 377-379, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.881920
6. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A small wideband microstripfed monopole antenna," IEEE Microwave Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 703-705, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.856834
7. Jung, J., W. Choi, and J. Choi, "A compact broadband antenna with an L-shaped notch," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E89-B, No. 6, 1968-1971, 2006. doi:10.1093/ietcom/e89-b.6.1968
8. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "A wideband shorted planar monopole with bevel," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 901-903, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811061
9. Ansoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSS), Ver. 10, Ansoft Corporation, 2005., 2005.
10. FCC, ``First report, "First report and order on ultra-wideband technology," Tech. Rep., 2002.
11. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems,", Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939306776149879
12. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 861-871, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939307780749138
13. Liu, W. C. and C. F. Hsu, "CPW-fed notched monopole antenna for UMTS/IMT-2000/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 841-851, 2007.