Hemispherical dielectric resonator (HDR) antenna excited with a thick slot at the short circuited end of waveguide is analyzed theoretically and verified experimentally. The problems are formulated using the Green's function approach; with unknown slot currents solved using the method of moments (MOM). The HDR is modeled using exact magnetic field Green's function due to the equivalent magnetic current in the slot. The field inside the waveguide is expressed in terms of model vectors and modal functions. Thickness of the slot is analyzed using cavity approach. For the analysis of HDR antenna part, the modal series is represented as a sum of particular and homogeneous solutions. The particular solution is computed efficiently using spectral domain approach. In order to determine the effects of varying design parameters on bandwidth and matching, sensitivity analysis is carried out using the code developed. Measurements were carried out to verify the theory, and reasonable agreement between them is obtained.
2. Betzios, P. V., I. S. Karanasiou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Analysis of a dielectric resonator antenna by applying a combined semi-analytical method and simulation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1983-1994, 2007.
3. Song, Y. and A. R. Sebak, "Radiation pattern of aperture coupled prolate hemispheroidal dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 115-133, 2006.
4. Tadjalii, A., A. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Resonance frequencies and far field patterns of elliptical dielectric resonator antenna: Analytical approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 81-98, 2006.
5. Kishk, A. A., M. R. Zonoubi, and D. Kajfez, "A numerical study of a dielectric disc antenna above grounded dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. on Antenna Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 6, 813-821, 1993.
6. Kumar, A. V. P., V. Hamsakutty, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Microstripline FED cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with a coplanar parasitic strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 143-152, 2006.
7. Kishk, A. and A. W. Glisson, "Bandwidth enhancement for split cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 97-118, 2001.
8. Rezaei, P., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, "Design of wideband dielectric resonator antenna with a two segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 111-124, 2006.
9. Leung, K. W., K. M. Luk, K. Y. A. Lai, and D. Lin, "Theory and experiment of a coaxial probe-fed hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, 1390-1398, 1993.
10. Petosa, A., R. K. Mongia, A. Ittipiboon, and J. S. Wight, "Design of microstrip fed series array of dielectric resonator antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 16, 1306-1307, 1995.
11. Saed, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006.
12. Leung, K. W., K. Y. A. Lai, K. M. Luk, and D. Lin, "Input impedance of aperture coupled hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, 1165-1167, 1993.
13. Kranenburg, R. A., S. A. Long, and J. T.Williams, "Coplanar waveguide excitation of dielectric resonator antennas," IEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, 119-122, 1991.
14. Rao, Q., T. A. Denidni, A. R. Sebak, and R. H. Johnston, "On improving impedance matching of a CPWfed low permittivity dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 21-29, 2005.
15. Leung, K. W., Conformal strip excitation of dielectric resonator antenna, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 132-135, Boston Massachusettes, USA, 2001.
16. Eshrah, I. A., A. A. Kishk, A. B. Yakovlev, and A. W. Glisson, "Theory and implementation of dielectric resonator antenna excited by a waveguide slot," IEEE Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, 483-494, 2005.
17. Lueng, K. W., K. W. Luk, K. Y. A. Lai, and D. Lin, "Theory and experiment of an aperture-coupled hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, No. 11, 1192-1198, 1995.
18. Paramesha, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "Moment method ananlysis of rectangular waveguide as near field measuring probe," Microwave and Opti. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 1802-1805, 2006.
19. Mandal, M. and A. Chakraborty, "Resonant length calculation and radiation pattern synthesis of longitudinal slot antenna in rectangular waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 187-195, 2008.
20. Das, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "A novel modeling technique to solve a class of rectangular waveguide based circuits and radiators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 231-252, 2006.
21. Das, S., A. Chakrabarty, and A. Chakraborty, "Characteristics of an offset longitudinal/transverse slot coupled crossed waveguide junction using multiple cavity modelling technique considering the mode at the slot aperture," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 297-316, 2007.
22. Ansoft High Frequency Structures Simulator (HFSS), version 11.0, Ansoft Corporate, USA.
23. Harrington, R. F., Time Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, 389-391, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, USA, 1961.