In this paper we study the behavior of wave radiation of a horizontal electric dipole antenna with grounded metamaterial substrates formed by using coordinate transformation technology. From theoretical analysis and simulation results, we can find that such metamaterial substrates not only improve the directive emission but also enhance the radiation efficiency as the dipole antenna gets closer and closer to the metallic ground plane. We thus demonstrate that the transformation medium can offer a theoretical basis for designing a compact planar antenna with transformation media as substrates.
2. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, J. Huangfu, and L.-X. Ran, "A miniaturized printed dipole antenna with V-shaped ground for 2.45 GHz RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 149-158, 2007.
3. Fan, Z., S. Qiao, H.-F. Jiang Tao, and L.-X. Ran, "Signal descriptions and formulations for long range UHF RFID readers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 109-127, 2007.
4. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. A. Kishk, T. Elsherbeni, L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, M. Kivikoski, S. Merilampi, and P. Ruuskanen, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008.
5. Devries, P. D., "The state of RFID for effective baggage tracking in the airline industry," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 2, 151-164, 2008.
6. Yang, S. C., C. C. Chen, and R. E. Crandall, "A conceptual model of innovative applications of RFID," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 5, No. 5, 480-495, 2008.
7. Lee, K. J., D. Kim, M. Kim, M. Tanaka, and K. Matsugatani, "A 2.4 GHz dual-patch RFID tag antenna scattering analysis," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 11, 2241-2244, 2006.
8. Kim, D.-Y., H.-G. Yoon, B.-J. Jang, and J.-G. Yook, "Interference analysis of UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 115-126, 2008.
9. Kuo, S.-K., S.-L. Chen, and C.-T. Lin, "An accuate method for impedance measurement of RFID tag antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 93-106, 2008.
10. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexpolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theoryand Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999.
11. Poilasne, G., "Antennas on high impedance ground planes: On the importance of the antenna isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 237-255, 2003.
12. Simovski, C. R. and A. A. Sochava, "High-impedance surfaces based on self-resonant grids.analytical modelling and numerical simulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, 239-256, 2003.
13. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of epsilon and mu," Soviet Physics Uspekhi., Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968.
14. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Physics Review Letters, Vol. 76, No. 25, 4773-4776, 1996.
15. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theoryand Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
16. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001.
17. Wongkasem, N., A. Akyurtlu, and K. A. Marx, "Group theory based design of isotropic negative refractive index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 295-310, 2006.
18. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006.
19. Wu, B.-I., H. Chen, J. A. Kong, and T. M. Grzegorczyk, "Surface wave suppression in antenna systems using magnetic metamaterial," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 101, No. 11, 114913-1-4, 2007.
20. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Effect of cylindrical scatterer with arbitrary curvature on the features of a metamaterial slab antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 59-83, 2007.
21. Kong, F., B.-I. Wu, J. A. Kong, J. Huangfu, S. Xi, and H. Chen, "Planar focusing antenna design by using coordinate transformation technology," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 91, No. 25, 253509-1-3, 2007.
22. Semichaevsky, A. and A. Akyurtlu, "Homogenization of metamaterial-loaded substrates and superstrates for antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 129-147, 2007.
23. Alu, A., M. G. Silveirinha, A. Salandrino, and N. Engheta, "Epsilon-near-zero metamaterials and electromagnetic sources: Tailoring the radiation phase pattern," Physical Review B, Vol. 75, 155410-1-13, 2007.
24. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, No. 5781, 1780-1782, 2006.
25. Zolla, F., S. Guenneau, A. Nicolet, and J. B. Pendry, "Electromagnetic analysis of cylindrical invisibility cloaks and the mirage effect," Optics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1069-1071, 2007.
26. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, EMW, Cambridge, 2005.
27. Microwave Studio is a registered trademark of Computer, GmbH, Darmstadt, Germany.
28. Gu, Y. Y., W. X. Zhang, and Z. C. Ge, "Two improved Fabry-Perot resonator printed antennas using EBG superstrate and AMC substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 719-728, 2007.