The problem of diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a planar perfectly conducting screen of arbitrary thickness in the presence of a half-infinite dielectric arranged at a distance from a screen is solved rigorously on the bases of eigenfunction expansion and mode matching technique. The calculation algorithm for various components of the electric and magnetic field vectors in the entire space is presented, and a simple computation method for corresponding diffraction integrals is described. Just one more method of field visualization is demonstrated, which utilizes a picture of the energy-flux lines.
2. Mittra, R. and S. W. Lee, Analytical Techniques in the Theory of Guided Waves, Macmillan, New York, 1971.
3. Kim, J. H. and H. J. Eom, "Radiation from multiple annular slots on a circular cavity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 47-56, 2007.
4. Al-Zoulbi, A. S., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, "Analysis and design of a rectangular dielectric resonator antenna FED by dielectric image line through narrow slots," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 77, 379-390, 2007.
5. Zhao, X. W., X. J. Dang, Y. Zhang, and C. H. Liang, "MLFMA analysis of waveguide arrays with narrow-wall slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1063-1078, 2007.
6. Das, S., A. Chakrabarty, and A. Chakraborty, "Characteristics of an offset longitudinal/transverse slot coupled crossed waveguide junction using multiple cavity modeling technique considering the TE00 mode at the slot aperture," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 67, 297-316, 2007.
7. Kukharchik, P. D., V. M. Serdyuk, and J. A. Titovitsky, "Diffraction of hybrid modes in a cylindrical cavity resonator by a transverse circular slot with a plane anisotropic dielectric layer," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 3, 73-94, 2008.
8. Weinstein, L. A., The Theory of Diffraction and the Factorization Method, Golem, Boulder, 1969.
9. Jones, D. S., Acoustic and Electromagnetic Waves, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1989.
10. Kashyap, S. C. and M. A. Hamid, "Diffraction characteristics of a slit in a thick conducting screen," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 19, No. 4, 499-507, 1971.
11. Litvinenko, L. N., S. L. Prosvirnin, and V. P. Shestopalov, "Diffraction of a plane H-polarized electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen of finite thickness," Radiotechn. & Electron., Vol. 22, No. 3, 474-484, 1977 (in Russian).
12. Nesterenko, M. V., V. A. Katrich, and Yu. M. Penkin, "Analytical methods in theory of slot-hole coupling of electrodynamics volumes," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 79-174, 2007.
13. Zhao, X. W., X. J. Dang, Y. Zhang, and C. H. Liang, "MLFMA analysis of waveguide arrays with narrow-wall slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1063-1078, 2007.
14. Veliev, E. I., M. V. Ivakhnychenko, and T. M. Ahmedov, "Fractional boundary conditions in plane wave diffraction on a strip," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 79, 443-462, 2008.
15. McLachlan, N. W., Theory and Application of Mathieu Functions, Clarendon, Oxford, 1947.
16. Serdyuk, V. M., "Diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen of arbitrary thickness," Technical Physics, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1076-1083, 2005.
17. Tikhonov, A. N. and V. Ya. Arsenin, Solutions of Ill-Posed Problems, Weston, Washington, 1977.
18. Serdyuk, V. M., "Diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen with a transverse dielectric layer," Technical Physics, Vol. 51, No. 6, 777-785, 2006.
19. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1941.
20. Kantorovich, L. V. and V. I. Krylov, Approximate Methods of Higher Analysis, Wiley, New York, 1964.
21. Faddeev, D. K. and V. N. Faddeeva, Computational Methods of Linear Algebra, Dover, New York, 1959.
22. Watson, W. A., T. Philipson, and P. Oates, Numerical Analysis — The Mathematics of Computing, Vol. 1, Arnold, London, 1970.