A simple approach for evaluation of the reciprocity of materials using raw scattering parameter measurements is proposed. This approach not only reduces the overall measurement time but also eliminates the need for calibrating the measurement system since it uses calibration-independent measurements. We have derived a metric function for reflecting and nonreflecting cells, which are used to house the sample under test. This function does not depend on electrical properties of materials and their lengths, and whether the cell is reflecting. We have also investigated the effects of the sample length and air pockets between sample external surfaces and cell inner walls on the performance of the evaluation of sample reciprocity.
2. Nyfors, E., "Industrial microwave sensors — A review," Subsurface Sensing Tech. and Appl., Vol. 1, 23-43, 2000.
3. Hebeish, A. A., et al., "Factors affecting the performance of the radar absorbant textile materials of different types and structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 219-226, 2008.
4. Janezic, M. D. and J. A. Jargon, "Complex permittivity determination from propagation constant measurements," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 9, 76-78, 1999.
5. Huynen, I., C. Steukers, and F. Duhamel, "A wideband line-line dielectrometric method for liquids, soils, and planar substrates ," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 50, 1343-1348, 2001.
6. Wan, C., B. Nauwelaers, W. De Raedt, and M. Van Rossum, "Two new measurement methods for explicit determination of complex permittivity," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, 1614-1619, 1998.
7. Baek, K. H., H. Y. Sung, and W. S. Park, "A 3-position transmission/reflection method for measuring the permittivity of low loss materials," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 5, 3-5, 1995.
8. Hasar, U. C., "Calibration-independent method for complex permittivity determination of liquid and granular materials," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 585-586, 2008.
9. Hasar, U. C., "A new calibration-independent method for complex permittivity extraction of solid dielectric materials," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, 788-790, 2008.
10. Hasar, U. C. and O. Simsek, "A position-insensitive and nonsingular method for dielectric measurements of solid materials," J. Phys. D: Applied Phys., 2009.
11. Hasar, U. C., "A self-checking technique for materials characterization using calibration-independent measurements of reflecting lines," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 129-132, 2009.
12. Wu, Y., Z. Tang, Y. Yu, and X. He, "A new method to avoid acrowding phenomenon in extracting the permittivity of ferroelectric thin films," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 159-166, 2008.
13. He, X., Z. Tang, B. Zhang, and Y. Wu, "A new deembedding method in permittivity measurement of ferroelectric thin film material," Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 1-8, 2008.
14. Kurokawa, K., "Power waves and the scattering matrix," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 13, 194-202, 1965.
15. Wan, C., B. Nauwelaers, W. De Raedt, and M. Van Rossum, "Complex permittivity measurement method based on asymmetry of reciprocal two-ports," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, 1497, 1996.
16. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, NJ, 1989.
17. Lee, M. Q. and S. Nam, "An accurate broadband measurement of substrate dielectric constant," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 6, 168-170, 1996.
18. Reynoso-Hernandez, J. A., et al., "An improved method for estimation of the wave propagation constant γ in broadband uniform millimeter wave transmission line," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 22, 268-271, 1999.
19. Arfken, G. B. and H. J. Weber, Mathematical Methods for Physicists, Elsevier, New York, NY, 2005.
20. Challa, R. K., D. Kajfez, J. R. Gladden, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Permittivity measurement with as non-standard waveguide by using TRL calibration and fractional linear data fitting," Progress in Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 1-13, 2008.
21. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, K., "Closed form solutions for nonuniform transmission lines," Progress in Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 243-258, 2008.
22. Hasar, U. C., "Two novel amplitude-only methods for complex permittivity determination of medium- and low-loss materials," Meas. Sci. Techol., Vol. 19, 055706-055715, 2008.
23. Hasar, U. C., "A fast and accurate amplitude-only transmissionreflection method for complex permittivity determination of lossy materials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, 2129-2135, 2008.
24. Nishikata, A., "A swept-frequency measurement of complex permittivity and complex permeability of a columnar specimen inserted in a rectangular waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, 1554-1567, 2007.
25. Baker-Jarvis, J., M. D. Janezic, J. H. Grosvenor, and R. G. Geyer, "Transmission/reflection and short-circuit line methods for measuring permittivity and permeability," NIST Project, Boulder, CO, Tech. Note 1355, 1992.
26. Somlo, P. I., "A convenient self-checking method for the automated microwave measurement of μ and ε," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 42, 213-216, 1993.
27. Buyukozturk, O., T. Y. Yu, and J. A. Ortega, "A methodology for determining complex permittivity of construction materials based on transmission-only coherent, wide-bandwidth free-space measurements," Cem. Concr. Compos., Vol. 28, 349-359, 2006.
28. Hasar, U. C., "Free-space nondestructive characterization of young mortar samples," J. Mater. Civ. Eng., Vol. 19, 674-682, 2007.
29. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
30. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On measuring the permittivity tensor of an anisotropic material from the transmission coefficients," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 105-116, 2008.