Microwave methods require some sort of calibration before physical (thickness, flaw, etc.) and electrical (permittivity, permeability, etc.) measurements of materials. It is always attractive to devise a method which not only eliminates this necessity but also saves time before measurements. Microwave calibration-independent measurements can be utilized for this goal. However, in the literature, these measurements are only applied for electrical measurements of materials. In this research paper, we investigate the performance of microwave calibration-independent measurements for thickness evaluation of dielectric materials to increase the potential of available microwave techniques for thickness evaluation of dielectric materials. We derive an explicit expression for thickness estimation of dielectric materials from calibration-independent measurements for the adopted calibration-independent technique. We also propose a criterion for increasing the performance of measurements. We conducted thickness measurements of six dielectric specimens with different lengths to validate the derived expressions and the proposed criterion for thickness measurements.
2. Blitz, J., Electrical and Magnetic Methods of Non-destructive Testing, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1997.
3. Carriveau, G. W. and R. Zoughi, "Nondestructive evaluation and characterization of complex composite structures," Proc. 11th Int. Sym. on Nondestructive Characterization of Materials, 273-280, Berlin, Germany, 2002.
4. Zoughi, R. and M. Lujan, "Nondestructive microwave thickness measurement of dielectric slabs," Mater. Eval., Vol. 48, 1100-1105, 1990.
5. Bakhtiari, S., S. I. Ganchev, and R. Zoughi, "Open-ended rectangular waveguide for nondestructive thickness measurement and variation detection of lossy dielectric slabs backed by a conducting plate," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 42, No. 1, 19-24, 1993.
6. Zoughi, R. and S. Bakhtiari, "Microwave nondestructive detection and evaluation of disbonding and elamination in layered dielectric slabs," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 39, No. 6, 1059-1063, 1990.
7. Ganchev, S. I., N. Qaddoumi, E. Ranu, and R. Zoughi, "Microwave detection optimization of disbond in layered dielectrics with varying thickness," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 44, No. 2, 326-328, 1995.
8. Lavelle, T. M., "Microwaves in nondestructive testing," Mater. Eval., Vol. 25, 254-258, 1967.
9. Botsco, R. J., "Nondestructive testing of plastics with microwaves," Mater. Eval., Vol. 27, 25A-32A, 1969.
10. Mondal, J. P. and T. H. Chen, "Propagation constant determination in microwave fixture de-embedding procedure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theo. Tech., Vol. 36, No. 4, 706-713, 1988.
11. Baek, K. H., H. Y. Sung, and W. S. Park, "A 3-position transmission/reflection method for measuring the permittivity of low loss materials ," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 3-5, 1995.
12. Lee, M. Q. and S. Nam, "An accurate broadband measurement of substrate dielectric constant," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 6, No. 4, 168-170, 1996.
13. Janezic, M. D. and J. A. Jargon, "Complex permittivity determination from propagation constant measurements," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 9, No. 2, 76-78, 1999.
14. Huygen, I., C. Steukers, and F. Duhamel, "A wideband line-line dielectrometric method for liquids, soils, and planar substrates," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1343-1348, 2001.
15. Wan, C., B. Nauwelaers, W. De Raedt, and M. Van Rossum, "Two new measurement methods for explicit determination of complex permittivity," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1614-1619, 1998.
16. Reynoso-Hernandez, J. A., C. F. Estrada-Maldonado, T. Parra, K. Grenier, and J. Graffeuil, "An improved method for estimation of the wave propagation constant γ in broadband uniform millimeter wave transmission line," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 4, 268-271, 1999.
17. Hasar, U. C., "A new calibration-independent method for complex permittivity extraction of solid dielectric materials," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 9, 585-587, 2008.
18. Hasar, U. C., "A new calibration-independent method for complex permittivity extraction of solid dielectric materials," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 12, 788-790, 2008.
19. Hasar, U. C., "A calibration-independent method for broadband and accurate complex permittivity determination of liquid materials," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 79, No. 9, 086114-1-086114-3, 2008.
20. Wu, Y., Z. Tang, Y. Yu, and X. He, "A new method to avoid acrowding phenomenon in extracting the permittivity of ferroelectric thin films," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 159-166, 2008.
21. He, X., Z. Tang, B. Zhang, and Y. Wu, "A new deembedding method in permittivity measurement of ferroelectric thin film material," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 1-8, 2008.
22. Kurokawa, K., "Power waves and the scattering matrix," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 13, 194-202, 1965.
23. Hasar, U. C. and O. Simsek, "A calibration-independent method for position-insensitive and nonsingular dielectric measurements of solid materials," J. Phys. D: Applied Phys., Vol. 42, 075403-075412, 2009.
24. Engen, G. F. and C. A. Hoer, "'Thru-reflect-line': An improved technique for calibrating the dual six-port automatic network analyzer," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 27, No. 12, 987-993, 1979.
25. Hoer, C. A. and G. F. Engen, "Calibrating a dual six-port of fourport for measuring two-ports with any connectors," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 665-668, Baltimore, MD, 1986.
26. Hasar, U. C., "Two novel amplitude-only methods for complex permittivity determination of medium- and low-loss materials," Meas. Sci. Techol., Vol. 19, No. 5, 055706-055715, 2008.
27. Baker-Jarvis, J., "Transmission/reflection and short-circuit line permittivity measurements," Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol., Boulder, CO, Tech. Note 1341, 1990.
28. Baker-Jarvis, J., M. D. Janezic, J. H. Grosvenor, and R. G. Geyer, "Transmission/reflection and short-circuit line methods for measuring permittivity and permeability," Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol., Boulder, CO, Tech. Note 1355, 1992.
29. Von Hippel, A. R., Dielectric Materials and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1954.
30. Hasar, U. C., "A self-checking technique for materials characterization using calibration-independent measurements of reflecting lines," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 1, 129-132, 2009.
31. Buyukozturk, O., T. Y. Yu, and J. A. Ortega, "A methodology for determining complex permittivity of construction materials based on transmission-only coherent, wide-bandwidth free-space measurements," Cem. Concr. Compos., Vol. 28, No. 4, 349-359, 2006.
32. Hasar, U. C., "Free-space nondestructive characterization of young mortar samples," J. Mater. Civ. Eng., Vol. 19, No. 8, 674-682, 2007.
33. Challa, R. K., D. Kajfez, J. R. Gladden, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Permittivity measurement with as non-standard waveguide by using TRL calibration and fractional linear data fitting," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 1-13, 2008.
34. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, K., "Closed form solutions for nonuniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 243-258, 2008.