In this work, frequency behavior of the multilayer structure comprised of double-negative (DNG) and dielectric slabs is presented in detail. The multilayer structure consists of N pieces DNG and dielectric slabs with different material properties and thicknesses. The incident electric field is assumed to be a monochromatic plane wave with any arbitrary polarization. The DNG layers are realized using the parameters of Lorentz/Drude type metamaterials. Transfer matrix method is used in the analysis to find the characteristics of the reflected and transmitted powers. Finally, the computations of the powers for two structures are demonstrated in numerical results for the application to design efficient filters at the microwave, millimeter wave, and optical frequency regions.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 76, 4773-4776, 1996.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
4. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
5. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
6. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Physical Review E, Vol. 64, 056625.1-15, 2001.
7. Tretyakov, S., I. Nefedov, C. Simovski, and S.Maslovski, Advances in Electromagnetics of Complex Media and Metamaterials, Kluwer, Dordrecht, MA, 2002.
8. Enoch, S., G. Tayeb, P. Sabouroux, N. Guerin, and P. Vincent, "A metamaterial for directive emission," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 89, 213902.1-4, 2002.
9. Karkkainen, M. K., "Numerical study of wave propagation in uniaxially anisotropic Lorentzian backward-wave slabs," Physical Review E, Vol. 68, 026602.1-6, 2003.
10. Panoiu, N. C. and R. M. Jr. Osgood, "Numerical investigation of negative refractive index metamaterials at infrared and optical frequencies," Optics Communications, Vol. 223, 331-337, 2003.
11. Darmanyan, S. A., M. Neviere, and A. A. Zakhidov, "Surface modes at the interface of conventional and left-handed media," Optics Communications, Vol. 225, 233-240, 2003.
12. Cui, T. J. and J. A. Kong, "Time-domain electromagnetic energy in a frequency-dispersive left-handed medium," Physical Review B, Vol. 70, 205106.1-7, 2004.
13. Erentok, A., P. L. Luljak, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Characterization of a volumetric metamaterial realization of an artificial magnetic conductor for antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 160-172, 2005.
14. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A positive future for doublenegative metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 4, 1535-1556, 2005.
15. Mirza, I. O., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Calculation of the dispersion diagrams of LHM using the 3D FDTD method," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, 394-397, 2005.
16. Wang, N. B., Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Analysis of an electrically small cylindrical monopole surrounded by double negative materials using FDTD method ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 360, Hangzhou, China, 2005.
17. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials --- Physics and Engineering Explorations, IEEE-Wiley Press, Piscataway, NJ, 2006.
18. Ramadan, O., "An efficient state-space ADI-PML algorithm for truncating DNG metamaterial FDTD domains," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 494-498, 2006.
19. Zedler, M., C. Caloz, and P. Russer, "3D composite right-left handed metamaterials with Lorentz-type dispersive elements," International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics 2007 (ISSSE'07), 217-221, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2007.
20. Linden, S and M. Wegener, "International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics 2007 (ISSSE'07)," Photonic metamaterials, 147-150, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2007.
21. Kong, S. C., Z. M. Thomas, X. Chen, B. I. Wu, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Band-stop filter based on a substrate embedded with metamaterials ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 530-534, 2007.
22. Sabah, C., G. Ogucu, and S. Uckun, "Power analysis of plane waves through a double-negative slab," IV. International Workshop on Electromagnetic Wave Scattering — EWS'2006, 11.61-66, Gebze Institute of Technology, Gebze, Kocaeli, Turkey, 2006.
23. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through the frequency-dispersive and lossy double-negative slab," Opto-Electronics Review, Vol. 15, 133-143, 2007.
24. Alu, A., F. Bilotti, N. Engheta, and F. Vegni, "Subwavelength, compact, resonant patch antennas loaded with metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 13-25, 2007.
25. Wang, M. Y., J. Xu, J. Wu, Y. Yan, and H. L. Li, "FDTD study on scattering of metallic column covered by double-negative metamaterial," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1905-1914, 2007.
26. Manzanares-Martinez, J. and J. Gaspar-Armenta, "Direct integration of the constitutive relations for modeling dispersive metamaterials using the finite difference time-domain technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2297-2310, 2007.
27. Ekmekci, E. and G. Turhan-Sayan, "Comparative investigation of resonance characteristics and electrical size of the doublesided SRR, BC-SRR and conventional SRR type metamaterials for varying substrate parameters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 35-62, 2009.
28. Wang, J., S. Qu, H. Ma, J. Hu, Y. Yang, X. Wu, Z. Xu, and M. Hao, "A dielectric resonator-based route to left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 133-150, 2009.
29. Pimenov, A., A. Loidl, K. Gehrke, V. Moshnyaga, and K. Samwer, "Negative refraction observed in a metallic ferromagnet in the gigahertz frequency range," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 98, 197401.1-197401.4, 2007.
30. Kussow, A. G. and A. Akyurtlu, "Negative refraction index in the magnetic semiconductor In2-xCrxO3: Theoretical analysis," Physical Review B, Vol. 78, 205202.1-205202.1, 2008.
31. Kong, J. A., "Electromagnetic wave interaction with stratified negative isotropic media ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 35, 1-52, 2002.
32. Engheta, N., "Ideas for potential application of metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," Advances in Electromagnetics of Complex Media and Metamaterials, S. Zouhdi, A. H. Sihvola, and M. Arsalane (eds), 19-37, NATO Science Series, the Proceedings of NATO Advanced Research Workshop in Marrakech (Bianisotropics'2002), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Inc., 2002.
33. Chew, W. C., "Some reflections on double negative materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 51, 1-26, 2005.
34. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Scattering characteristics of the stratified double-negative stacks using the frequency dispersive cold plasma medium," Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung A, Vol. 62a, 247-253, 2007.