Pulsed-current sensors require transducers constituted of magnetic materials with high magnetic permeability in a frequency range compatible with the period and the frequency of the current pulse. The use of ferrites in this application has the advantage of low cost and low losses in high frequencies. The aim of this work is to present a procedure for selection of the ceramic processing route of Ni-Zn ferrite for application in a pulsed-current sensor. The ferrite samples were prepared under different processing parameters and characterized in terms of microstructure, chemical analysis, complex magnetic permeability, and magnetic hysteresis. The chosen processing route included high energy milling of the pre-sintered powder, its disaggregation before sample forming, and sintering of the samples in air for 2h at 1300οC. Tests were performed and it was verified that using this processing route for the fabrication of the sensor's core it was possible to monitor pulses of 0.1-1.0 μs.
2. Goldman, A., Modern Ferrite Technology, 2nd edition, 184, Springer, New York, 2006.
3. De Polli, Y. C., A. C. C. Migliano, C. R. S. Stopa, S. I. Nabeta, and J. R. Cardoso, "Finite element analysis of impedance of an electron beam current monitor," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 35, No. 3, 1833-1836, 1999.
4. McLyman, T., Magnetic Core Selection for Transformers and Inductors, 155, 2nd Edition, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York , 1997.
5. Smit, J. and H. P. J. Wijn, Ferrites, Philip's Technical Library, 1959.
6. Valenzuela, R., Magnetic Ceramics, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
7. Brito, V. L.O., F. C. L. Melo, and A. C. C. Migliano, "Microstructure and complex magnetic permeability of Ni0.3Zn0.7Fe2O4 ferrite," Mater. Sci. Forum, Vol. 591-593, 125-129, 2008.
8. Das, A. R., V. S. Ananthan, and D. C. Khan, "Lattice parameter variation and magnetization studies and titanium-, zirconium-, and tin-substituted nickel-zinc ferrites," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 57, No. 1, 4189-4191, 1985.
9. Rezlescu, E., L. Sachelarie, P. D. Popa, and N. Rezlescu, "Effect of substitution of divalent ions on the electrical and magnetic properties of Ni-Zn-Me ferrites," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 36, No. 6, 3962-3967, 2000.
10. Mirzaee, O., M. A. Golozar, and A. Shafyei, "Influence of V2O5 as an effective dopant on the microstructure development and magnetic properties of Ni0.64Zn0.36Fe2O4," Mater. Charact., Vol. 59, 638-641, 2008.
11. Mangalaraja, R. V., S. T. Lee, S. Ananthakumar, P. Manohar, and C. P. Camurri, "Effect of composition on initial permeability of Ni1-xZnxFe2O4 prepared by flash combustion technique," Mater. Sci. Eng. A., Vol. 476, 234-239, 2008.
12. Stoppels, D., "Developments in soft magnetic power ferrites," J. Magn. Magn. Mater., Vol. 160, 323-328, 1996.
13., E112-96: Standard Test Methods for Determining Average Grain Size, ASTM International, West Conshohoken, 2004.
14. Cortes, A. L., A. C. C. Migliano, V. L. O. Brito, and A. J. F. Orlando, "Practical aspects of the characterization of ferrite absorber using one-port device at RF frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 683-687, 2007.
15. Globus, A. and R. V. Monjaras, "Influence of the deviation from stoichiometry on the magnetic properties of Zn-rich NiZn ferrites," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 11, No. 5, 1300-1302, 1975.
16. Zhiyuan, L., X.Maoren, and Z. Qingqiu, "Effects of iron deficiency on magnetic properties of (Ni0.76Zn0.24)O(Fe2O3)0.575 ferrite," J. Magn. Magn. Mater., Vol. 219, 9-14, 2000.
17. Visser, E. G. and M. T. Johnson, "A novel interpretation of the complex permeability in polycrystalline ferrites," J. Magn. Magn. Mater., Vol. 101, 143-147, 1991.
18. Parvatheeswara Rao, B., O. Caltun, I. Dumitru, and L. Spinu, "Complex permeability spectra of Ni-Zn ferrites doped with V2O5/Nb2O5," J. Magn. Magn. Mater., Vol. 304, e749-e751, 2006.
19. Kim, H. T. and H. B. Im, "Effects of Bi2O3 and Nb2O5 on the magnetic properties of Ni-Zn ferrites and lithium ferrites," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 18, 1541-1543, 1982.
20. Inaba, H., T. Abe, Y. Kitano, and J. Shimomura, "Magnetic properties and the grain boundary structure of Mn-Zn ferrites with the addition of Nb2O5," J. Magn. Magn. Mater., Vol. 133, 487-489, 1994.
21. Cedillo, E., J. Ocampo, V. Rivera, and R. Valenzuela, "An apparatus for the measurement of initial magnetic permeability as a function of temperature," J. Phys. E: Scientific Instruments, Vol. 13, 383, 1980.
22. Khedr, M. H., A. A. Omar, M. I. Nasr, and E. K. Sedeek, "Effect of firing temperature on microstructure and magnetic properties of nanocrystalline Ni0.5Zn0.5Fe2O4 prepared by wet and dry methods," J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis, Vol. 76, 203-208, 2006.