In this paper we propose a sparse antenna array with nine elements for the integrated system of communication and direction finding. The main idea is that the sparse antenna array, whose element spacing is relatively larger than half wavelength, are divided into six two-element subarrays to transmit multi-beam. According to the spatial correlation characteristics of multi-beam, a packet exciting method employing multi-carrier Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) signal is designed to modulate the directional information into the signal space of subcarriers. In this way, a receiver with a single antenna can accomplish communication and direction-finding function by demodulation received signal. For the direction finding algorithm of the sparse antenna array, an approximate algorithm is designed to resolve the ambiguity problem based on the Chinese remainder theorem. Simulation results show that the proposed sparse antenna array can be applied to the integrated application of communication and direction finding.
"Design of a Sparse Antenna Array for Communication and Direction Finding Applications Based on the Chinese Remainder Theorem," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 98, 119-136, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091703
1. Slaney, A. and Y. Sun, "Space-time coding for wireless communications: An overview," IEE Proc. Commun., Vol. 153, No. 4, 509-518, 2006. doi:10.1049/ip-com:20050346
2. Geyi, W. and Multi-antenna information theory, Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 11-50, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07052203
3. Alamouti, S. M., "A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 16, No. 10, 1451-1458, 1998. doi:10.1109/49.730453
4. Lehmann, N. H., E. Fishler, A. M. Haimovich, et al. "Evaluation of transmit diversity in MIMO-radar direction finding," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, 2215-2224, 2007. doi:10.1109/TSP.2007.893220
5. Fishler, E., A. H. Haimovich, R. S. Blum, D. Chizhik, L. Cimini, and R. Valenzuela, "MIMO radar: An idea whose time has come," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Radar, 71-78, Apr. 2004.
6. Lee, K.-C., J.-S. Ou, and C.-W. Huang, "Angular-diversity radar recognition of ships by transformation based approaches-including noise effects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 145-158, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030901
7. Sing, A. K., P. Kumar, T. Chakravarty, G. Singh, and S. Bhooshan, "A noval digital beamformer with low angle resolution for vehicle tracking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 229-237, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112102
8. Buckley, E., "Ambiguity suppression in a multiple beam radar," Proceedings of the IEE Radar 2002 Conf., 492-496, Edinburgh, UK, 2002.
9. Krim, H. and M. Verberg, "Two decades of array signal processing research," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 4, 67-94, 1996. doi:10.1109/79.526899
10. Godara, L. C., "Application of antenna arrays to mobile communications, Part II: Beam-forming and direction of arrival considerations," Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 85, No. 8, 1195-1245, 1997. doi:10.1109/5.622504
11. Changuel, H., F. Harabi, and A. Gharsallah, "2-L-shape two-dimensional arrival angle estimation with a classical subspace algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 301-315, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112802
12. Fontana, R. J., E. A. Richley, A. J. Marzullo, et al."An ultra wideband radar for micro air vehicle applications," 2002 IEEE Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies, 187-191, Baltimore, MD, May 2002.
13. Song, M. Z. and T. Hong, "Dual beam modulation transmitted from two antennas without a phase center," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1180-1190, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784158841
14. Song, M. Z. and T. Hong, "Sum and difference multiple beam modulation transmitted by multimode horn antenna for inverse monopulse direction-finding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 367-380, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08032407
15. Song, M. Z. and T. Hong, "Microwave space modulation carrying azimuth and elevation transmitted by monopulse antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2-3, 277-289, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160686
16. Song, M. Z. and T. Hong, "Multiple beam modulation and direction-finding transmitted by square-corner antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2095-2108, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152821
17. Ayestaran, R. G., F. Las-Heras, and J. A. Martinez, "Nonuniform-antenna array synthesis using neural networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1001-1011, 2007.
18. Zhu, Y.-Z., Y.-J. Xie, Z. Y. Lei, and T. Dang, "A novel method of mutual coupling matching for array antenna design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1013-1024, 2007.
19. Kazemi, S., H. R. Hassani, G. Dadashzadeh, and F. G. Gharakhili, "Performance improvement in amplitude synthesis of unequally spaced array using least mean square method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 135-145, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07103002
20. Hussein, R. T. and F. J. Jibrael, "Comparison of the radiation pattern of fractal and conventional linear array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 183-190, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08091102
21. Wong, K. T. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Direction-finding with sparse rectangular dual-size spatial invariance array," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 34, No. 4, 1320-1335, 1998. doi:10.1109/7.722717
22. Vasylyshyn, V. I. and O. A. Garkusha, "Direction finding using sparse array composed of multiple identical subarrays," 2005 5th International Conference on Antenna Theory and Techniques, 273-276, Kyiv, UK, May 2005.
23. Amin, M. G., "Sufficient conditions for alias-free direction of arrival estimation in periodic spatial spectra," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 4, 508-511, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.220986
24. Zoltowski, M. D. and C. P. Mathews, "Real-time frequency and 2-D angle estimation with sub-Nyquistspatio-temporal sampling," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 10, 2781-2794, 1994. doi:10.1109/78.324743
25. Lin, K.-Y., B. Krishna, and H. Krishna, "Rings, fields, the Chinese remainder theorem and an extension --- Part I: Theory," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Analog and Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 10, 641-655, 1994. doi:10.1109/82.329735