A low profile double-layer polarizer structure is presented for planar patch antennas to obtain circular polarization in 3.5 GHz WiMAX band (3.4-3.6 GHz≈5.7% bandwidth). Each polarizer layer is composed of 45º tilted metallic strips on a printed circuit. A bandwidth widening is obtained due to a significant reduction of the distance between polarizer and patches. The associated effects from the interaction of the two structures have been studied. A 2x2 array prototype has been implemented and measured, with a 8% average bandwidth in reflection and dual linear/circular polarization.
Jose Luis Masa-Campos,
"Dual Linear/Circular Polarized Plannar Antenna with Low Profile Double-Layer Polarizer of 45º Tilted Metallic Strips for WiMAX
Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 98, 221-231, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092406
1. Su, D., D. Fu, T. N. C. Wang, and H. Yang, "Broadband polarization diversity base station antenna for 3G communication system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 22, No. 4, 493-500, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784150254
2. Han, T. Y., "Broadband circularly polarized square-slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 549-554, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784150236
3. Soliman, E. A., W. De Raedt, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Circularly polarized slot antenna dual-fed with microstrip lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 22, No. 16, 2259-2267, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787522492
4. Wang, C. J. and C.-H. Lin, "A circularly polarized quasi-loop antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 333-348, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081002
5. Sharma, A. K., R. Singh, and A. Mittal, "Wide band dual circularly polarized aperture coupled microstrip patch antenna with bow tie shaped apertures," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APS2004, Vol. 4, 3749-3752, June 20-25, 2004.
6. Pozar, D. M. and S. D. Targonski, "A novel wideband circularly polarized aperture coupled microstrip antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APS 1991, Vol. 2, 1098-1101, June 24-28, 1991.
7. Ghassemi, N., J. Rashed-Mohassel, M. H. Neshati, S. Tavakoli, and M. Ghassemi, "A high gain dual stacked aperture coupled microstrip antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 127-135, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08072603
8. Sharma, P. and K. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 31, No. 6, 949-955, November 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143162
9. Pakan, J. J., "Antenna polarizer having two phase shifting medium,", U.S. Patent No. 2978702, April 1961.
10. Lerner, D. S., "A wave polarization converter for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 13, No. 1, January 3-7, 1965.
11. Lai, C. H., T. Y. Han, and T. R. Chen, "Circularly-polarized reconfigurable microstrip antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 195, 2-3, 2009.
12. Soliman, E. A., W. De Raedt, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Reconfigurable slot antenna for polarization diversity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 905-916, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939309788355207
13. Zhao, Y. L., C. Gai, L. Liu, J. P. Xiong, J. Chen, and Y. C. Jiao, "A novel polarization reconfigurable annular ring-slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 11-12, 1587-1592, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786390283
14. IEEE 802.16 Working Group, IEEE 802.16 Working Group Metropolitan Area Networks --- Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed and Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Systems, IEEE, New York, USA, December, 2005.
15. Fernandez, J. M., J. L. Masa-Campos, and M. Sierra-Perez, "Circularly polarized omnidirectional millimeter wave monopole with parasitic strip elements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 3, 664-668, March 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22237
16. Daniel, J. P., G. Dubost, C. Terret, J. Citerne, and M. Drissi, "Research on planar antennas and arrays: Structures rayonnantes," IEEE Antennas and Propagat. Magazine, Vol. 35, No. 1, 14-38, February 1993. doi:10.1109/74.210827
18. Ray, I., M. Khan, D. Mandal, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Effect on resonant frequency for eplane mutually coupled microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 133-140, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08021902
19. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Womparison between arrays of rotating linearly polarized elements and circularly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2949-2954, September 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928783
20. Hall, P. S., J. S. Dahele, and J. R. James, "Design principles of sequentially fed wide bandwidth circularly polarised microstrip antennas," IEE Proceedings on Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 136, No. 5, 381-389, October 1989.
21. Fernandez, J. M., J. L. Masa-Campos, M. Sierra-Castaner, D. Castellanos, and M. Sierra-Perez, "Estimation of the patch-array-coupling model through radiated-field measurements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 1, 59-65, October 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20375