This paper deals with the potential of ultra-wideband (UWB) microwave imaging for the detection and localization of breast cancer in its early stages. A method is proposed for locating tumors which is based on the signal time-of-flight backscattered by the tumor. Time-of-flight is detected using a wavelet transform algorithm. The feasibility of the method has been investigated by means of simulated results using Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) and experimental results with a UWB radar and a phantom.
"Wavelet-Based Breast Tumor Localization Technique Using a UWB Radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 98, 75-95, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09100705
1. Fear, E. C., J. Sill, and M. A. Stuchly, "Experimental feasibility study of confocal microwave imaging for breast tumor detection," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 3, 887-892, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.808630
2. Sill, J. M. and E. C. Fear, "Tissue sensing adaptive radar for breast cancer detection --- Experimental investigation of simple tumor models," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3312-3319, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.857330
3. Fontana, R. J., "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra-Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra-wideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, September 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.834186
4. Klemm, M., I. Craddock, J. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Experimental and clinical results of breast cancer detection using UWB microwave radar," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S 2008, 1-4, 2008.
5. Craddock, I. J., M. Klemm, J. Leendertz, A. W. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "An improved hemispeherical antenna array design for breast imaging," Proceedings European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2007, 1-5, 2007.
6. Meaney, P. M., M. W. Fanning, L. P. Dun, S. P. Poplack, and K. D. Paulsen, "A clinical prototype for active microwave imaging of the breast," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1841-1853, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.883861
7. Bindu, G., A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, C. K. Aanandan, and K. T. Mathew, "Active microwave imaging for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 149-169, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05081802
8. Zhang, H., S. Y. Tan, and H. S. Tan, "A novel method for microwave breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 413-434, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08062701
9. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Simulated and experimental investigation of microwave imaging using UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 263-280, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09061004
10. Sahinoglu, Z., S. Gezici, and I. Guvenc, Ultra-wideband Positioning Systems, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
11. Knapp, C. and G. Carter, "The generalized correlation method for estimation of time delay," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, and Sig. Processing (ICASSP), Vol. 24, 320-327, 1976. doi:10.1109/TASSP.1976.1162830
12. Goswami, J. C. and A. K. Chan, Fundamentals of Wavelets, Theory, Algorithms, and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999.
13. Li, H. J. and K. M. Li, "Application of wavelet transform in target identification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 12, 57-73, 1996.
14. Pourvoyeur, K., A. Stelzer, G. Ossberge, T. Buchegger, and M. Pichle, "Wavelet-based impulse reconstruction in UWB-radar," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 603-606, 2003.
15. Aly, O. A. M., A. S. Omar, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Detection and localization of RF radar pulses in noise environments using wavelet packet transform and higher order statistics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 301-317, 2006.
16. Yang, F. and A. S. Mohan, "Ultra wideband microwave imaging and localization for breast cancer," IEEE Microwave Conference APMC 2008. Asia-Pacific 2008, 1-4, 2008.
17. Winters, D. W., J. D. Shea, E. L. Madsen, G. R. Frank, B. D. Van Veen, and S. C. Hagness, "Estimating the breast surface using uwb microwave monostatic backscatter measurements," IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Eng., Vol. 55, No. 1, 247-256, 2008. doi:10.1109/TBME.2007.901028
18. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, 3rd Ed., Johns Hopkins, 1996.
19., GprMAX V2.0, avaliable in www.gprmax.org.
20. Hagl, D. M., D. Popovic, S. C. Hagness, J. H. Booske, and M. Okoniewski, "Sensing volume of open-ended coaxial probes for dielectric characterization of breast tissue at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4, 1194-1206, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809626