Location information is critical for the development of value-added location-based services, such as fraud protection, location-aware network access, person/asset tracking etc. Herein, a method for the enhancement of localization systems in terms of achieved accuracy is proposed, which can be applied to new as well as existing systems regardless the underlying localization technique. The method is based on modeling the position measurement error introduced by the localization algorithm using a polynomial approximation approach. Measurements results demonstrate the applicability of the proposed technique in enhancing accuracy in a low cost and efficient manner.
2. FCC Docket No. 94-102, "Revision of the commission's rules to ensure compatibility with enhanced 911 emergency callin systems ,", RM-8143, July 26, 1996.
3., "Commission recommendation of 25 July 2003, on the processing of caller location information in electronic communication networks for the purpose of location-enhanced emergency call services," Official Journal of the European Union, July 27, 2003.
4. Hana, P. H., "Global positioning system overview ," ITR-university of Texas at Austin, available at: http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/gps/gps f.html.
5. Tayebi, A., J. Gomez, F. S. Saez de Adana, and O. Gutierrez, "The application of ray-tracing to mobile localization using the direction of arrival and received signal strength in multipath indoor environments ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 91, 1-15, 2009.
6. Liberti, J. and T. S. Rappaport, Smart Antennas for Wireless Communications: IS-95 and Third Generation CDMA Application, Prentice Hall PTR, April 1999.
7. Seow, C. K. and S. Y. Tan, "Non-line-of-sight localization in multipath environments," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Vol. 7, No. 5, 647-660, May 2008.
8. Seow, C. K. and S. Y. Tan, "Localization of omni-directional mobile in multipath environments," Progess In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 323-348, 2008.
9. Conan, J. L. J. and S. Pierre, "Mobile station location estimation for MIMO communication systems," The 3rd International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems, ISWCS 2006, 561-564, September 6-8, 2006.
10. Stuber, G. L., Principles of Mobile Communication, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 1996.
11. Paulraj, A., R. Nabar, and D. Gore, "Introduction to Space-time Wireless Communications," Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2003.
12. Liu, B. C., K. H. Lin, and J. C. Wu, "Analysis of hyperbolic and circular positioning algorithms using stationary signal-strength di®erence measurements in wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 55, No. 2, 499-509, March 2006.
13. Rostami, A. and A. Yazdanpanah-Goharrizi, "Hybridization of neural networks and genetic algorithms for identification of complex Bragg gratings ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 5-6, 643-664, 2008.
14. Kouveliotis, N. K., S. C. Panagiotou, P. K. Varlamos, T. D. Dimousios, and C. N. Capsalis, "Optimizing a PIFA using a genetic algorithm approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2-3, 453-461, 2008.
15. Mitilineos, S. A., G. K. Roumeliotis, C. N. Capsalis, and S. C. A. Thomopoulos, "Position accuracy enhancement using localization error modelling," Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Communications, 1-5, Kos, Greece, June 15-19, 2009.
16. Mitilineos, S. A., S. C. A. Thomopoulos, D. K. Bougoulias, and C. N. Capsalis, "Position location using a minimum square error method: An indoor environment implementation," Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Telecommunications and Informatics , Vol. 1, 210-215, Prague, CZ, March 13-15, 2005.
17. Bahl, P. and V. N. Padmanabhan, "RADAR: An in-building RF-based user location and tracking system," Proccedings of the IEEE INFOCOM 2000: 19th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies , Vol. 2, 775-784, 2000.
18. Prasithsangaree, P., P. Krishnamurthy, and P. K. Chrysanthis, "On indoor position location with wireless LANS," The 13th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications , Vol. 2, 15-18, September 2000.
19. Mitilineos , S. A., N. D. Argyreas, E. T. Makri, D. M. Kyriazanos, and S. C. A. Thomopoulos, "An indoor localization platform for ambient assisted living using UWB," Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia , Vol. 1, 178-182, Linz, Austria, November 24-26, 2008.
20., Ubisense Solutions, http://www.ubisense.net/.
21. Mitilineos, S. A., N. D. Argyreas, S. C. A. Thomopoulos, and , "A near-optimal low complexity sensor fusion technique for accurate indoor localization based on ultrasound time-of-arrival measurements from low-quality sensors," Proceedings of the XVIII Signal Processing, Sensor Fusion and Target Recognition Conference, SPIE Defense Security and Sensing 2009 Symposium, to appear, Orlando, FL, USA, April 13-17, 2009.
22. Bodhi, N. P. The cricket indoor location system, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, June 2005.