In this paper, the application of compact non-uniform transmission line transformers (NTLTs) in suppressing and controlling the odd harmonics of the fundamental frequency is presented. A design example showing the complete suppression of the odd harmonics of the fundamental frequency is given. In addition, several compact NTLTs are designed showing the possibility of controlling the existence of a fundamental frequency's odd harmonics. Moreover, multi-band operation using NTLTs is investigated. Specifically, a design example of a miniaturized triple-frequency NTLT is introduced. Based on these compact NTLTs, a 3-way triple-frequency modified Bagley power divider (BPD) with a size reduction of 50%, and a 5-way modified BPD with harmonics suppression and size reduction of 34%, are designed. For verification purposes, both dividers are simulated using the two full-wave simulators IE3D and HFSS. Moreover, the modified 5-way BPD with harmonics suppression is fabricated and measured. Both the simulation and measurement results validate the design approach.
2. Srisathit, K., P. Jadpum, and W. Surakampontom, "Miniature Wilkinson divider and hybrid coupler with harmonic suppression using T-shaped transmission line," Proceedings of 2007 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Bangkok, December 2007.
3. Pandey, D. K. and S. Sanyal, "Miniaturized Wilkinson power divider with higher harmonic suppression," 10th Int. Conference on Electromagnetic Interference & Compatibility, INCEMIC 2008, 37-40, Bangalore, 2008.
4. Yi, K.-H. and B. Kang, "Modified Wilkinson power divider for nth harmonic suppression," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 5, 178-180, May 2003.
5. Dib, N. and M. Khodier, "Design and optimization of multi-band wilkinson power divider," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 1, 14-20, January 2008.
6. Li, Q., J.-G. Gong, C.-L. Li, X.-H. Wang, L. Xu, and X.-W. Shi, "A compact dual-frequency three-way unequal power divider," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 383-390, 2010.
7. Huang, W., C. Liu, L. Yan, and K. Huang, "A miniaturized dualband power divider with harmonic suppression for GSM applications," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 1, 81-91, 2010.
8. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Li, "A new dual-frequency Wilkinson power divider," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 483-492, 2009.
9. Li, X., S.-X. Gong, L. Yang, and Y.-J. Yang, "A novel Wilkinson power divider for dual-band operation," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 395-404, 2009.
10. Wuren, T., K. Taniya, I. Sakagami, and M. Tahara, "Miniaturization of 3- and 5-way bagley polygon power dividers," 2005 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC) Proceedings, Vol. 4, December 2005.
11. Oraizi, H. and S.-A. Ayati, "Optimum design of a modified 3-way bagley rectangular power divider," Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 25-28, 2010.
12. Sakagami, I., T. Wuren, M. Fujii, and M. Tahara, "Compact multi-way power dividers similar to the bagley polygon," IEEE Int. Microwave Symposium (IMS), 419-422, 2007.
13. Elles, D. S. and Y.-K. Yoon, Compact dual band three way bagley polygon power divider using composite right/left handed (CRLH) transmission lines, IEEE Int. Microwave Symposium (IMS), 485-488, 2009.
14. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Non-uniform transmission lines as compact uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 205-211, 2008.
15. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Wideband or multiband impedance matching using microstrip non-uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 15-25, 2006.
16. Hosseini, F., M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, and M. Yazdani, "A miniaturized Wilkinson power divider using nonuniform transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 917-924, 2009.
17. Shamaileh, K. A. A. and N. I. Dib, "Design of compact dual-frequency wilkinson power divider using non-uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 37-46, 2011.
18. Hosseini, F., M. Khalaj-Amir Hosseini, and M. Yazdani, "To compact ring branch-line coupler using non-uniform transmission line ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2679-2682, November 2009.
19. Pozar, D. M., "Microwave Engineering," Wiley, New York, 2004.
20. Qaroot, A. M., N. I. Dib, and A. A. Gheethan, "Design methodology of multi-frequency un-equal split Wilkinson power divider using transmission line transformers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 1-21, 2010.
21. HFSS, High Frequency Structure Simulation Based on Finite Element Method, V. 10, Ansoft Corporation, www.ansoft.com.
22. www.zeland.com, 2006.