The influence of random fluctuations in the layer thicknesses in high contrast, one-dimensional Photonic Crystals (PCs) on the transmission spectra and Photonic Band Gaps (PBGs) is investigated. The change in the PBGs depends on the magnitude of the fluctuations and increases with an increase in the order of the PBG. Introducing thickness non-uniformity into the PC of up to 0.004 times the value of lattice constant for different types of fluctuation distributions has a negligible effect on either the position or the shape of the 1st and nearest PBGs. The approach suggested here allows the determination of the tolerances required in the geometrical parameters of PCs during fabrication. It also allows the optimisation of PC structures using high order PBGs.
Vladimir A. Tolmachev,
Аnna V. Baldycheva,
Tatiana S. Perova,
"Influence of Fluctuations of the Geometrical Parameters on the Photonic Band Gaps in One-Dimensional Photonic Crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 126, 285-302, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020109
1. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics ," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 20, 2059-2062, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2059
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 23, 2486-2489, 1987. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.2486
3. Joannopoulos, J. D., S. G. Johnson, J. N. Winn, and R. D. Meade, Photonic Crystals. Molding the Flow of Light, 2nd Edition, Chapter 1, 1, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 2008.
4. Fink, Y., J. N. Winn, F. Shanhui, C. Chiping, J. Michel, J. D. Joannopoulos, and E. L. Thomas, "A dielectric omnidirectional reflector," Science, Vol. 282, No. 5394, 1679-1682, 1998. doi:10.1126/science.282.5394.1679
5. Busch, K., S. Lolkes, R. Wehrspohn, and H. Foll, Photonic Crystals. Advances in Design, Fabrication, and Characterization, Chapter 4, 64, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2004. doi:10.1002/3527602593
6. Fan, S., P. R. Villeneuve, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Theoretical investigation of fabrication-related disorder on the properties of photonic crystals," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 78, No. 3, 1415-1418, 1995. doi:10.1063/1.360298
7. Maskaly, K. R., G. R. Maskaly, W. C. Carter, and J. L. Maxwell, "Diminished normal reflectivity of one-dimensional photonic crystals due to dielectric interfacial roughness," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 23, 2791-2793, 2004. doi:10.1364/OL.29.002791
8. Jaksic, Z., M. Maksimovic, O. Jaksic, D. Vasiljevic-Radovic, Z. Djuric, and A. Vujanic, "Fabrication-induced disorder in structures for nanophotonics," Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 83, No. 4-9, 1792-1797, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.mee.2006.01.131
9. Glushko, O., R. Meisels, F. Kuchar, and R. Danzer, "Numerical and experimental investigations of surface roughness in 1D photonic Crystals ," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 20, No. 45, 454220/1-7, 2008. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/20/45/454220
10. Barillaro, G., L. M. Strambini, V. Annovazzi-Lodi, and S. Merlo, "Optical characterization of high-order 1-D silicon photonic crystals," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 5, 1359-1367, 2009. doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2009.2017278
11. McGurn, A. R., K. T. Christensen, F. M. Mueller, and A. A. Maradudin, "Anderson localization in one-dimensional randomly disordered systems that are periodic on average," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 47, No. 20, 13120-13125, 1993. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.47.13120
12. Kaliteevski, M. A., J. Manzanares Martinez, D. Cassagne, and J. P. Albert, "Disorder-induced modification of the attenuation of light in a two-dimensional photonic crystal with complete band gap," Phys. Stat. Sol. A, Vol. 195, No. 3, 612-617, 2003. doi:10.1002/pssa.200306161
13. Kaliteevskii, M. A., V. V. Nikolaev, and R. A. Abram, "Eigenstate statistics and optical properties of one-dimensional disordered photonic crystals," Phys. Solid State, Vol. 47, No. 10, 1948-1957, 2005. doi:10.1134/1.2087751
14. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, Chapter 6, 118, Wiley, New York, 1988.
15. Lu, X. D., P. D. Han, Y. J. Quan, Q. J. Ran, L. P. Gao, F. P. Zeng, C. H. Zhao, and J. Z. Yu , "Optical response of high-order band gap in one-dimensional photonic crystal applying in-plane integration," Opt. Commun., Vol. 277, 315-321, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2007.05.052
16. Tolmachev, V. A., V. A. Melnikov, A. V. Baldycheva, K. Berwick, and T. S. Perova, "Electrically tunable fabry-perot resonator based on microstructured Si containing liquid crystal," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 122, 293-309, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11091506
17. Baldycheva, A., V. A. Tolmachev, T. S. Perova, Y. A. Zharova, E. V. Astrova, and K. Berwick, "Silicon photonic crystal filter with ultra-wide pass-band characteristics," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 10, 1854-1856, 2011. doi:10.1364/OL.36.001854
18. Tolmachev, V. A., T. S. Perova, J. Ruttle, and E. Khokhlova, "Design of one-dimensional photonic crystals using combination of band diagrams and photonic gap map approaches ," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 104, No. 3, 033536/1-6, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2963700
19. Tolmachev, V. A., A. V. Baldycheva, S. A. Dyakov, K. Berwick, and T. S. Perova, "Optical contrast tuning in three-component 1D Photonic Crystals," IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 28, No. 10, 1521-1529, 2010. doi:10.1109/JLT.2010.2047493
20. Tolmachev, V. A., T. Perova, and A. Baldycheva, "Transformation of one-dimensional silicon photonic crystal into Fabry-Perot resonator," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 7943, 79430E/1-12, 2011.
21. Azzam, R. M. A. and N. M. Bashara, Ellipsometry and Polarized Light, Chapter 4, 269, Amsterdam, North-Holland, 1977.
22. Tolmachev, V., T. Perova, E. Krutkova, and E. Khokhlova, "Elaboration of the gap map method for the design and analysis of one-dimensional photonic crystal structures," Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Vol. 41, No. 6, 1122-1126, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.physe.2008.08.065
23. Manzanares-Martinez, J., R. Archuleta-Garcia, P. Castro-Garay, D. Moctezuma-Enriquez, and E. Urrutia-Banuelos, "One-dimensional photonic heterostructure with broadband omnidirectional reflection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 105-117, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110404
24. Wu, C.-J., Y.-C. Hsieh, and H.-T. Hsu, "Tunable photonic band gap in a doped semiconductor photonic crystal in near infrared region ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 271-283, 2011.
25. Banerjee, A., "Enhanced temperature sensing by using one-dimensional ternary photonic band gap structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 129-137, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09080101
26. Ni, J., B. Chen, S. L. Zheng, X. M. Zhang, X. F. Jin, and H. Chi, "Ultra-wideband on electrooptic phase modulator and phase-shift fiber Bragg grating," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 795-802, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036395
27. Wu, C.-J., Y.-N. Rau, and W.-H. Han, "Enhancement of photonic band gap in a disordered quarter-wave dielectric photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 27-36, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09111610
28. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and S. M. J. Razavi, "Wide-angle reflection wave polarizers using inhomogeneous planar layers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 9, 9-20, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09070301
29. Awasthi, S. K., U. Malaviya, S. P. Ojha, N. K. Mishra, and B. Singh, "Design of a tunable polarizer using a one-dimensional nano sized photonic bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 133-152, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021004
30. Hsu, H.-T., M.-H. Lee, T.-J. Yang, Y.-C. Wang, and C.-J. Wu, "A multichanneled filter in a photonic crystal containing coupled defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 379-392, 2011.