A novel basis function, called as the Modified Phase Extracted (MPE) basis function, has been proposed to analyze three-dimensional scattering problems for electrically large, thin dielectric-coated targets. The MPE basis function, which can be defined on large (e.g., a wavelength or more) curvilinear geometrical elements, is developed for quadrilateral cells. Consequently, combining with the thin dielectric sheet (TDS) approximation, the MPE basis function solves the scattering problem accurately with fewer unknowns than the solutions based on the conventional basis functions. In order to improve the accuracy of the solution solving the problem which has thicker dielectric coatings, some modifications about the TDS approximation model are made. Numerical examples demonstrate that the validity of the proposed approach in solving the scattering from electrically large, thin coated objects.
2. Araujo, M. G., J. M. Taboada, J. Rivero, and F. Obelleiro, "Comparison of surface integral equations for left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 425-440, 2011.
3. Cui, Z.-W., Y.-P. Han, and M.-L. Li, "Solution of CFIE-JMCFIE using parallel MOM for scattering by dielectrically coated conducting bodies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 211-222, 2011.
4. Bui, V. P., X.-C. Wei, and E. P. Li, "An efficient simulation technology for characterizing the ultra-wide band signal propagation in a wireless body area network," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2575-2588, 2010.
5. Kolpakov, A. A. and A. G. Kolpakov, Capacity and Transport in Contrast Composite Structures: Asymptotic Analysis and Applications, Taylor & Francis Group Boca Raton, 2010.
6. He, S., Z. Nie, and J. Hu, "Numerical solution of scattering from thin dielectric-coated conductors based on TDS approximation and EM boundary conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 339-354, 2009.
7. Chiang, I. T. and W. C. Chew, "Thin dielectric sheet simulation by surface integral equation using modified RWG and pulse bases," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 1927-1934, Jul. 2006.
8. Chiang, I. T. and W. C. Chew, "A coupled PEC-TDS surface integral equation approach for electromagnetic scattering and radiation from composite metallic and thin dielectric objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 3511-3516, Nov. 2006.
9. Kolundzija, B. M. and D. S. Sumic, "Hierarchical conjugate gradient method applied to MoM analysis of electrically large structures," Proceedings of the 2004 international IEEE APS Symposium, Vol. 4, 4455-4458, Jun. 2004.
10. Nie, Z., S. Yan, and S. He, "On the basis functions with traveling wave phase factor for efficient analysis of scattering from electrically large targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 83-114, 2008.
11. Taboada, J. M., M. G. Araujo, J. M. Bertolo, L. Landesa, F. Obelleiro, and J. L. Rodriguez, "MLFMA-FFT parallel algorithm for the solution of large-scale problems in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 15-30, 2010.
12. Jorgensen, E., J. L. Volakis, and P. Meincke, "Higher order hierarchical Legendre basis functions for electromagnetic modeling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2985-2995, Nov. 2004..
13. Eibert, T. F., Ismatullah, E. Kaliyaperumal, and C. H. Schmidt, "Inverse equivalent surface current method with hierarchical higher order basis functions, full probe correction and multi-level fast multipole acceleration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 377-394, 2010.
14. Ding, D.-Z. and R.-S. Chen, "Electromagnetic scattering by conducting BOR coated with chiral media above a lossy half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 385-401, 2010.