Linear magnetic gears take the definite merit of direct force amplification or speed reduction without using any bulky, inefficient rotary-to-linear mechanism. In this paper, an analytical calculation approach to determine the performance of linear tubular magnetic gears is proposed. The key is to adopt the concept of anisotropic magnetic permeability to handle the field-modulation region which consists of iron rings and airspaces in a zebra-striped manner. By solving the Laplace's and Poisson's equations in the linear tubular magnetic gear, the corresponding magnetic field distributions can be analytically determined. Finally, the analytical calculation results are compared with the numerical results obtained from the finite element method, hence verifying the validity of the proposed analytical field calculation.
2. Jian, L., K. T. Chau, Y. Gong, J. Z. Jiang, C. Yu, and W. Li, "Comparison of coaxial magnetic gears with different topologies," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 10, 4526-4529, 2009.
3. Chau, K. T., D. Zhang, J. Z. Jiang, C. Liu, and Y. J. Zhang, "Design of a magnetic-geared outer-rotor permanent-magnet brushless motor for electric vehicles ," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 6, 2504-2506, 2007.
4. Jian, L. and K.-T. Chau, "Design and analysis of a magnetic-geared electronic-continuously variable transmission system using finite element method ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 47-61, 2010.
5. Atallah, K., J. Wang, and D. Howe, "A high-performance linear magnetic gear," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 97, No. 10, 10N516-10N516-3, 2005.
6. Holehouse, R. C., K. Atallah, and J. Wang, "Design and realization of a linear magnetic gear," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 4171-4174, 2011.
7. Li, W. and K. T. Chau, "A linear magnetic-geared free-piston generator for range-extended electric vehicles," Journal of Asian Electric Vehicles, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1345-1350, 2010.
8. Li, W., K. T. Chau, and J. Z. Jiang, "Application of linear magnetic gears for pseudo-direct-drive oceanic wave energy harvesting ," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 2624-2627, 2011.
9. Chau, K. T., D. Zhang, J. Z. Jiang, and L. Jian, "Transient analysis of coaxial magnetic gears using finite element comodeling," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, No. 7, 07F101-07F101-3, 2008.
10. Touati, S., R. Ibtiouen, O. Touhami, and A. Djerdir, "Experimental investigation and optimization of permanent magnet motor based on coupling boundary element method with permeances network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 71-90, 2011.
11. Zhang, Y., K. T. Chau, J. Z. Jiang, D. Zhang, and C. Liu, "A finite element --- Analytical method for electromagnetic field analysis of electric machines with free rotation," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 10, 3392-3394, 2006.
12. Jian, L. and K.-T. Chau, "Analytical calculation of magnetic field distribution in coaxial magnetic gears," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 1-16, 2009.
13. Gysen, B. L. J., E. A. Lomonova, J. J. H. Paulides, and A. J. A. Vandenput, "Analytical and numerical techniques for solving Laplace and Poisson equations in a tubular permanent-magnet actuator: Part I. Semi-analytical framework," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 7, 1751-1760, 2008.
14. Bianchi, B., "Analytical field computation of a tubular permanent-magnet linear motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 36, No. 5, 3798-3801, 2000.