The electro-magnetic torque production in the reluctance machine is highly influenced by the magnetic linkages in the air-gap area. The conventional machines derive the drawback of reduction in the air-gap area to a minimal due to influence of mechanical unbalancing thereby restricting the effective energy conversion area. In order to increase the magnetic linkage area the dual-air-gap structure is introduced. The dual-air-gap structure is realised through the division of the magnetic circuit area into two-air-gap while still maintaining the net air-gap length value. A double-rotor with single-stator structure is used to attribute the above concept. The electro-magnetic analysis of such a structure is developed and investigated through numerical analysis. In order to validate the proposed structure the electro-magnetic characteristics are compared with that of the conventional structure at similar operating conditions. The maximum torque generated by the selected dual-air-gap structure is 1.7549 Nm and for conventional structure is 1.2723 Nm. The evaluation of the proposed machine is done at the same operating conditions and it is found that the dual-air-gap structure exhibit 65% increase in average torque value in comparison with that of the conventional single-air-gap structure.
2. Krishnan, R., Design Procedure for Switched-reluctance Motors Design, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2001.
3. Aravind, C. V., M. Norhisam, I. Aris, M. H. Marhabhan, D. Ahmad, and M. Nirei, "Double rotor switched reluctance motors: Fundamentals and magnetic circuit analysis," IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development (SCORED2011), 294-299, Cyberjaya, Malaysia, Dec. 19-20, 2011.
4. Norhisam, M., K. C. Wong, N. Mariun, and H. Wakiwaka, "Double side interior permanent magnet linear synchronous motor and drive system," International Conference on Power Electronics and Drives Systems, PEDS , Vol. 2, 1370-1373, Nov. 28-01, 2005.
5. Norhisam, M., S. Ridzuan, R. N. Firdaus, C. V. Aravind, H. Wakiwaka, and M. Nirei, "Comparative evaluation on power-speed density of portable permanent magnet generators for agricultural application," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 129, 345-363, 2012.
6. Norhisam, M., M. Norafiza, and C. Y. Sia, Double stator type permanent magnet generator, 2009 IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development (SCOReD), 316-319, Nov. 16-18, 2009.
7. Zhang, D., S. X. Niu, K. T. Chau, J. Z. Jiang, and Y. Gong, "Design and analysis of a double-stator cup-rotor directly driven permanent magnet wind power generator," CES/IEEE 5th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, Vol. 3, 1-5, Aug. 14-16, 2006.
8. Peng, W., F. G. Zhang, and J.-W. Ahn, "Design and control of a novel bearingless SRM with double stator," 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), 1928-1933, May 28-31, 2012.
9. Li, L. B., Q. Y. Zhao, G. K. Shi, and H. J. Wang, "Analysis of feasibility of double-rotor motor applied to hybrid electric vehicle," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 1-5, Sep. 3-5, 2008.
10. Hoeijmakers, M. J. and J. A. Ferreira, "The electric variable transmission," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 42, No. 4, 1092-1100, Jul.-Aug. 2006.
11. Liu, C. and K. T. Chau, "Electromagnetic design and analysis of double rotor flux modulated permanent magnet machines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 81-97, 2012.
12. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Radial force characteristic assessment in a novel two-phase dual layer SRG using FEM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 185-202, 2012.
13. Cui, S. M., Y. J. Yuan, and T. C. Wang, "Research on switched reluctance double-rotor motor used for hybrid electric vehicle," International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, ICEMS, 3393-3396, Oct. 17-20, 2008.
14. Norhisam, M., C. V. Aravind, H. Marhaban, I. Aris, and M. Nirei, Multi-rotor reluctance motor, Malaysian Intellectual Property Filing Agency, Malaysia, Mar. 2013.
15. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Comparison of three novel types of two-phase switched reluctance motors using finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 151-164, 2012.
16. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "FEM analysis of angular misalignment fault in SRM magnetostatic characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 31-48, 2010.
17. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and H. W. Ping, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012.
18. Kameari, A., "Local force calculation in 3D FEM with edge elements," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics in Materials, Vol. 3, 231-240, 1993.
19. Aravind, C. V., M. Norhisam, M. H. Marhaban, and I. Aris, "Analytical design of double rotor switched reluctance motor using optimal pole arc values ," International Review in Electrical and Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 1, 3314-3324, Feb. 2012.