The influence of beam convergence on the photonic band-gaps, or stop-bands (SBs), of onedimensional photonic crystals (1D PCs) is investigated. The investigation is based on an analysis of the gap map obtained from reflection spectra, calculated by the transfer matrix method for various angles of light incidence, φ, The calculated data is compared with reflection spectra taken using Fourier Transform Infrared microspectroscopy. It was found that the introduction of the parameter, Δφ to account for the focused light beam, for angles up to 20°, has little effect on the first, or lowest SB and the SBs adjacent to it. However, an increase in the order of the SB causes an increase in the influence of this parameter.
2. Lourtioz, J.-M., H. Benisty, V. Bergerm, J.-M. Gerard, D. Maystre, and A. Tchelnokov, Photonic Crystals: Towards Nanoscale Photonic Devices, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2005.
3. Soref, R., "The past, present and future of silicon photonics," IEEE J. Select. Top. Quantum Electr., Vol. 12, 1678-1687, 2006.
4. Almeida, V. R., C. A. Barrios, R. R. Panepucci, and M. Lipson, "All-optical control of light on a silicon chip," Nature, Vol. 431, 1081-1084, 2004.
5., Topics in Applied Physics 119: Silicon Photonics II Components and Integration , D. J. Lockwood and L. Pavesi, Eds., Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2011.
6. Baldycheva, A., V. Tolmachev, T. Perova, Y. Zharova, E. Astrova, and K. Berwick, "Silicon photonic crystal filter with ultrawide passband characteristics," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 10, 1854-1856, 2011.
7. Barillaro, G., S. Merlo, S. Surdo, L. M. Strambini, and F. Carpignano, "Integrated optofluidic microsystem based on vertical high-order one-dimensional silicon photonic crystals," Microfluid Nanofluid, Vol. 12, 545-552, 2012.
8. Ghulinyan, M., C. J. Oton, G. Bonetti, Z. Gaburro, and L. Pavesi, "Free-standing porous silicon single and multiple optical cavities," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 93, No. 12, 9724-9729, 2003.
9. Gruning, U., V. Lehmann, S. Ottow, and K. Busch, "Macroporous silicon with a complete two-dimensional photonic band gap centred at 5μm," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 68, 747-749, 1996.
10. Krauss, T. F. and R. M. de La Rue, "Optical characterization of waveguide based photonic microstructures," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 75, 3063-3065, 1999.
11. Rowson, S., A. Chelnokov, C. Cuisin, and J.-M. Lourtioz, "Two-dimensional photonic bandgap reflectors for free-propagating beams in the mid-infrared," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 1, 483-489, 1999.
12. Nguyen, H. C., P. Domachuk, B. J. Eggleton, M. J. Steel, M. Straub, M. Gu, and M. Sumetsky, "New slant on photonic crystal fibers," Opt. Exp., Vol. 12, No. 8, 1528-1539, 2004.
13. Tolmachev, V. A., T. S. Perova, E. V. Astrova, B. Z. Volchek, and J. K. Vij, "Vertically etched silicon as 1D photonic crystal," Phys. Stat. Solidi (a), Vol. 197, No. 2, 544-549, 2003.
14. Palik, E. D., Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, Academic Press, Inc., NY, 1985.
15. Azzam, R. M. A. and N. M. Bashara, Ellipsometry and Polarized Light, North-Holland, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1977.
16. Tolmachev, V., T. Perova, E. Krutkova, and E. Khokhlova, "Elaboration of the gap map method for the design and analysis of one-dimensional photonic crystal structures," Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Vol. 41, 1122-1126, 2009.
17. Tolmachev, V. A., A. V. Baldycheva, K. Berwick, and T. S. Perova, "Influence of fluctuations of the geometrical parameters on the photonic band gaps in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 126, 285-302, 2012.
18. Tolmachev, V. A., T. S. Perova, S. A. Grudinkin, V. A. Melnikov, E. V. Astrova, and Y. A. Zharova, "Electro-tunable in-plane one-dimensional photonic structure based on silicon and liquid crystal," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, No. 1, 011908/1-3, 2007.
19. Tolmachev, V. A., T. S. Perova, J. Ruttle, and E. V. Khokhlova, "Design of one-dimensional photonic crystals using combination of band diagram and photonic gap map approaches," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 104, No. 3, 033536, 2008.
20. Tolmachev, V. A., A. V. Baldycheva, S. A. Dyakov, K. Berwick, and T. S. Perova, "Optical contrast tuning in three-component one-dimensional photonic crystals," J. of Lightwave Tech., Vol. 28, No. 10, 1521-1529, 2010.
21. Tolmachev, V. A., V. A. Melnikov, A. V. Baldycheva, K. Berwick, and T. S. Perova, "Electrically tunable Fabry-Perot resonator based on microstructured Si containing liquid crystal," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 122, 293-309, 2012.
22. Liu, C.-C. and C.-J. Wu, "Near infrared filtering properties in photonic crystal containing extrinsic and dispersive semiconductor defect ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 137, 359-370, 2013.
23. Hung, H.-C., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Enhancement of near-infrared photonic band gap in a doped semiconductor photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 219-235, 2012.
24. Wu, C.-J., T.-J. Yang, C.-C. Li, and P.-Y. Wu, "Investigation of effective plasma frequencies in one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 521-538, 2012.
25. Chang, T.-W., J.-J. Wu, and C.-J. Wu, "Complex photonic band structures in a photonic crystal containing lossy semiconductor InSb," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 153-167, 2012.
26. Yong, Z. H., Z. F. Chen, Y. H. Chen, C. W. Leung, H. Lai, Wa Chan, B. Li, and Y. Wang, "Temporal modulation of light intensity via 1D time-variant photonic crystal structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 627-639, 2013.