As key components of the train control system, balise and Balise Transmission Module (BTM) cooperate with each other and fulfill the ground-train information transmission to ensure the safety and reliability of train operation. Aiming at the requirements for future developments of high-speed railway, this paper builds the model for the dynamic transmission process of the balise tele-powering signal using finite element method and electromagnetic field theory, respectively. The paper analyzes the change law of the magnetic flux density distribution within the balise receiving antenna, and derives expressions for the balise induced voltage amplitude envelope based on train speed. Then, the paper carries out the performance optimization to the existing balise system from two perspectives of the balise mounting style and the BTM mounting height. Experiments show that the proposed optimization measures can substantially enhance the system's adaptability to the ever-increasing train operation speed from the existing 448 km/h to 523 km/h. Furthermore, a potential optimization scheme with respect to the BTM mounting angle which enables huge promotion of the system performance is also discussed and proposed.
2. China Ministry of Railway Principles of application for the balise in CTCS level 2 (V1.0), 2008.
3. Moshe, G., "Development and impact of the modern high-speed train: A review," Transport Reviews, Vol. 26, No. 5, 593-611, 2006.
4. Pu, S., J.-H.Wang, and Z. Zhang, "Estimation for small-scale fading characteristics of RF wireless link under railway communication environment using integrative modeling technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 395-417, 2010.
5. Zhao, L.-H. and W.-S. Shi, "Induction coupling between jointless track circuits and track-circuit-reader antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 173-196, 2013.
6. Xiao, T. and H.-B. Zhao, "Safety research of the coding strategy of eurobalise," Journal of China Railway Society, Vol. 30, No. 6, 127-130, 2008.
7. Zhao, L.-H., Z.-K. Li, and W.-N. Liu, "An integrated uplink-signal detection method of railway balise system based on wavelet ridge," 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies, 78-83, 2009.
8. Xu, N., J.-L. Zhang, and C.-J. Wang, "Key technologies of the balise on-board test equipment under high-speed conditions," China Railway Science, Vol. 31, No. 4, 131-137, 2010.
9. Zeng, J.-Y. and H.-B. Zhao, "Research of the balise transmission module test system," Journal of Beijing Jiaotong University, Vol. 32, No. 2, 80-83, 2008.
10. Sharma, R. and R.-M. Lourde, "Crosstalk reduction in balise and infill loops in automatic train control," 11th INES, 39-44, Budapest, Hungary, 2007.
11. Sevillano, J.-F., J. Mendizabal, and I. Sancho, "Reliability analysis of an ERTMS on-board balise transmission equipment," Reliability, Risk and Safety: Theory and Applications, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2317-2324, 2010.
12. Dhahbi, S. and T. Abbas, "Study of the high-speed trains positioning system: European signaling system ERTMS/ETCS," 4th International Conference on Logistics, 468-473, 2011.
13. Sandidzadeh, M. and A. Khodadadi, "Optimization of balise placement in a railway track using a vehicle, an odometer and genetic algorithm ," Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research, Vol. 70, No. 3, 210-214, 2011.
14. Zhao, L.-H. and Y. Jiang, "Modeling and simulation of balise up-link data transmission based on finite element method," Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, Vol. 46, No. 2, 867-874, 2012.
15. Wei, H.-Y. and M. Soleimani, "Two-phase low conductivity flow imaging using magnetic induction tomography," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 99-115, 2012.
16. Cabanas, M.-F., F. Pedrayes, M. G. Melero, C. H. Rojas, G. A. Orcajo, J. M. Cano, and J. G. Norniella, "Insulation fault diagnosis in high voltage power transformers by means of leakage flux analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 211-234, 2011.
17. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Comparison of three novel types of two-phase switched reluctance motors using finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 125, 151-164, 2012.
18. Lecointe, J.-P., B. Cassoret, and J.-F. Brudny, "Distinction of toothing and saturation effects on magnetic noise of induction motors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 125-137, 2011.
19. Touati, S., et al., "Experimental investigation and optimization of permanent magnet motor based on coupling boundary element method with permeances network ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 71-90, 2011.
20. Zhao, W., et al., "Experimental comparison of remedial single-channel operations for redundant flux-switching permanent-magnet motor drive," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 189-204, 2012.
21. Mahmoudi, A., N.-A. Rahim, and H.-W. Ping, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012.
22. Cheshmehbeigi, H.-M., S.-E. Afjei, and B. Nasiri, "Electromagnetic design based on hybrid analytical and 3-D finite element method for novel two layers BLDC machine," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 141-155, 2013.
23. Fotyga, G., K. Nyka, and M. Mrozowski, "Efficient model order reduction for FEM analysis of waveguide structures and resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 277-295, 2012.
24. Azpurua, M.-A., "A semi-analytical method for the design of coil-systems for homogeneous magneto-static field generation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, 171-189, 2012.
25. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Comparison of the Coulombian and Amperian current models for calculating the magnetic field produced by radially magnetized arc-shaped permanent magnets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 309-327, 2009.
26. Pelloni, S., A. Ligabue, and P. Lazzeretti, "Ring-current models from the differential Biot-Savart law," Organic Letters, Vol. 24, 4451-4454, 2004.
27. Lopez-Ramos, A., J.-R. Menendez, and C. Pique, "Conditions for the validity of Faraday's law of induction and their experimental confirmation," European Journal of Physics, Vol. 29, No. 5, 1069-1076, 2008.
28. Gustafsson, M. and S. Nordebo, "Bandwidth, Q factor, and resonance models of antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 1-20, 2006.
29. Rezaee, P., M. Tayarani, and R. Knöchel, "Active learning method for the determination of coupling factor and external Q in microstrip filter design ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 459-479, 2011.
30. UNISIG SUBSET-036-v2.4.1, "FFFIS for Eurobalise,", 2010.
31. UNISIG SUBSET-085-v2.2.2 Test Specification for Eurobalise FFFIS, 2010.