In this article, a novel compact reconfigurable antenna based on substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology is introduced. The geometry of the proposed antennas is symmetric with respect to the horizontal center line. The electrical shape of the antenna is composed of double H-plane SIW based horn antennas and radio frequency micro electro mechanical system (RF-MEMS) actuators. The RF-MEMS actuators are integrated in the planar structure of the antenna for reconfiguring the radiation pattern by adding nulls to the pattern. The proper activation/deactivation of the switches alters the modes distributed in the structure and changes the radiation pattern. When different combinations of switches are on or off, the radiation patterns have 2, 4, 6, 8,... nulls with nearly similar operating frequencies. The attained peak gain of the proposed antenna is higher than 5 dB at any point on the far field radiation pattern except at the null positions. The design procedure and closed form formulation are provided for analytical determination of the antenna parameters. Moreover, the designed antenna with an overall dimensions of only 63:6 ×50 mm2 is fabricated and excited through standard SMA connector and compared with the simulated results. The measured results show that the antenna can clearly alters its beams using the switching components. The proposed antenna retains advantages of low cost, low cross-polarized radiation, and easy integration configuration.
2. Chen, B., T. Chen, Y. Jiao, and F. Zhang, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with switchable polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 63-68, 2006.
3. Lin, S.-Y., Y.-C. Lin, and J.-Y. Lee, "T-strip fed patch antenna with reconfigurable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 163-173, 2010.
4. Zhang, S., G. H. Huff, J. Feng, and J. T. Bernhard, "A pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 2773-2776, 2004.
5. Ali, M. T., M. N. M. Tan, A. R. B. Tharek, M. R. B. Kamarudin, M. F. Jamlos, and R. Sauleau, "A novel of reconfigurable planar antenna array (RPAA) with beam steering control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 125-146, 2010.
6. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "Planar bowtie antenna with a reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 61-70, 2012.
7. Kamarudin, B., P. Hall, F. Colombel, and M. Himdi, "Electronically switched beam disk-loaded monopole array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 339-347, 2010.
8. Cheng, Y. J., "Substrate integrated waveguide frequency-agile slot antenna and its multibeam application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 153-168, 2012.
9. Kang, W., K. H. Ko, and K. Kim, "A compact beam reconfigurable antenna for symmetric beam switching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 1-16, 2012.
10. Pourziad, A., S. Nikmehr, and H. Veladi, "A novel multi-state integrated RF MEMS switch for reconfigurable antennas applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 389-406, 2013.
11. Rebeiz, G. M., RF MEMS: Theory, Design and Technology, Wiley, New York, 2003.
12. Brown, E., "RF-MEMS switches for reconfigurable integrated circuit," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, 1998.
13. Brown, E. R., "On the gain of a reconfigurable-aperture antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, 1357-1362, 2001.
14. Raedi, Y., S. Nikmehr, and A. Pourziad, "A novel bandwidth enhancement technique for X-band RF MEMS actuated reconfigurable reflectarray," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 179-196, 2011.
15. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided waves and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-73, 2005.
16. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Accurate modeling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2516-2526, 2006.
17. Salehi, M. and E. Mehrshahi, "A closed-form formula for dispersion characteristics of fundamental SIW mode," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, 4-6, 2011.
18. Zhang, Z. G., Y. Fan, Y. J. Cheng, and Y.-H. Zhang, "A novel multilayer dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide complementary filter with circular and elliptic cavities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 173-188, 2012.
19. Wu, D., Y. Fan, M. Zhao, and B. Zheng, "Vertical transition and power divider using via walled circular cavity for multilayer millimeter wave module," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 729-735, 2009.
20. Che, W., E. Yung, K. Wu, and X. Nie, "Design investigation on millimeter-wave ferrite phase shifter in SIW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 45, 263-275, 2004.
21. Bakhtafrooz, A., A. Borji, D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Novel two-layer millimeter-wave slot array antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 475-491, 2010.
22. Lee, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
23. Djera, T. and K.Wu, "Corrugated substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna array fed by quasi-triangular power divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 139-151, 2012.
24. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Design of a Monopulse antenna using a dual V-type linearly tapered slot antenna (DVLTSA)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, 2903-2909, 2008.
25. Cheng, S., H. Yousef, and H. Kratz, "79 GHz slot antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides in a flexible printed circuit board," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, 64-70, 2009.
26. Kazemi, R., A. E. Fathy, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Dielectric rod antenna array with substrate integrated waveguide planar feed network for wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1312-1319, 2012.
27. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley, 2005.
28. Wang, H., D.-G. Fang, B. Zhang, and W.-Q. Che, "Dielectric loaded substrate integrated waveguide H-plane horn antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, 640-647, 2010.
29. Mallahzadeh, R. and S. Esfandiarpour, "Wideband H-plane horn antenna based on ridge substrate integrated waveguide (RSIW)," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 11, 85-88, 2012.
30. Pozar, D., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Edition, Wiley, 2005.
31. Rajagopalan, H., Y. Rahmat-Samii, and W. A. Imbriale, "RF MEMS actuated reconfigurable reflectarray patch-slot element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, 3689-3699, 2008.