A novel hybrid approach to the synthesis of non-uniformly spaced linear arrays of printed antennas is presented and thoroughly discussed in this paper. In order to account for parasitic mutual coupling between array elements, a dedicated optimization procedure in combination with a multiport network approach is adopted. Selected examples are included in order to assess the effectiveness and versatility of the proposed technique.
2. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. de Natale, M. Pastorino, and A. Massa, "Linear antenna synthesis with a hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 1-22, 2004.
3. Kumar, B. P. and G. R. Branner, "Generalized analytical technique for the synthesis of unequally spaced arrays with linear, planar, cylindrical or spherical geometry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 621-634, 2005.
4. Caratelli, D. and M. C. Vigano, "A novel deterministic synthesis technique for constrained sparse array design problems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 4085-4093, 2011.
5. Caratelli, D. and M. C. Vigano, "Analytical synthesis technique for linear uniform-amplitude sparse arrays," Radio Science, Vol. 46, 2011, DOI: 10.1029/2010RS004522.
6. Vigano, M. C., G. Toso, P. Angeletti, I. E. Lager, A. Yarovoy, and D. Caratelli, "Sparse antenna array for Earth-coverage satellite applications," Proc. 4th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2010.
7. Caratelli, D., M. C. Vigano, G. Toso, and P. Angeletti, "Analytical placement technique for sparse arrays," Proc. 32nd ESA Antenna Workshop, 2010.
8. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, Swarm Intelligence, Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, 2001.
9. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Advances in particle swarm optimization for antenna designs: Real-number, binary, single-objective and multi-objective implementations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 556-567, 2007.
10. Li, W.-T., X.-W. Shi, and Y.-Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 319-332, 2008.
11. Perez Lopez, J. R. and J. Basterrechea, "Hybrid particle swarm-based algorithms and their application to linear array synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 63-74, 2009.
12. Liu, D., Q. Feng, and W.-B. Wang, "Discrete optimization problems of linear array synthesis by using real number particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 407-424, 2013.
13. Benalla, A. and K. C. Gupta, "Multiport network model and transmission characteristics of two-port rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, 1337-1342, 1988.
14. Benalla, A. and K. C. Gupta, "Multiport network approach for modeling the mutual coupling effects in microstrip patch antennas and arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, 148-152, 1989.
15. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
16. Peterson, A. F., S. L. Ray, and R. Mittra, Computational Methods for Electromagnetics, Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, 1997.
17. Rao, K. S. and H. J. Moody, "Modelling of shaped beam satellite antenna patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, 639-642, 1987.
18. Sharma, S. B., S. Kulshrestha, R. Jyoti, C. Sriharsha, and B. K. Pandey, "Dual-polarized shaped-beam printed antenna for airborne SAR applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, 383-385, 2005.
19. Liu, X., W. Gao, and Y. Deng, "Synthesis technique of array-fed shaped-reflector antenna for DBF-SAR application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 30-33, 2012.