A novel vertical cascaded planar electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure is proposed for SSN suppression with the ultra-wideband at the restraining depth of -30 dB by analyzing the simultaneous switching noise (SSN) suppression mechanism and the equivalent circuit model for EBG structure. Moreover, the SSN suppression bandwidth can be broadened by using different novel EBG structures required by vertically cascading different planar EBG structures. In addition, the structure is verified to meet signal integrity (SI) by the time-domain simulation. The tested results show that the presented EBG is accordant to the simulated results of the theory method by the vector network analyzer. The proposed structures provide a new designing method for EBG structures to improve the ability of suppressing SSN.
2. Yuan, C. P. and T. H. Chang, "Modal analysis of metal-stub photonic band gap structures in a parallel-plate waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 345-361, 2011.
3. Ding, T. H., Y. S. Li, D. C. Jiang, Y.-Z. Qu, and X. Yan, "Estimation method for simultaneous switching noise in power delivery network for high-speed digital system design ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 79-95, 2012.
4. Zhang, M. S., et al., "A power plane with wideband SSN suppression using a multi-via electromagnetic bandgap structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 307-309, 2007.
5. Shi, L. F., C. Meng, L. Y. Cheng, and C.-S. Cai, "Coplanar EBG structure with meander-L bridge for ultra-wideband mitigation of SSN," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 8-9, 1248-1260, 2012.
6. Gao, M. J., L. S. Wu, and J. F. Mao, "Compact notched ultra-wideband bandpass filter with improved out-of-band performance using Quasi electromagnetic bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 137-150, 2012.
7. Chu, H., X. Q. Shi, and Y. X. Guo, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with a notch band using EBG array etched ground," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 203-209, 2011.
8. Gujral, M., J. L.-W. Li, T. Yuan, and C.-W. Qiu, "Bandwidth improvement of microstrip antenna array using dummy EBG pattern on feedline," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 79-92, 2012.
9. Kim, S. H., T. T. Nguyen, and J. H. Jang, "Reflection characteristics of 1-D EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011.
10. Zhang, M. S., et al., "Simultaneous switching noise suppression in printed circuit boards using a compact 3-D cascaded electromagnetic-bandgap structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2200-2207, 2007.
11. Wu, T.-L., et al., "A novel power plane with super-wideband elimination of ground bounce noise on high speed circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 174-176, 2005.
12. Qin, J. and O. M. Ramahi, "Ultra-wideband mitigation of simultaneous switching noise using novel planar electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 9, 487-489, 2006.
13. Wang, X., et al., "A novel uniplanar compact photonic bandgap power plane with ultra-broadband suppression of ground bounce noise," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 5, 267-268, 2006.
14. Lin, D. B., K. C. Hung, C. T. Wu, and C.-S. Chang, "A serpent bridge electromagnetic bandgap structure for suppressing simultaneous switching noise," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 32, No. 2-3, 213-220, 2009.
15. Huang, C.-H. and T.-L. Wu, "Analytical design of via lattice for ground planes noise suppression and application on embedded planar EBG structures," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1, 21-30, 2013.
16. De Paulis, F., L. Raimondo, and A. Orlandi, "Impact of shorting vias placement on embedded planar electromagnetic bandgap structures within multilayer printed circuit boards," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1867-1876, 2010.
17. Li, J., J. Mao, S. Ren, and H. Zhu, "Embedded planar EBG and shorting via arrays for SSN suppression in multilayer PCBs," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1430-1433, 2012.
18. Kim, K. H. and J. E. S. Aine, "Analysis and modeling of hybrid planar-type electromagnetic-bandgap structures and feasibility study on power distribution network applications ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 178-186, 2008.
19. Wang, T. K., et al., "Design and modeling of a stopband-enhanced EBG structure using ground surface perturbation lattice for power/ground noise suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2047-2054, 2009.
20. Qin, J., O. M. Ramahi, and V. Granatstein, "Novel planar electromagnetic bandgap structures for mitigation of switching noise and EMI reduction in high-speed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, 661-669, 2007.