This paper reports a 2.45 GHz, low power dual circularly polarized (DCP) and dual access rectenna. It contains two dc-recombined rectifiers and a cross-slot coupled square patch antenna fed by a microstrip line. A judicious dc recombination scheme allows to minimize the RF power imbalance between accesses caused by multipath effects and consequently arbitrary polarized incident waves. The proposed rectenna is then able to harvest linearly polarized, right-hand circularly polarized (RHCP) and left-hand circularly polarized (LHCP) electromagnetic waves, with nearly stable performances. The rectenna has been optimized at -15 dBm per access and dedicated to remote and contactless supply low consumption sensors. It has been experimentally tested with very low power densities from 0.057 μW/cm2 (Erms=0.46 V/m) to 2.3 μW/cm2 (Erms=2.95 V/m). At 1.49 μW/cm2 (-15 dBm on each rectifier), the structure exhibits an output dc voltage and a global efficiency of 189 mV and 37.7%, respectively when the azimuthal angle (Φ) of the incident field is equal to 0°. Due to the nearly constant total gain of the DCP antenna and an appropriate dc recombination of the two rectifiers, the global efficiency slightly varies between 37.7% and 41.4% when the azimuthal angle (Φ) varies between -90 and 90°.
Jean-Daniel Lan Sun Luk,
"An Efficient Dual-Circularly Polarized Rectenna for RF Energy Harvesting in the 2.45 GHz
ISM Band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 148, 31-39, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14031103
1. Paing, T., J. Morroni, A. Dolgov, J. Shin, J. Brannan, R. Zane, and Z. Popovic, "Wirelessly-powered wireless sensor platform," Proc. of the 37th European Microw. Conference, Munich, 999-1002, Oct. 2007.
2. Olgun, U., C.-C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Design of an efficient ambient WiFi energy harvesting system," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 11, 1200-1206, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0129
3. Hong, S. S. B., R. Ibrahim, M. H. M. Khir, H. Daud, and M. A. Zakariya, "Rectenna architecture based energy harvester for low power RFID applications," 4th International Conference on Intelligent and Advanced Systems (ICIAS), 382-387, Petronas, Malaysia, Jun. 12-14, 2012.
4. Ren, Y. J. and K. Chang, "5.8-GHz circularly polarized dual-diode rectenna and rectenna array for microwave power transmission," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1495-1502, Apr. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.871362
5. Douyere, A., J. D. Lan Sun Luk, and F. Alicalapa, "High e±ciency microwave rectenna circuit: Modeling and design," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 24, 1409-1410, Nov. 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20081794
6. Zbitou, J., M. Latrach, and S. Toutain, "Hybrid rectenna and monolithic integrated zero-bias microwave rectifier," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 147-152, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.860509
7. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "ISM band rectenna using a ring loaded monopole," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 1-15, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12082813
8. Strassner, B. and K. Chang, "5.8-GHz circularly polarized rectifying antenna for wireless microwave power transmission," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1870-1876, Aug. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.801312
9. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikoski, "Low-profile circularly polarized rectifying antenna for wireless power transmission at 5.8 GHz," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 4, 162-164, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.827114
10. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikoski, "A novel dual-frequency circularly polarized rectenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 330-333, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.824166
11. Perez-Vega, C. and J. L. Garcia, "Polarisation behaviour in the indoor propagation channel," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 10, 898-899, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970598
12. Ali, M., G. Yang, and R. Dougal, "Miniature circularly polarized rectenna with reduced out-of-band harmonics," Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 107-110, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.872411
13. Yo, T. C., C. M. Lee, C. M. Hsu, and C. H. Luo, "Compact circularly polarized rectenna with unbalanced circular slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 56, 882-886, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916956
14. Epp, L. W., A. R. Khan, H. K. Smith, and R. P. Smith, "A compact dual-polarized 8.51 GHz rectenna for high-voltage (50 V) actuator applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 1, 111-120, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.817479
15. Georgiadis, A., G. Andia, and A. Collado, "Rectenna design and optimization using reciprocity theory and harmonic balance analysis for electromagnetic (EM) energy harvesting," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 444-446, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2050131
16. Takhedmit, H., L. Cirio, S. Bellal, D. Delcroix, and O. Picon, "Compact and e±cient 2.45 GHz circularly polarised shorted ring-slot rectenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 5, 253-254, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2011.3890
17. Huang, F.-J., T.-C. Yo, C.-M. Lee, and C.-H. Luo, "Design of circular polarization antenna with harmonic suppression for rectenna application," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 592-595, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2201437
18. Hao, H. and K. Li, "A novel 5.8 GHz circularly polarized rectenna for microwave power transmission," Proceed. of the 7th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, ISAPE'06, 1-4, Guilin, China, Oct. 26-29, 2006.
19. Sullivan, P. L. and D. H. Schaubert, "Analysis of an aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 34, No. 8, 977-984, Aug. 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143929
20. Harouni, Z., L. Cirio, L. Osman, A. Gharsallah, and O. Picon, "A dual circularly polarized 2.45-GHz rectenna for wireless power transmission," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 10, 306-309, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2141973
21. Ansoft Corporations, HFSS V.11 --- Software based on the finite element method,.
22. The advanced design system, Available: http://www.ece.uci.edu/eceware/ads docs/.
23. Datasheet Skyworks: Surface Mount Mixer and Detector Schottky Diodes (SMS 7630-079LF).
24. Takhedmit, H., L. Cirio, O. Picon, C. Vollaire, B. Allard, and F. Costa, "Design and characterization of an e±cient dual patch rectenna for microwave energy recycling in the ISM band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 43, 93-108, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13073105
25. Yoo, T.-W. and K. Chang, "Theoretical and experimental development of 10 and 35 GHz rectennas," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 6, 1259-1266, Jun. 1992. doi:10.1109/22.141359