Magnetic lens based on metamaterials has helped to increase the inductive coupling of two-coil system in wireless power transfer. By coordinate transformation, the spatially mapped metamaterials are proposed in this paper for a new magnetic concentrator in two-coil system to improve the mutual coupling. To achieve such metamaterials, the virtual rectangular domain is spatially mapped into a deformed spherical shell. The effects of such mapped spherical shell, functioning as magnetic concentrator, are simulated and evaluated. The fabrication and simplification of this magnetic concentrator are also considered. Finally, this model of spherical shell is compared with that of a traditional magnetic concentrator to demonstrate its advantage.
"Spatially Mapped Metamaterials Make a New Magnetic Concentrator for the Two-Coil System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 150, 49-57, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIER14110104
1. RamRakhyani, A. K., S. Mirabbasi, and M. Chiao, "Design and optimization of resonance-based efficient wireless power delivery systems for biomedical implants," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Circuits System, Vol. 5, No. 1, 48-63, 2011. doi:10.1109/TBCAS.2010.2072782
2. Zhu, N., R. W. Ziolkowski, and H. Xin, "A metamaterial-inspired, electrically small rectenna for high-efficiency, low power harvesting and scavenging at the global positioning system L1 frequency," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 99, 114101, 2011. doi:10.1063/1.3637045
3. Rindorf, L., L. Lading, and O. Breinbjerg, "Resonantly coupled antennas for passive sensors," Proc. IEEE Sens., 1611-1614, 2008.
5. Huang, D., Y. Urzhumov, et al. "Magnetic superlens-enhanced inductive coupling for wireless power transfer,", arXiv:1204.0231v1, 2012.
6. Wang, B., T. Nishino, and K. H. Teo, "Wireless power transmission efficiency enhancement with metamaterials," 2010 IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS), 1-4, 2010.
7. Wang, B., K. H. Teo, T. Nishino, et al. "Experiments on wireless power transfer with metamaterials," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 98, No. 25, 254101, 2011. doi:10.1063/1.3601927
8. Wang, B. and K. H. Teo, "Wireless power transfer: Metamaterials and array of coupled resonators," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 101, No. 6, 1359-1368, 2013. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2013.2245611
9. Rajagopalan, A. and A. K. RamRakhyani, "Improving power transfer efficiency of a short-range telemetry system using compact metamaterials," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 62, No. 4, 947-955, 2014. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2014.2304927
10. Ramahi, O. M., T. S. Almonee, and et al, "Metamaterial particles for electromagnetic energy harvesting," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 101, 173903, 2012. doi:10.1063/1.4764054
11. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "Design of spiral and multiple split-ring resonators for the realization of miniaturized metamaterial samples," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 8, 2258-2267, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901950
12. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 1780, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
13. Cummer, S. A., B. I. Popa, D. Schurig, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Full-wave simulations of electromagnetic cloaking structures," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 036621, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.74.036621
14. Chen, H. and C. T. Chan, "Transformation media that rotate electromagnetic fields," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, 241105, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2748302
15. Jiang, W. X., T. J. Cui, Q. Cheng, J. Y. Chin, X. M. Yang, and R. Liu, "Design of arbitrarily shaped concentrators based on conformally optical transformation of nonuniform rational B-spline surfaces," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 92, 264101, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2951485
16. Rahm, M., D. Schurig, D. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwell’s equations," Photo. Nano. Fund. Appl., Vol. 6, 87, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.photonics.2007.07.013