For the purpose of two-dimensional (2-D) imaging in the Terahertz (THz) near field through 2-D synthetic aperture radar technology, Fourier transform (FT) is one of the most popular imaging ways. However, FT-based algorithms would encounter performance loss either when spatial sampling is under Nyquist frequency or there are off-grid scatterers in the scene of interest. Therefore, by exploiting the theory of matrix enhancement and continuous parameter estimation, we propose to use matrix enhancement and matrix pencil (MEMP) method and matched filter to deal with arbitrarily located scatterers when spatial under-sampling is adopted. Through constructing a specifically expanded matrix, the information of the scatterers involved in the small data set can be enhanced. Then, highresolution grid-independence 2-D imaging can be achieved by the combination of MP and matched filter. Simulation results verify the effectiveness of the proposed algorithm.
2. Prozheev, I. V., O. A. Smolyanskaya, M. V. Duka, A. A. Ezerskaya, V. V. Orlov, E. A. Strepitov, N. S. Balbekin, and M. K. Khodzi, "Study of penetration depth dispersion of THz radiation in human pathological tissues," PIERS Proceedings, 1536-1539, Guangzhou, August 25–28, 2014.
3. Sheen, D. M., D. L. Mcmakin, and T. E. Hall, "Three-dimensional millimeter-wave imaging for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1581-1592, 2001.
4. Zhang, B., Y. Pi, and R. Min, "A near-field 3D circular SAR imaging technique based on spherical wave decomposition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 327-346, 2013.
5. Ding, J., M. Kahl, O. Loffeld, and P. H. Bolivar, "THz 3-D image formation using SAR techniques: Simulation, processing and experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 5, 606-616, 2013.
6. Li, S., C. Li, W. Liu, and Z. Sun, "Study of terahertz superresolution imaging scheme with realtime capability based on frequency scanning antenna," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1-13, 2016.
7. Franceschini, G., et al., "Inversion of phaseless total field data using a two-step strategy based on the iterative multiscaling approach," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 12, 3527-3539, 2006.
8. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Location and imaging of two-dimensional scatterers by using a particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 481-494, 2004.
9. Donelli, M., I. J. Craddock, D. Gibbins, and M. Sarafianou, "A three-dimensional time domain microwave imaging method for breast cancer detection based on an evolutionary algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 179-195, 2012.
10. Chi, Y., L. L. Scharf, A. Pezeshki, and A. R. Calderbank, "Sensitivity to basis mismatch in compressed sensing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 5, 2182-2195, 2011.
11. Tang, G., B. N. Bhaskar, P. Shah, and B. Recht, "Compressed sensing off the grid," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 59, No. 11, 7465-7490, 2013.
12. Wang, M., W. Yu, and R. Wang, "Azimuth multichannel SAR imaging based on compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 497-516, 2013.
13. Wei, S.-J., X.-L. Zhang, J. Shi, and G. Xiang, "Sparse reconstruction for SAR imaging based on compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 63-81, 2010.
14. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "Esprit-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989.
15. Hua, Y. and T. Sarkar, "Matrix pencil method for estimating parameters of exponentially damped/undamped sinusoids in noise," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 38, No. 5, 814-824, 1990.
16. Hua, Y., "Estimating two-dimensional frequencies by matrix enhancement and matrix pencil," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 40, No. 9, 2267-2280, 1992.
17. Zhuge, X. and G. Y. Alexander, "A sparse aperture MIMO-SAR-based UWB imaging system for concealed weapon detection," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 1, 509-518, 2011.
18. Zhuge, X. and G. Y. Alexander, "Three-dimensional near-field MIMO array imaging using range migration techniques," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 21, No. 6, 3026-3033, 2012.