In this work, reflectarray antennas are proposed for their use as probes in compact antenna test ranges. For that purpose, the quiet zone generated by a single oset reflectarray is enhanced, overcoming the limitation imposed by the amplitude taper of the feed antenna. First, the near field is characterized by a radiation model which computes the near eld of the reflectarray as far field contributions of each element, which are modeled as small rectangular apertures and thus taking into account the active element pattern. Then, a phase only synthesis is performed with the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm in order to improve the size of the generated quiet zone. Due to the nature of the application, this near eld synthesis takes into account both the amplitude and phase, making it a more challenging task than an amplitude-only synthesis. The optimization is focused on flattening the amplitude while trying to preserve the phase front generated by the reflectarray.
2. Encinar, J. A., L. S. Datashvili, J. A. Zornoza, M. Arrebola, M. Sierra-Castaner, J. L. BesadaSanmartin, H. Baier, and H. Legay, "Dual-polarization dual-coverage re ectarray for space applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 10, 2827-2837, Oct. 2006.
3. Encinar, J. A., M. Arrebola, L. F. de la Fuente, and G. Toso, "A transmit-receive reflectarray antenna for direct broadcast satellite applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 9, 3255-3264, Sep. 2011.
4. Legay, H., D. Bresciani, E. Labiole, R. Chiniard, and R. Gillard, "A multi facets composite panel re ectarray antenna for a space contoured beam antenna in Ku band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 54, 1-26, 2013.
5. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, A. Liseno, and G. Toso, "Fast, phase-only synthesis of aperiodic re ectarrays using NUFFTs and CUDA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 156, 83-103, 2016.
6. Arrebola, M., J. A. Encinar, and M. Barba, "Multifed printed re ectarray with three simultaneous shaped beams for LMDS central station antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1518-1527, Jun. 2008.
7. Yu, J.-F., L. Chen, J. Yang, and X.-W. Shi, "An improved predesign procedure for shaped-beam reflectarrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 40, 119-127, 2014.
8. Zornoza, J. A., R. Leberer, J. A. Encinar, and W. Menzel, "Folded multilayer microstrip reflectarray with shaped pattern," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 510-518, Feb. 2006.
9. Rengarajan, S. R., "Reflectarrays of rectangular microstrip patches for dual-polarization dual-beam radar interferometers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 1-15, 2013.
10. Patyuchenko, A., C. Tienda, M. Younis, S. Bertl, P. Lopez-Dekker, and G. Krieger, "Digital beamforming SAR interferometer based on a multi-beam re ectarray antenna," Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (EUSAR), 1-4, Berlin, Germany, Jun. 3–5, 2014.
11. You, B.-Q., Y.-X. Liu, J.-H. Zhou, and H.-T. Chou, "Numerical synthesis of dual-band reflectarray antenna for optimum near-field radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 760-762, 2012.
12. Kamoda, H., T. Iwasaki, J. Tsumochi, T. Kuki, and O. Hashimoto, "60-GHz electronically reconfigurable large re ectarray using single-bit phase shifters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2524-2531, Jul. 2011.
13. Hung, W.-T., J.-J. Tung, and S.-Y. Chen, "A focusing re ectarray and its application in microwave virus sanitizer," Radio Sci., Vol. 49, No. 10, 890-898, Oct. 2014.
14. Olver, A. D., "Compact antenna test ranges," Seventh International Conference on Antennas and Propagation (ICAP), 99-108, York, UK, Apr. 15–18, 1991.
15. Karttunen, A., J. Ala-Laurinaho, M. Vaaja, T. Koskinen, J. Hakli, A. Lonnqvist, J. Mallat, A. Tamminen, V. Viikari, and A. V. Raisanen, "Antenna tests with a hologram-based CATR at 650 GHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 711-720, Mar. 2009.
16. Hu, W., M. Arrebola, R. Cahill, J. A. Encinar, V. Fusco, H. S. Gamble, Y. Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras, "94 GHz dual-reflector antenna with reflectarray subreflector," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3043-3050, Oct. 2009.
17. Prado, D. R., M. Arrebola, M. R. Pino, and F. Las-Heras, "Evaluation of the quiet zone generated by a re ectarray antenna," International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 702-705, Cape Town, South Africa, Sep. 2–7, 2012.
18. Vaquero, A. F., D. R. Prado, M. Arrebola, M. R. Pino, and F. Las-Heras, "Near field synthesis of re ectarrays using intersection approach," 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 3644-3648, Paris, France, Mar. 19–24, 2017.
19. Vaquero, A. F., D. R. Prado, M. Arrebola, M. R. Pino, and F. Las-Heras, "Reflectarray probe optimization at millimeter frequencies," 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Davos, Switzerland, Apr. 10–15, 2016.
20. Alvarez, J., R. G. Ayestaran, G. Leon, L. F. Herran, A. Arboleya, J. A. Lopez-Fernandez, and F. Las-Heras, "Near field multifocusing on antenna arrays via non-convex optimisation," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 10, 754-764, Jul. 2014.
21. Ismail, T. H., D. I. Abu-Al-Nadi, and M. J. Mismar, "Phase-only control for antenna pattern synthesis of linear arrays using the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm," Electromagnetics, Vol. 24, No. 7, 555-564, 2004.
22. Nocedal, J. and S. J. Wright, Numerical Optimization, 2nd Ed., Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
23. Aghasi, A., H. Amindavar, E. L. Miller, and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "Flat-top footprint pattern synthesis through the design of arbitrary planar-shaped apertures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2539-2552, Aug. 2010.
24. Wen, Y., W. S. Gan, and J. Yang, "Nonlinear least-square solution to at-top pattern synthesis using arbitrary linear array," Signal Process., Vol. 85, No. 9, 1869-1874, Sep. 2005.
25. Alvarez, J., R. G. Ayestaran, and F. Las-Heras, "Design of antenna arrays for near-field focusing requirements using optimisation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 21, 1323-1325, Oct. 2012.
26. Alvarez, J., M. Arrebola, R. G. Ayestaran, and F. Las-Heras, "Systematic framework for re ectarray synthesis based on phase optimization," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2012, 1-9, Jun. 2012.
27. Prado, D. R., J. Alvarez, M. Arrebola, M. R. Pino, R. G. Ayestaran, and F. Las-Heras, "Efficient, accurate and scalable re ectarray phase-only synthesis based on the LevenbergMarquardt algorithm," Appl. Comp. Electro. Society Journal, Vol. 30, No. 12, 1246-1255, Dec. 2015.
28. Encinar, J. A. and M. Barba, "Design manufacture and test of Ka-band reflectarray antenna for trasmitting and receiving in orthogonal polarization," 14th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics, 1-4, Ottawa, Canada, Jul. 5–8, 2010.
29. Arboleya, A., Y. Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras, "Millimeter and submillimeter planar measurement setup," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, Orlando, Florida, USA, Jul. 7–13, 2013.
30. Rahmat-Samii, Y., L. I. Williams, and R. G. Yaccarino, "The UCLA bi-polar planar-near-field antenna-measurement and diagnostics range," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 37, No. 6, 16-35, Dec. 1995.
31. Rocca, P. and A. F. Morabito, "Optimal synthesis of reconfigurable planar arrays with simplified architectures for monopulse radar applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 1048-1058, Mar. 2015.
32. Chakraborty, A., B. N. Das, and G. S. Sanyal, "Beam shaping using nonlinear phase distribution in a uniformly spaced array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 5, 1031-1034, Sep. 1982.