The study and design of a wideband aperture coupled microstrip patch array is presented. The proposed design considers the 2.4 to 3 GHz frequency range but may be adapted to other frequencies. A 16 element planar array of the size of about 400 mm by 400 mm by 12.5 mm provides measured gain between 15.4 to 16.8 dBi and Side-Lobe Level (SLL) between 15.3 to 20.7 dB without a reflector within the 2.4 to 3 GHz frequency range. With a reflector significant increase in F/B is obtained but at the expense of higher SLL.
2. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, Jan. 1992.
3. Yang, F., X. X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 49, 1094-1100, Jul. 2001.
4. Chair, R., C. L. Mak, K. F. Lee, K. M. Luk, and A. A. Kishk, "Miniature wide-band half U-slot and half E-shaped patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, 2645-2652, Aug. 2005.
5. Wang, H., X. B. Huang, and D. G. Fang, "A single layer wideband U-slot microstrip patch antenna array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Letters, Vol. 7, 9-12, 2008.
6. Lam, K. Y., K. M. Luk, K. F. Lee, H. Wong, and K. B. Ng, "Small circularly polarized U-slot wideband patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Letters, Vol. 10, 87-90, 2011.
7. Wang, S., H. W. Lai, K. K. So, K. B. Ng, Q. Xue, and G. Liao, "Wideband shorted patch antenna with a modified half U-slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Letters, Vol. 11, 689-692, 2012.
8. Liu, S., W. Wu, and D. G. Fang, "Single-feed dual-layer dual-band E-shaped and U-slot patch antenna for wireless communication application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Letters, Vol. 15, 468-471, 2016.
9. Ali, M., A. T. M. Sayem, and V. K. Kunda, "A reconfigurable stacked microstrip patch antenna for satellite and terrestrial links," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, Vol. 56, 426-435, Mar. 2007.
10. Splitt, G., "Guidelines for design of electromagnetically coupled microstrip patch antennas on two-layer substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 7, 1136-1140, Jul. 1990.
11. Pozar, D. M., "A microstrip antenna aperture coupled to a microstrip line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 21, 49-50, Jan. 17, 1985.
12. Targonski, S. D., R. B. Waterhouse, and D. M. Pozar, "Wide-band aperture-coupled stacked patch antenna using thick substrate," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 21, 1941-1942, Nov. 1996.
13. Poduval, D. and M. Ali, "A broadband high-gain aperture coupled patch array for communication and radar applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, San Diego, Jul. 2017.
14. Balanis, A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, 2012.
16. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Fast low side-lobe synthesis for large planar array antennas utilizing successive fast Fourier transforms of the array factor," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 3, 715-722, Mar. 2007.
17. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Element failure correction for a large monopulse phased array antenna with active amplitude weighting," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 8, 2211-2218, Aug. 2007.