A multifunction antenna system providing a radar function and a communication function simultaneously is proposed. The system is composed of a horn antenna whose feeding waveguide is loaded with slots. The horn radiation is used for the main radar function. The slotted waveguide radiation is controlled independently from the horn radiation to perform a direct binary phase shift keying (BPSK) communication provided that each radiating slot is equipped with a simple switching mechanism. Then, the antenna system provides two different functions using orthogonal polarizations and directions. Measured results show 9.1 dB and 32 dB isolation between the two functions at the working frequency. In addition, the proposed system can be integrated with the existing radars which use horns by replacing only the feeding waveguide.
2. Hou, Y., D. Su, W. Chen, and K. Ding, "Analysis and improvement the isolation between antennas on airborne platform with traveling wave antennas method," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. EMC Conference, 1-4, Detroit, MI, USA, Aug. 18–22, 2008.
3. Hemmi, C., R. Thomas Dover, F. German, and A. Vespa, "Multifunction wide-band array design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 425-431, Mar. 1999.
4. Lemorton, J., C. Le Moine, C. Delhote, and F. Christophe, "Multifunction antenna system concepts: Opportunity for ultra-wideband radars?," Non-standard Antennas, Chap. 4, 93-100, J. Wiley and Sons, New Jersey, USA, 2011.
5. Quan, S. J., W. P. Qian, and J. H. Guo, "Radar-communication integration: An overview," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Advanced Infocomm Technology (ICATT), 98-103, Fuzhou, China, Nov. 14–16, 2014.
6. Zhao, J., K. Huo, and X. Li, "A chaos-based phase-coded OFDM signal for joint radar-communication systems," Proc. 12th ICSP, 1997-2002, Hangzhou, China, Oct. 19–23, 2014.
7. Yue, Y. and J. Zhou, "A wideband dual-polarized antenna array for multifunction radar," 2016 IEEE 5th APCAP, 393-394, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Jul. 26–29, 2016.
8. Arismar Cerqueira, Jr., S., I. F. da Costa, S. Pinna, S. Melo, F. Laghezza, F. Scotti, P. Ghelfi, D. H. Spadoti, and A. Bogoni, "A novel dual-polarization and dual-band slotted waveguide antenna array for dual-use radars," 2016 10th EuCAP, 1-4, Davos, Switzerland, Apr. 10–15, 2016.
9. Euziere, J., R. Guinvarc’h, R. Gillard, and B. Uguen, "Optimization of sparse time-modulated array by genetic algorithm for radar applications," IEEE AWPL, Vol. 13, 161-164, 2014.
10. Babakani, A., D. B. Rutledge, and A. Hajimiri, "Near-field direct antenna modulation," IEEE Microwave Magazine, 36-46, Feb. 2009.
11. Uhl, B., "Direct spatial antenna modulation for phased-array applications," Proc. Int. Telemetering Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Oct. 2009.
12. Shanks, H. E. and R. W. Bickmore, "Four-dimensional electromagnetic radiators," Canadian Journal of Physics, Vol. 37, 263-275, 1959.
13. Ouedraogo, S., I. Hinostroza, R. Guinvarch, and R. Gillard, "Antenna system for simultaneous radar and communication applications," 2016 10th EuCAP, 1-4, Davos, Switzerland, Apr. 10–15, 2016.
14. Ren, Y. J. and C.-P. Lai, "Wideband antennas for modern radar systems," Radar Technology, Chap. 17, InTech, 2010.
15. Kuriyama, A., H. Nagaishi, H. Kuroda, and K. Takano, "A high efficiency antenna with horn and lens for 77 GHz automotive long range radar," 2016 46th EuMC, 1525-1528, London, England, Oct. 3–7, 2016.
16. FEKO v14, Comprehensive computational electromagnetics (CEM) code, https://altairhyperworks.com/product/FEKO.
17. Conway, D., M. Fosberry, G. Brigham, E. Loew, and C. Liu, "On the development of a C-band active array frontend for an airborne polarimetric radar," 2013 IEEE Inter. Symp. on Phased Array Systems & Tech., 198-201, Waltham, MA, USA, Oct. 15–18, 2013.
18. Collin, R. E., "Aperture-type antenna," Antennas and Radiowave Propagation, Chap. 4, 265-273, McGraw-Hill, USA, 1985.
19. Kubo, H., M. Takamatsu, T. Yamamoto, and A. Sanada, "Waveguide-type discrete beam-scan antenna with switching diodes," Proc. EuMC, 1479-1482, Paris, France, Sept. 7–10, 2015.