A full-wave analysis of the scattering parameters of a straight-to-bent microstrip line coupling is performed using a FEM technique. The numerical results, showing the influence played by the geometrical parameters of the structure on the electromagnetic coupling, are then employed to derive an equivalent circuit useful to be employed in CAD tools. A third order polynomial approximant useful to compute the equivalent circuit elements is finally provided.
2. Changhua, W., "Analytically and accurately determined quasistatic parameters of coupled microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 1, 75-80, 1996.
3. Elsherbeni, A. Z., C. E. Smith, and B. Moumneh, "Minimization of the coupling between a two conductor microstrip transmission line using finite difference method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 12, 1-35, 1996.
4. Sabban, A. and K. C. Gupta, "A planar-lumped model for coupled microstrip lines and discontinuities," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 2, 245-252, 1992.
5. Hill, D. A., K. H. Cavecy, and R. T. Johnk, "Crosstalk between microstrip transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 36, No. 4, 314-321, 1994.
6. Elsherbeni, A. Z., C. E. Smith, H. Golestanian, and S. He, "Quasistatic characteristics of a two-conductor multi-layer microstrip line with dielectric overlay and a notch between the strips," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 6, 769-789, 1993.
7. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Optimum design of microstrip interconnects using additional coupling capacitance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 7, 973-986, 2005.
8. Zheng, Q. H., P. Zhang, R. H. Li, and X. Q. Zhang, "Multipole theory analysis of rectangular shielded planar striplines," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1357-1366, 2006.
9. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of coupled nonuniform transmission lines using short exponential or linear sections," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 299-312, 2007.
10. El-Shenawee, M. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Analysis of signal distortion on coupled microstrip lines with an overlay and a notch," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 11, No. 12, 1627-1631, 1997.
11. Matsunaga, M., M. Katayama, and K. Yasumoto, "Coupled-mode analysis of line parameters of coupled microstrip lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 24, 1-17, 1999.
12. Watanabe, K. and K. Yasumoto, "Coupled-mode analysis of coupled microstrip transmission lines using a singular perturbation technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 25, 95-110, 2000.
13. Makri, R., N. K. Uzunoglu, and M. Gargalakos, "Computation of passive finite three dimensional MMIC structures using a global method of moments approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 2, 159-183, 2002.
14. Wu, S. C., H. Y. Yang, N. G. Alexopoulos, and I. Wolff, "A rigorous dispersive characterization of microstrip cross and T junctions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 12, 1837-1844, 1990.
15. Gopinath, A. and C. Gupta, "Capacitance parameters of discontinuities in microstriplines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 26, No. 10, 831-836, 1978.
16. Yang, H. Y., N. G. Alexopoulos, and D. R. Jackson, "Microstrip open-end and gap discontinuities in a substrate-superstrate structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 37, No. 10, 1542-1546, 1989.
17. Cicchetti, R. and A. Faraone, "An expansion function suited for fast full-wave spectral domain analysis of microstrip discontinuities," Int. J. Microw. Millimet. Wave Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 4, No. 3, 297-306, 1994.
18. Arshadi, A. and A. Cheldavi, "A simple and novel model for edged microstrip line (EMTL)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 233-259, 2006.
19. Rezaiesarlak, R., F. Hodjatkashani, and E. Mehrshahi, "Analysis of capacitively coupled microstrip-ring resonator based on spectral domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 25-33, 2008.
20. Moore, J. and H. Ling, "Characterization of a 90 degree microstrip bend with arbitrary miter via the time-domain finite difference method," Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 4, 405-410, 1990.
21. Hashemi-Nasab, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Coupling model for the two orthogonal microstrip lines in two layer PCB board (quasi-TEM approach) ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 153-163, 2006.
22. Bernardi, P., R. Cicchetti, and A. Faraone, "EMC-oriented full-wave modeling of passive MIMIC structures for wireless applications," Special Issue on Millimeter Waves of the Ann. Telecom., Vol. 52, No. 3-4, 155-163, 1997.
23. Cicchetti, R. and A. Faraone, "A full-wave radiation model for a class of gridded ground interconnecting structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 1, 212-213, 1999.
24. Martini, E., G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "A hybrid finite-element-modal-expansion method with a new type of curvilinear mapping for the analysis of microwave passive devices," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1712-1717, 2003.
25. Limiti, E., E. Martini, G. Pelosi, M. Pierozzi, and S. Selleri, "Efficient hybrid finite elements — modal expansion method for microstrip-to-waveguide transitions analysis," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 15, No. 8, 1027-1035, 2001.
26. Bernardi, P., R. Cicchetti, G. Pelosi, A. Reatti, S. Selleri, and M. Tatini, "Full wave analysis of straight-to-bent microstrip line coupling," EMC Europe Workshop 2005, 283-286, 2005.
27. Bilzer, H., P. Schuh, F. M. Pitsch, and W. Menzel, "A new modular design for test and application PCBs of SAW RF filters to ensure precisely predictable filter characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 12, 2712-2717, 2004.
28. Graglia, R. D., D. R. Wilton, and A. F. Peterson, "Higher order interpolatory vector bases for computational electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 3, 329-342, 1997.
29. Cavanna, T., E. Franzese, E. Limiti, G. Pelosi, S. Selleri, and A. Suriani, "Coplanar to rectangular waveguide millimeter-waves transitions manufacturing tolerance analysis with the finite element method," Int. J. of RF and Microw. Comp. Aided Eng., Vol. 16, No. 2, 118-124, 2006.
30. Chang, K., Hanbook of Microwave and Optical Components, Vol. 1, Microwave Passive and Antenna Components, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997.