In this paper a transfer matrix treatment for the reflectivity and transmissivity spectra of electromagnetic waves propagating in a nano sized multilayer periodic structure has been presented. Effect of varying the angle of incidence on the photonic bandgaps is shown. The design of a tunable polarizer by reflection which is more efficient in comparison to that obtained by reflection from a single dielectric slab, has been suggested.
2. Johnson, S. G. and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Introduction to photonic crystal: Bloch's theorem, band diagrams and gaps (but no defects)," Photonic Crystal Tutorial, 1-16, 2003, http://ab-initio.mit.edu/photons/tutorial/.
3. Yeh, P., A. Yariv, and C. S. Hong, "Electromagnetic propagation in periodic stratified media. I. General theory," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 67, 423-438, 1977.
4. Sakoda, K., Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, Springer, Germany, 2001.
5. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid state physics and electromagnetics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2059, 1987.
6. Mekis, A., M. Meier, A. Dodabalapur, R. E. Slusher, and J. D. Joannopulos, "Lasing mechanism in two-dimensional photonic crystal lasers," Appl. Phy. A: Materials Science and Processing, Vol. 69, 111-114, 1999.
7. Painter, O., R. K. Lee, A. Scherer, A. Yariv, J. D. O'Brien, P. D. Dappus, and I. Kim, "Two-dimensional photonic band-gap defect mode laser," Science, Vol. 284, 1819-1821, 1999.
8. Noda, S., M. Yokoyama, M. Imada, A. Chutinan, and M. Mochizuki, "Polarisation mode control of two-dimensional photonic crystal laser by unit cell structure design," Science, Vol. 293, 1123-1125, 2001.
9. Knight, J. C., J. Broeng, T. A. Bieks, and P. S. J. Russell, "Photonic band gap guidance in optical fibers," Science, Vol. 282, 1476-1479, 1998.
10. Ziolkowski, R. W. and M. Tanaka, "FDTD analysis of PBG waveguides, power splitters and switches," Opt. Quant. Electron., Vol. 31, 843-855, 1999.
11. Ozbay, E., M. Bayindir, I. Bulu, and E. Cubukcu, "Investigation of localized coupled cavity modes in two-dimensional photonic bandgap structures," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 38, 837-843, 2002.
12. Zheng, Q. R., Y. Q. Fu, and N. C. Yuan, "Characteristics of planar PBG structures witha cover layer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1439-1453, 2006.
13. Rojas, J. A. M., J. Alpuente, J. Pineiro, and R. Sanchez, "Rigorous full vectorial analysis of electromagnetic wave propagation in 1D," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 89-105, 2006.
14. Ozbay, E., B. Temelkuran, and M. Bayinder, "Microwave application of photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 185-209, 2003.
15. Srivastava, R., S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional reflection in photonic crystal heterostructures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 197-208, 2008.
16. Zandi, O., Z. Atlasbaf, and K. Forooraghi, "Flat multilayer dielectric reflector antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 1-19, 2007.
17. Zhao, L. P., X. Zhai, B. Wu, T. Su, W. Xue, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode bandpass filter using rectangle structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 131-141, 2008.
18. Singh, S. K., J. P. Pandey, K. B. Thapa, and S. P. Ojha, "Structural parameters in the formation of omnidirectional high reflectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 53-78, 2007.
19. Pandey, P. C., A. Mishra, and S. P. Ojha, "Modal dispersion characteristics of a single mode dielectric optical waveguide with a guiding region cross-section bounded by two involuted spirals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 1-13, 2007.
20. Osipov, A. V., I. T. Iakubov, A. N. Lagarkov, S. A. Maklakov, D. A. Petrov, K. N. Rozanov, and I. A. Ryzhikov, "Multi-layered Fe films for microwave applications," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 1303-1306, 2007.
21. Shi, S. and D. W. Prather, "Lasing dynamics of a novel silicon photonic crystal cavity," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 746-750, 2007.
22. Yatsyk, V., "Effects of the resonant scattering of intensive fields by weakly nonlinear dielectric layer," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 524-527, 2006.
23. Brongersma, M. L., R. Zia, and J. Schuler, "Plasmonics — The missing link between nanoelectronics and microphotonics," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, 360-362, 2007.
24. Hou, S. and C. Hu, "Influence of electro-optic effecton waveguide efficiency of optical fiber withcladding made of uniaxial crystal materials," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, 614-618, 2006.
25. Li, L., C.-H. Liang, and C. H. Chan, "Waveguide end slot phased array antenna integrated with electromagnetic bandgap structures," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 161-174, 2007.
26. Kokkorakis, G. C., "Calculating the electric field in nanostructures," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1433-1443, 2007.
27. Li, L. and J. A. Dobrowolski, "Visible broadband, wide-angle, thin-film multilayer polarizing beam splitter," Appl. Opt., Vol. 35, 2221-2225, 1996.
28. Hecht, E., Optics, 4th Ed., 349, Addison Wesley, 2002.
29. Yeh, P., "Optics of periodic layered media," Optical Waves in Layered Media, 118-142, 1998.
30. Born, M. and E. Wolf, "Basic properties of the electromagnetic field," Principles of Optics, 1-70, 1980.
31. Dowling, J. P. and C. M. Bowden, "Anomalous index of refraction in photonic band gap materials," J. Mod. Optics, Vol. 41, 345-351, 1994.
32. John, S. and J. Wang, "Quantum optics of localized light in a photonic band gap," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 43, 12772-12789, 1991.
33. Liu, N.-H., "Propagation of light waves in Thue-Morse dielectric multilayers," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 55, 3543-3547, 1997.
34. Liu, N.-H., "Defect modes of stratified dielectric media," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 55, 4097-4100, 1997.
35. Born, M. and E. Wolf, "Basic properties of the electromagnetic field," Principles of Optics, Vol. 60, 1980.
36. Born, M. and E. Wolf, "Basic properties of the electromagnetic field," Principles of Optics, Vol. 44, 1980.