Based on the deterministic Maxwellian framework, we investigate the ability of each of the dual fields (electric and magnetic) in carrying independent information in a multi-polarization MIMO system. We quantify the performance by using a well-defined power independent dimensionality (PID) metric. We present numerical results for 3 deterministic scenarios: a canonical free-space (near and far field exact solution), a canonical PEC corridor (using rigorous modal analysis) and a lossy-wall corridor (using image ray tracing). The deterministic results show that in a multi-path rich environment, the hexapole system (collocated polarized electric and magnetic point radiators) is almost guaranteed to provide more than 3 DOF. However, in the simulated scenarios, the maximum 6 DOF are never attained due to the inevitable coupling between the electric and magnetic fields. On the other hand, for a tripole system, the upper-limit of 3 DOF is achievable.
2. Svantesson, T., M. A. Jensen, and J. W. Wallace, "Analysis of electromagnetic field polarizations in multiantenna systems," IEEE Trans.Wir eless Comm., Vol. 3, 641-646, Mar. 2004.
3. Piestun, R. and D. A. B. Miller, "Electromagnetic degrees of freedom of an optical system," Optical Society of America, Vol. 17, 892-902, May 2000.
4. Poon, A. S. Y., R. W. Brodersen, and D. N. C. Tse, "Degrees of freedom in multiple-antenna channels: A signal space approach," IEEE Trans.Information Theory, Vol. 51, 523-536, Feb. 2005.
5. Sarkar, T. K., M. Salazar-Palma, M. Wicks, and R. J. Bonneau, , Smart Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
6. Sarkar, T. K., S. Burintramart, N. Yilmazer, S. Hwang, Y. Zhang, A. De, and M. Salazar-Palma, "A discussion about some of the principles/practices of wireless communication under a Maxwellian framework," IEEE Trans.A ntennas Propagation, Vol. 54, 3727-3745, Dec. 2006.
7. Harrington, R. F., Time-harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, McGraw-Hill, 1961.
8. Clemmow, P. C., The Plane Wave Spectrum Representation of Electromagnetic Fields, Oxford Pergamon Press, 1966.
9. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
10. Elnaggar, M., S. Safavi-Naeini, and S. K. Chaudhuri, "Effect of oversimplifying the simulated indoor propagation on the deterministic MIMO capacity," IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE 2004), Vol. 1, 219-222, Niagara Falls, ON, May 2004.
11. Elnaggar, M. S., S. Safavi-Naeini, and S. K. Chaudhuri, "A novel dimensionality metric for multi-antenna systems," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC2006), Yokohama, Japan, Dec. 2006.