In the present work, a precise optimization method is proposed for tuning the parameters of ITU-R P.1546 recommendation to improve its accuracy in VHF and UHF propagation prediction. In this optimization method, the genetic algorithm is used to tune the model parameters. The predictions of the tuned model are compared with those of the ITU-R P.1546 recommendation and verified in comparison with some electric field strength measurements obtained by utilizing the IS-95 pilot signal in a commercial CDMA network in rural Australia.
2. Hanci, B. Y. and I. H. Cavdar, "Mobile radio propagation measurements and tuning the path loss model in urban areas at GSM-900 band in Istanbul-Turkey," Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 139-143, Sept. 2004.
3. Lee, D. J. Y. and W. C. Y. Lee, "Fine tune Lee model," Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Vol. 1, 406-410, Sept. 2000.
4. Shih-Chung, T., J.-C. Chen, H.-T. Chou, and H.-H. Chou, "Optimization of propagation models for the radio performance evaluation of wireless local area network," Proc. International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, 146-149, June 2003.
5. Ngo Nyobe, E. and E. Pemha, "Shape optimization using genetic algorithms and laser beam propagation for the determination of the diffusion coefficient in a hot turbulent jet of air," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 211-221, 2008.
6. Su, D., D.-M. Fu, and D. Yu, "Genetic algorithms and method of moments for the design of pifas ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 9-18, 2008.
7. Rostami, A. and A. Yazdanpanah-Goharrizi, "Hybridization of neural networks and genetic algorithms for identification of complex bragg gratings," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 643-664, 2008.
8. Kouveliotis, N. K., S. C. Panagiotou, P. K. Varlamos, T. D. Dimousios, and C.N. Capsalis, "Optimizing a PIFA using a genetic algorithms approach ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 453-461, 2008.
9. Zhai, Y. W., X. W. Shi, and Y. J. Zhao, "Optimized design of ideal and actual transformer based on improved micro-genetic algorithm ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 1761-1771, 2008.
10. Tu, T. C. and C. C. Chiu, "Path loss reduction in an urban area by genetic algorithms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 319-330, 2006.
11. Rostamiand, A. and A. Yazdanpanah-Goharrizi, "Optical transfer function: A new proposal for identification of complex brag gratings using genetic algorithm (optimization) ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 599-613, 2008.
12. Varlamos, P. K., E. D. Karageorgou, and C. N. Capsalis, "Impedance matching of a switched parasitis planar array using additional parasitic elements and method of genetic algorithms," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, 1097-1111, 2003.
13. Qing, A. and C. K. Lee, "Microwave imaging of parallel perfectly conducting cylinders using real-coded genetic algorithm coupled with Newton-Kantorivitch method ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, 799-800, 2000.
14. Yau, D. and S. Crozier, "A genetic algorithm/method of moments approach to the optimization of an RF coil for MRI applications ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, 753-754, 2003.
15. Ostlin, E., H. Suzuki, and H. J. Zepernick, "Evaluation of a new effective antenna height definition in ITU-R recommendation P.1546-1," Pro. Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications , 128-132, Oct. 2005.
16. Ostlin, E., H. Suzuki, and H. J. Zepernick, "Evaluation of the propagation model recommendation ITU-R P.1546 for mobile services in rural Australia ," IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology , Vol. 56, 2007.
17. Ostlin, E., H. J. Zepernick, and H. Suzuki, "Evaluation of the new semi-terrain based propagation model recommendation ITU-R P.1546 ," Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference , Vol. 1, 6-9, Oct. 2003.
18. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999.