The Development of numerical techniques enables us to analyze a large number of complex structures such as dielectric resonator (DR) filters and planar passive elements for coplanar monolithic microwave integrated circuits. As for DR filters, numerical analysis of these structure is highly intricate mostly because of their non-homogenous composition (dielectric constant of DR is greater than 80, dielectric constant of the maintainer is less than 2 and dielectric constant of the atmosphere is 1). Hence, numerical analysis of such a structure, either in time domain (TLM, FDTD and . . . ) or frequency domain (FE, moment, mode matching, boundary element, FD and . . . ) is both complex and time-consuming. From one hand, the non-homogenous structure and from the other hand, the high frequency of applications, demand high density meshing in order to achieve accurate response [1-3]. The explained method in this paper enables us to design a Chebyshev band passes filter by coaxially placing high-Q TM01δ dielectric resonators in a cutoff circular waveguide. In the presented work, discussions are made regarding high-Q resonators and interresonator coupling. It can be used for TE and TM modes of dielectric resonators. The advantages of such a method are simplicity and accuracy. Furthermore, this method is very quick in calculating resonant frequencies of a single dielectric resonator and coupling factor between two dielectric resonators. Compared with HFSS software, the total required time in this method is less than 1 percent. Based on the presented method, a DR filter is designed, implemented and fabricated and the results are provided. The fabricated filter has an exclusive feature, i.e., it contains no screw for frequency tuning and it gives out the desired result without a need to modification.
2. Ho, M., F.-S. Lai, S.-W. Tan, and P.-W. Chen, "Numerical simulation of the propagation of EM pulse through lossless non-uniform dielectric slab using characteristic-based method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 197-212, 2008.
3. Attiya, A. M., "Analysis of two-dimensional magneto-dielectric grating slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 195-216, 2007.
4. Kajfez, D. and D. Guillon, Dielectric Resonators, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1986.
5. Kobayashe, Y. and M. Minegishi, "A low-loss band pass filter using electrically coupled high-Q TM01δ dielectric rod resonators ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. MTT-36, 1727-1739, Dec. 1988.
6. Madrangeas, V., M. Aubourg, P. Guillon, S. Vigneron, and B. Theron, "Analysis and realization of L-band dielectric resonator microwave filter," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, 120-127, Jan. 1992.
7. Zinieris, M. and R. Sloon, "Analysis of dielectric resonator or modes using the radial mode matching technique ," IEEE High Frequency Postgraduate Student Colloquium, Sept. 19, 1997.
8. Baillargeat, D., S. Verdeyme, M. Aubourg, and P. Guillon, "CAD applying the finite-element method for dielectric-resonator filter ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 1, Jan. 1998.
9. Collin, R. E. and D. A. Ksienski, "Boundary element method for dielectric resonator and waveguides," Radio Sci., Vol. 22, No. 7, 1155-1167, Dec. 1987.
10. Zhao, X., C. Liu, and L. C. Shen, "Numerical analysis of TM010 cavity for dielectric measurement," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, 1951-1959, Oct. 1992.
11. Lotz, R., J. Ritter, and F. Arndt, "Locally conformed sub grid FD-FD technique for the analysis of 3D waveguide structures with curved metallic objects," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1999.
12. Con, S., S. O. Seang, H. Chang, D. Chullim, and G. An, "FDTT modeling of cylindrical dielectric resonator filters ," IEEE Tencon., 1999.
13. Chang, H.-W., "Field analysis of dielectric waveguide devices based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation – Mathematical and numerical formulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 329-347, 2008.
14. De, A. and G. V. Attimarad, "Numerical analysis of two dimensional tapered dielectric waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 44, 131-142, 2004.
15. Jung, B. H., "Time domain EFIE and MFIE formulations for analysis of transient electromagnetic scattering from 3-D dielectric objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 113-142, 2004.
16. Pereda, J. A., L. A. Vielva, A. Vegas, and A. Prieto, "Computation of resonant frequency and quality factor of open dielectric resonators by a combination of the Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) and Prong's methods ," IEEE Microwave Guided Wavelet, Vol. 2, 431-433, Nov. 1992.
17. Harms, P. H., J. F. Lee, and R. Mittra, "A study of the non orthogonal FDTD method versus the convention FDTD technique for computing resonant frequency of cylindrical cavities," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, 741-746, Apr. 1992. For Corrections, See Vol. MTT, 2115–2116, Nov. 1992.
18. Gil, F. H. and J. P. Martinez, "Analysis of dielectric resonators with tuning screw and supporting structure ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. MTT-33, 1453-1457, Dec. 1985.
19. Taheri, M. M. and D. Mirshikar-Syahkal, "Accurate determination of modes in dielectric-loaded cylindrical cavities using a onedimensional finite element method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. MTT-37, 1536-1541, Oct. 1989.
20. Guillon, D., J. P. Balabaud, and Y. Garault, "TM01p tubular and cylindrical dielectric resonator mode," IEEE MTT-SINT Microwave Symp. Dig., 163-166, 1981.
21. Saliminejad, R. and F. H. Kashani, "Novel and accurate method for calculation of coupling factor between two dielectric resonators," Amirkabir, 2006.
22. Su, C. and J. M. Guam, "Finite-difference analysis of dielectricloaded cavities using the simultaneous iteration of the power method with the chebyshev acceleration technique ," IEEE Trans., Vol. 42, No. 10, Oct. 1994.
23. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Microwave filters using waveguides filled by multi-layer dielectric," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 105-110, 2006.
24. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Microwave filters using waveguides filled by multi-layer dielectric ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 105-110, 2006.
25. Ahmed, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic scattering from a perfect electromagnetic conductor cylinder buried in a dielectric half-space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 25-38, 2008.
26. Kobayash, Y. and M. Mihegishi, "A band pass filter using high-Q dielectric ring resonators," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1987.
27. Nishikawa, T., H. Tanaka, K. Utsumi, Y. Ishikawa, and K. Wakino, "28 GHz band pass filter using high-Q dielectric resonators," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1990.
28. Kobayash, Y. and M. Minegishi, "A band pass filter using electrically coupled TM01δ dielectric rod resonators ," IEEE MTTS Digest, 1987.
29. Mielew Ski, J., A. Cwiki, and M. Mrozowski, "Accelerated FD analysis of dielectric resonators," IEEE Microwave and Guidedwave, Vol. 8, No. 11, Nov. 1998.
30. Hennings, A., E. Semouchkina, A. Braker, and G. Semouchkin, "Design optimization and implementation of bandpass filters with normally fed microstrip resonators loaded by high-permittivity dielectric ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 3, Mar. 2006.
31. Rauscher, C. and S. W. Kirchoefer, "Miniature ridge-waveguide filter module employing moldable dielectric material," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 3, Mar. 2006.
32. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meanderloop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics , Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008.
33. Hassan, A. and A. E. Nadeem, "Novel microstrip hairpin line narrowband bandpass filter using via ground holes ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 393-419, 2008.
34. Kinayman, N. and M. I. Aksun, Modern Microwave Circuits , Artech House, Boston, London, 2005.
35. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters Rf/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.