A study is made of the excitation of electromagnetic waves by spatially bounded, arbitrary sources in the presence of a cylindrical guiding structure immersed in an infinitely extended, homogeneous gyrotropic medium whose permittivity and permeability are both describable by tensors with nonzero off-diagonal elements. The axis of symmetry of the considered cylindrical structure is assumed to coincide with the gyrotropic axis. The total field is sought in terms of vector modal solutions of the source-free Maxwell equations. We determine the content of the modal spectrum and obtain an eigenfunction expansion of the source-excited field in terms of discreteand continuous-spectrum modes. The expansion coefficients of the modes are derived in explicit form. An expression for the total power radiated from sources is deduced and analyzed. It is shown that the developed approach makes it possible to readily represent the sourceexcited field without preliminary calculation of the dyadic Green's functions, which significantly facilitates the field evaluation.
2. Kondratenko, A. N., Plasma Waveguides, Atomizdat, Moscow, 1976 (in Russian).
3. Kondrat'ev, I. G., A. V. Kudrin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, Electrodynamics of Density Ducts in Magnetized Plasmas, Gordon and Breach, Amsterdam, 1999.
4. Platzman, P. M. and P. A. Wolff, Waves and Interactions in Solid State Plasmas, Academic Press, New York, 1973.
5. Hirota, R. and K. Suzuki, "Propagation of waves in a bounded solid state plasma in transverse magnetic fields," J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., Vol. 21, 1112-1118, 1996.
6. Kuno, H. J. and W. D. Hershberger, "Microwave Faraday effect and propagation in a circular solid-state plasma waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 15, No. 12, 661-668, 1967.
7. Suhl, H. and L. R. Walker, "Topics in guided-wave propagation through gyromagnetic media: Part I --- The completely filled cylindrical guide," Bell System Tech. J., Vol. 33, No. 5, 579-659, 1954.
8. Gurevich, A. G. and G. A. Melkov, Magnetization Oscillations and Waves, CRC Press, New York, 1996.
9. Smith, A. M., "Polarization and magnetooptic properties of single-mode optical fibre," Appl. Opt., Vol. 17, No. 1, 52-56, 1978.
10. Manenkov, A. B., "Irregular magneto-optical waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 29, No. 9, 906-910, 1981.
11. Felsen, L. B. and N. Marcuvitz, Radiation and Scattering of Waves, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1973.
12. Swanson, D. G., "Plasma Waves," Institute of Physics Publishing, 2003.
13. Liu, S., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "Theory of gyroelectric waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 29, 231-259, 2000.
14. Seshadri, S. R. and G. L. Yip, "Radiation from an electric dipole in an axially magnetised plasma column," Electron. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 1, 30-33, 1966.
15. Yip, G. L. and S. R. Seshadri, "Radiation from an electric dipole in an axially magnetized plasma column—Dipolar modes," Can. J. Phys., Vol. 45, No. 11, 3627-3648, 1967.
16. Manenkov, A. B., "Propagation of waves in open waveguides with anisotropic dielectrics," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 24, No. 1, 60-69, 1981.
17. Uzunoglu, N. K., "Propagation in cylindrical dielectric waveguides with gyroelectric cores ," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 128, No. 3, 164-167, 1981.
18. Uzunoglu, N. K., P. G. Cottis, and J. G. Fikioris, "Excitation of electromagnetic waves in a gyroelectric cylinder," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, No. 1, 90-95, 1995.
19. Manenkov, A. B., "Orthogonality relations for the eigenmodes of lossy anisotropic waveguides (fibres)," IEE Proc. J, Vol. 140, No. 3, 206-212, 1993.
20. Tan, E. L. and S. Y. Tan, "Cylindrical vector wave function representations of the dyadic Green’s functions for cylindrical multilayered gyrotropic bianisotropic media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 26, 199-222, 2000.
21. Habashy, T. M., S. M. Ali, J. A. Kong, and M. D. Grossi, "Dyadic Green's functions in a planar stratified, arbitrarily magnetized linear plasma," Radio Sci., Vol. 26, No. 3, 701-715, 1991.
22. Barkeshli, S., "Electromagnetic dyadic Green's functions for multilayered symmetric gyroelectric media," Radio Sci., Vol. 28, No. 1, 23-36, 1993.
23. Kondrat'ev, I. G., A. V. Kudrin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Excitation and propagation of electromagnetic waves in nonuniform density ducts," Phys. Scr., Vol. 54, No. 1, 96-112, 1996.
24. Kostrov, A. V., A. V. Kudrin, L. E. Kurina, G. A. Luchinin, A. A. Shaykin, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Whistlers in thermally generated ducts with enhanced plasma density: Excitation and propagation," Phys. Scr., Vol. 62, No. 1, 51-55, 2000.
25. Zaboronkova, T. M., A. V. Kudrin, and M. Yu. Lyakh, "Excitation of nonsymmetric waves by given sources in a magnetoplasma in the presence of a cylindrical plasma channel," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 46, No. 5-6, 407-424, 2003.
26. Kudrin, A. V., M. Yu. Lyakh, and T. M. Zaboronkova, "Wave emission from an open-ended cylindrical channel in a cold magnetoplasma," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 12, 1645-1648, 2001.
27. Li, L. W., N. H. Lim, W. Y. Yin, and J. A. Kong, "Eigenfunctional expansion of dyadic Green's functions in gyrotropic media using cylindrical vector wave functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 43, 101-121, 2003.
28. Eroglu, A. and J. K. Lee, "Dyadic Green's functions in an electrically gyrotropic medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 58, 223-241, 2006.
29. Eroglu, A. and J. K. Lee, "Simplified formulation of dyadic Green's functions and their duality relations for general anisotropic media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 77, 391-408, 2007.
30. Przezdziecki, S. and R. A. Hurd, "Diffraction by a half plane perpendicular to the distinguished axis of a gyrotropic medium (oblique incidence)," Can. J. Phys., Vol. 59, No. 3, 403-424, 1981.
31. Budden, K. G., Radio Waves in the Ionosphere, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1961.
32. Korn, G. A. and T. M. Korn, Mathematical Handbook for Scientists and Engineers, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1968.
33. Shevchenko, V. V., Continuous Transitions in Open Waveguides, Golem Press, Boulder, CO, 1971.
34. Marcuse, D., "Radiation losses of the dominant mode in round dielectric waveguides," Bell System Tech. J., Vol. 49, No. 8, 1665-1693, 1970.
35. Harrington, R. F. and A. T. Villeneuve, "Reciprocity relationships for gyrotropic media," IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 6, No. 3, 308-310, 1958.
36. Talanov, V. I., Selected Works, Inst. Appl. Phys., Nizhny Novgorod, 2008 (in Russian).
37. Vassallo, C., "Orthogonality and amplitude spectrum of radiation modes along open-boundary waveguides: comment," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 71, No. 10, 1282, 1981.
38. Vassallo, C., "Orthogonality and normalization of radiation modes in dielectric waveguides: an alternative derivation," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 73, No. 5, 680-683, 1983.
39. Manenkov, A. B., "Orthogonality conditions for leaky modes," Radiophys. Quantum Electron., Vol. 48, No. 5, 348-360, 2005.